Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Alright well it's all kicking off today with some matches no one will watch, but this season has the potential to be fairly interesting. Will The Rangers mount a title challenge under the leadership of Stevie G? Will Brendan Rodgers choke on gristle from the Kilmarnock pie stand? Will Only An Excuse be funny again? Will Aberdeen recover after losing key players to powerhouses such as *checks notes* Salford City and Norwich? Will Dave King get charged with something again?

Whatever happens, it'll be a wild ride and I for one am hyped for The Race For Second Place.

Our contenders are:

Aberdeen F.C.
Last year's 2nd place holder. We probably did ok in the cups, I don't remember. Aberdeen are facing an uphill battle this year with key players like Adam Rooney and Kenny McLean having left the team for wealthier pastures, and it remains to be seen if McInnes' signings so far will do the trick. Star defender Scott McKenna will most likely sign for a few million quid by the end of this week or during the winter window. Keeping him for the season would be a success story in its own right. First game of the season is against Rangers at Pittodrie, and with a very good showing despite losing against Burnley in the Europa League, I'm fairly optimistic.

Celtic F.C.
Last year's winner, year before's winner, this year's winner, gently caress it. The fuckers will moan if they don't get an unbeaten season. Brendan Rodgers is having fun on easy mode. Maybe this year they'll decide not to buy every other team's best players and let them rot on the bench (yeah i'm still mad about Jonny Hayes). Probably not.

Dundee City
Dundee City, or FC, are one of the two teams in Dundee, the fourth largest "city" in Scotland. They, uhm... Oh! The Dundee stadiums are right next to each other, that's kind of cool. They were a stable bottom six team last season, and probably won't get relegated. Unlike Dundee United. Who were relegated. Which is funny.

Hamilton Academical F.C.
Noted thread favourite and Cool and Good small team Hamilton will probably do ok this year. Their manager is brain damaged lawyer Martin Canning, and he's a right sneaky bastard. Watch him fool the referees with his erratic movement.

Heart of Midlothian F.C.
Hearts have by far the coolest name in the SPFL, but they haven't been cool since losing insane Lithuanian mogul Vladimir Romanov and his shenanigans. They got hosed financially, similar to another Scottish club, but unlike that other club, they reacted by playing a cool team of young lads who tried real hard instead of splurging millions on fancy dan foreign frauds. Anyway. They have some decent players, but are managed by Craig Levein, famous for managing the national team with a strikerless formation. Idiot.

Hibernian F.C.
Thread unfavourite Hibs, the original plastic paddies, are back to do what they do best- be surprisingly good every now and again and disappoint the poo poo out of everyone the rest of the time. Neil Lennon is in charge, which is always entertaining, and you can look to Efe Ambrose being hilariously bad the rest of the time.

Kilmarnock F.C.
Kilmarnock apparently have good pies and squirrels on their crest, which is kinda fun. Kris Boyd still turns out for them, which is hilarious. They were poo poo, then Steve Clarke showed up, and they were good.

Livingston F.C.
Newly promoted Livingston are... Not that interesting, I guess. Kenny Miller is player/manager. Livingston is bigger than Perth but doesn't have a cathedral, so it counts as a town rather than a city. I guess that sucks.

Motherwell F.C.
Motherwell are from Motherwell, which is a place. I don't recognise a single name in their roster. They Louis Moult once, he was good. Hopefully we sign him. Probably mid- or low-table finish.

The Rangers F.C.
The newest club in Scotland, somehow these good old hardworking knife enthusiasts came into a bit of money and signed Steven Gerrard to manage them. They splurged like hell last season in a desperate bid to challenge Celtic but got their asses handed to them by the Official 2nd Best Team in Scotland and had to settle for third. This year will most likely be another race for 2nd place between the Zombies and Aberdeen, which is kinda fun.

St Johnstone F.C.
St Johnstone are a Perth team and have a pretty sound fanbase. They've had some good runs lately and like a bit of an underdog story. Fun team to watch.

St Mirren
Newly promoted. Don't know anything about them at this point. Wait and see, I guess. I expect they'll get hammered.

Post itt about stabbing techniques, meat pies, acceptable uses for bovril, leigh griffiths' hair transplants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Here's to Stevie G bringing his league winning experience to the Rangers.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

From the Diddy league

Dundee Utd still shite? Aye.
:(

Gonna be a long season at this rate

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I hope Killie do well because Stevie Clarke is cool and good and the best Stevie managing in this league.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/SaintSlimJim/status/1025768081220616192

Potato-quality video for potato-quality goalkeeping

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hearts are cool

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Her Dryer posted:

https://twitter.com/SaintSlimJim/status/1025768081220616192

Potato-quality video for potato-quality goalkeeping

Whats that disgusting looking thing on the screen

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It is a leech

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Very sporting of the rangers to give Aberdeen a man advantage

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Rangers look like they've made very good signings at centre half and goalkeeper.

