Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should i buy a gun
yes
no
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Naming a handgun "Judge" is... something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

get a revolver you don't need to learn how to use it. You just pull the trigger and if the bullet is dead it goes to the next one. plull the trigger again and it will pop off. peace.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What do you want to shoot, op?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

check TAOFLEDERMAUS channel for those crazy rear end shotgun loads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThxeW-SEefs

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
As much as I would like it as a hobby I know I never will because one day it will end up in my mouth.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wendigee posted:

get a revolver you don't need to learn how to use it. You just pull the trigger and if the bullet is dead it goes to the next one. plull the trigger again and it will pop off. peace.

or you can buy ammo that isn't made in a pakistani sweatshop with substandard materials, machines and workers and enter the 20th century, grandpa

also for the love of god, don't tell anyone to buy a judge, this is a stupid idea

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the judge is for 45 year old fat guys who open carry and revolvers are for hipsters just get a glock or a HK45

comedy option get a mauser and throw $1500 worth of poo poo on it

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Navin Johnson posted:

Yes, a Taurus Judge is a good choice. Shoots .410 shells and .45 long colt.

If Taurus actually cared about making a functional firearm instead of a novelty gun then they would have built the thing a lot stronger to allow it to also take .454 Casull and .460 S&W. All of those cartridges will fit and shoot from the same chamber if it's long enough and stout enough (.454 and .460 are much higher pressure), and it'd actually be a sorta-handy backpacking gun at that point since .454/.460 are actually useful against larger animals. But that'd cost more money, and Taurus wouldn't be able to sell as many joke guns as a result.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Whats that really long Russian bolt action gun that can double as a club when it runs out of bullets? Those seem neato.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Blast of Confetti posted:

comedy option get a mauser and throw $1500 worth of poo poo on it

:saddowns:

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

Whats that really long Russian bolt action gun that can double as a club when it runs out of bullets? Those seem neato.

That's basically every infantry rifle made/fielded around the turn of the century. Everyone thought smokeless powder would mean that combat would take place at 1000+ meters, and they were used to super long barrels already since those were required with black powder rifles to get decent range. They later realized it was really dumb to have 50+ inch rifles that soldiers had to wield around, and barrel length fell a little.

You're probably thinking of the Mosin Nagant 1891, though. Or the 91/30 if you're thinking of the model that they made 20 billion of and that you used to be able to get surplused for $50.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

You're probably thinking of the Mosin Nagant 1891, though. Or the 91/30 if you're thinking of the model that they made 20 billion of and that you used to be able to get surplused for $50.

I got an M-44 when I was around 18 for about $100 at a gun show. Now I just bought a 91/30 a few months ago for about $280 or so. :corsair:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rad-daddio posted:

Sadly Mosins are $200+ in most places these days and actually kind of suck to shoot.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Icochet posted:

Naming a handgun "Judge" is... something

They are Brazilian. Please respect their culture

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

LOL

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the Mosin Nagant was a rifle that was obsolete by the 1930s, and the fact that it killed a fuckload of fascists is more of a testament to the willpower of the soviet people than any appreciable quality as a rifle.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Creamed Cormp posted:

the Mosin Nagant was a rifle that was obsolete by the 1930s, and the fact that it killed a fuckload of fascists is more of a testament to the willpower of the soviet people than any appreciable quality as a rifle.

That, and the fact that if you point enough Mosins (or any rifle for that matter) in the same general direction, you're gonna hit something.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Creamed Cormp posted:

The bolt action main infantry rifle as a concept was obsolete by the 1930s, but everyone was working on updating their machine guns in the interwar period because of how important they were in WWI. WWII kicked off too early for most of the countries to actually finish evaluating and implementing their various semi-auto rifle designs, so they had to use what they had in stock.

The Mosin is a truly dogshit gun, and the only reason they ever attained popularity in the US is because they were $50-$70 for a long time (along with dirt cheap surplus ammo) and Enemy at the Gates.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I love my Mosin I hit a tree with it once it was so exciting

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Creamed Cormp posted:

or you can buy ammo that isn't made in a pakistani sweatshop with substandard materials, machines and workers and enter the 20th century, grandpa

also for the love of god, don't tell anyone to buy a judge, this is a stupid idea

Buy a judge, yes.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I don't own a gun but I do own a bow and I figure anyone breaking into my house that sees me with it would assume I'm deranged enough not to gently caress with.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
This thread has inspired me to buy 2 guns; one to keep after the other. "Watching the watchers" if you will..

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They are Brazilian. Please respect their culture

It is pretty good. Instead of going for the old wimpy self-defense angle they have the balls to openly court the "seek and destroy a teenage delinquent" demographic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

45-70 Derringer

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
you dont even need the gun

just get bullets

and when someone messes w you, you just throw a bullet at them and say "next one's comin faster"

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
alternately just get a gun and no bullets and point it at ppl, they're never gonna be like "hmm I bet there are no bullets in there" it's just a chance they won't take

if you have a shotgun tho don't keep racking it. a loaded shotgun only racks once. rack it twice and any autist will be like "nope not loaded" and rube Goldberg you into a trap like The Incredible Machine, or even Mousetrap

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Buy a gun

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Buy a nug

actually buy multiple nugs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
how about these guns *flexes biceps, to which i have attached bump stocks*

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why buy a gun when u can buy a feeling

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
A bomb drone like in Venezuela is really what you need. Those involve controllers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gatekeeper posted:

if you have a shotgun tho don't keep racking it. a loaded shotgun only racks once. rack it twice and any autist will be like "nope not loaded" and rube Goldberg you into a trap like The Incredible Machine, or even Mousetrap

If you rack it again you'll just eject a shell. You'll still be ready to rock if you loaded more than one.

:goonsay:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Keep racking it until empty, just to dominate them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Icochet posted:

It is pretty good. Instead of going for the old wimpy self-defense angle they have the balls to openly court the "seek and destroy a teenage delinquent" demographic.

Hey have you seen all those Brazil videos? Shootouts with petty criminals in broad daylight - basically 80s movies and/or what Europeans think America is like.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWAqkTHCM9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QX5XqnebPA

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 9, 2018

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Navin Johnson posted:

Yes, a Taurus Judge is a good choice. Shoots .410 shells and .45 long colt.

The Smith & Wesson Governor is a bit better because it shoots 45 acp and has better overall performance.

That said, it's a little bit gimmicky. I'd recommend a revolver as well though. If you like a slightly large gun, 357 is your best bet.

Otherwise get a 38 special. Taurus makes an awesome 357 mag

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Better option is to buy a house with a lot of hallways and invest in a spear or halberd. Or a house with an open floor plan and a claymore. Always base your home defense choice around your home's layout or you'll end up getting stabbed because you're busy trying to pull your morningstar out of your hallway drywall.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2018

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
My wife won’t let me get a handgun, cause they are for killing people. She’s perfectly ok with my pre ban mini 14 with folding stock. I don’t think I’ve even seen an episode of A team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Have you considered a trebuchet, op?

• Locked thread