On the other hand they're playing against a striker with one career goal lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Scottish football

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
https://streamable.com/y71ql

"Noooooo...."

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Kurtofan posted:

turn on your monitor

Hibs are going to score some amount of goals this season :staredog:

jre fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 5, 2018

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shrapnig posted:

Scottish football

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
jesus christ that was unacceptable, sick to death of mcinnes putting defensive formations against the rangers

and get some better players signed ffs!

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

jesus christ that was unacceptable, sick to death of mcinnes putting defensive formations against the rangers

and get some better players signed ffs!

I watched spells of the second half and Aberdeen looked abysmal.Think you scored with your only shot on target after playing against ten me for 80 minutes.

Was happy with Celtic's perfomance albeit Livingston looked pretty poo poo. Big Eddy has been superb so far.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The second best team in Scotland couldn't even beat a dead team that doesn't exist when they were one zombie short, it's grim up north

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

HJB posted:

The second best team in Scotland couldn't even beat a dead team that doesn't exist when they were one zombie short, it's grim up north

it really loving is. our best striker hosed off to salford city and any club budget is being put aside for the new stadium.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Coohoolin posted:

it really loving is. our best striker hosed off to salford city and any club budget is being put aside for the new stadium.

And paying for the rights to nightswimming on the PA for Mackay-Stevens. :eng101:

Morelos is a lost cause now and nothing he does short of launching his knee into Scott Browns face will win back the support, you can be petulant and amazing and people will make excuses but petulant and full of running gets you gently caress all. Can’t see them buying in anyone now though, and I’m praying to god it’s not a gamble on Defoe.

Word that they’re signing Barisic as a left back from the team we just beat from Croatia is every ‘Scottish scouting setup that can’t be hosed’ so I’m suprised by it, but a back 4 of him, Goldson, Katic and Flanagan would probably halve the number of goals conceded on last season.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

And paying for the rights to nightswimming on the PA for Mackay-Stevens. :eng101:

Morelos is a lost cause now and nothing he does short of launching his knee into Scott Browns face will win back the support, you can be petulant and amazing and people will make excuses but petulant and full of running gets you gently caress all. Can’t see them buying in anyone now though, and I’m praying to god it’s not a gamble on Defoe.

Word that they’re signing Barisic as a left back from the team we just beat from Croatia is every ‘Scottish scouting setup that can’t be hosed’ so I’m suprised by it, but a back 4 of him, Goldson, Katic and Flanagan would probably halve the number of goals conceded on last season.

Wouldn't this mean dropping your captain, Tavernier?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Her Dryer posted:

Wouldn't this mean dropping your captain, Tavernier?

I think so, but Tav has always been an absolute liability defending a more modern style of full back and Gerrard has been moving Candeias inside in pre-season so I don’t know how much of that partnership we’re likely to see, which is a large part of what makes him effective, maybe moving him forward or as the wingback in a 5?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Aberdeen just signed James Wilson on a season long loan from Man Utd. 22 years old, caps at youth level for England and has actually played AND scored for Man Utd!!!

He's even on £30k a week with them and they're paying (most of) his wages. Does that make him the highest paid player in the SPL? Do Celtic still have a wage cap?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Dour, shite football with a coach who should have left last season? Could he not have stayed in Manchester?

That’s a great deal for Aberdeen mind.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
So, quick recap of the past week for Celtic:

-Long term signing target John McGinn, who we have been pursuing since January as a replacement for our aging captain Scott Brown, signed for Aston Villa after Celtic tried to lowball Hibs (who are poo poo). Rodgers immediately indicates his annoyance at our transfer policies, how slow we are to complete deals, lack of quality ect.

-Turn down a bid rumoured to be around £9million from Fulham for Dedryk Boyata, with Rodgers clearly deciding that we'll need him for our critically important CL qualifying games.

-Get knocked out anyway by a solid but not-invincible AEK Athens side, losing 3-2 on aggregate. Boyata refuses to play, clearly wanting a move away. Our centre back options consists of a 20 year old midfielder-turned-defender, two objectively terrible players and a perma-injured German who's played one game since joining in January. We promptly concede 3 very soft goals from crosses.

-Amidst this we get beat 1-0 by Hearts after trying to rest some of our first team players and instead playing with garbage wastemen signed by Rodgers since he came, like Johnny Hayes and Eboue Kouassi. We are now a point behind Gerrard's revitalized Rangers with a derby game coming up soon.

Tough times!

Her Dryer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 14, 2018

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

fuckin boo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

If you ignore that Lafferty scored the goal in the Hearts game it’ll just hurt more when he scores the winner in the old firm, accept that it’s going to happen and mourn ahead of time.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Total Meatlove posted:

Dour, shite football with a coach who should have left last season? Could he not have stayed in Manchester?

30k a week and that's only because he was "the next big thing" before a foot injury and an (alleged) attitude problem in training. He's probably realised the writings on the wall and it's time to prove himself in the SPL before leapfrogging to a Championship team on 15-20k a week where he can actually have something resembling a top-flight career.

His other alternative is sitting around doing nothing in Manchester before being released and actually having to transfer to an SPL side and I seriously doubt he wants to do that.

St Mirren in the League Cup on Saturday is an ideal proving ground for him. Of course this is McInnes so it'll be Stevie May till the 84th minute, before Wilson comes on, scores a hat trick and is then dropped to the reserves for the next three months.

But second place is still virtually guaranteed our year etc

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

He's a permacrock that wasn't included in the United preseason squad at all this summer.

He scored twice on his debut for United when Giggs was in charge but hasn't scored a goal in the Premier League in almost 4 years which is a funny thing to say about a player who is 22. He'll be good in Scotland because the standard is poo poo and may make his way back to the Championship/lower level Premier League club if he gets regular football and stays fit.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
He's 20/1 for top goal scorer with SkyBet. Stevie May is 40/1 lol

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Today I also learnt that James Maddison, who played 14 games for Aberdeen the season before last, joined Leicester in June for £20million :aaa:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He was Leicester’s best player in their opening fixture.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
If I was a politician I'd run on a campaign to nationalise the SPL and pump it full of oil money.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Also Jonny Hayes is only struggling because you fuckers refuse to play him, but congrats on poaching one of our best players who scored against you in a cup final.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

Also Jonny Hayes is only struggling because you fuckers refuse to play him, but congrats on poaching one of our best players who scored against you in a cup final.

I think the broken leg and six months recovery might have been a factor in his lack of appearances.

Total Meatlove posted:

If you ignore that Lafferty scored the goal in the Hearts game it’ll just hurt more when he scores the winner in the old firm, accept that it’s going to happen and mourn ahead of time.

Imagine I crudely photoshopped sevco over scouse in that

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

jre posted:

I think the broken leg and six months recovery might have been a factor in his lack of appearances.

Imagine I crudely photoshopped sevco over scouse in that

Imagine I crudely photoshopped ‘Priorities’ over this

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So how bad were Celtic actually against Partick, or are my pals just being hyperbolic and negative?

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

So how bad were Celtic actually against Partick, or are my pals just being hyperbolic and negative?

Not great but far from bad. Just very very slow tempo, as we were last year, combined with the absolute megaclown that is Jack Hendry.

There's a lot of Celtic fans who have grown so used to Rangers being comically awful, both on and off the field, that they literally can't comprehend them being actually competent. They've been one last minute equalizer against Aberdeen away from a pretty much perfect start to their season. Meanwhile we still seem to be regressing. I'd be lying if i said I was't a bit concerned going forward, unless we actually go out and buy some non-clown defenders.

On the plus side: Emilio Izzaguire is a loving legend, so happy he's back.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I don’t think anyone is seriously expecting a title push, just to run Celtic within 4-5 games and a trophy.

The news that ufa might not get their visas is weird and will only encourage the moon bowlers.

I was dead wrong about Morelos now he’s banging in goals

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Her Dryer posted:

Not great but far from bad. Just very very slow tempo, as we were last year, combined with the absolute megaclown that is Jack Hendry.

There's a lot of Celtic fans who have grown so used to Rangers being comically awful, both on and off the field, that they literally can't comprehend them being actually competent. They've been one last minute equalizer against Aberdeen away from a pretty much perfect start to their season. Meanwhile we still seem to be regressing. I'd be lying if i said I was't a bit concerned going forward, unless we actually go out and buy some non-clown defenders.

On the plus side: Emilio Izzaguire is a loving legend, so happy he's back.

Aberdeen were loving awful that first game though so I wouldn't read much into it.

in other news: lol kenny miller hosed off from livi after what, 7 weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I see Celtic have learned the lessons of the John McGinn fiasco and are offering 35% of Scott McKenna's asking price.