Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champs?
This poll is closed.
Dillashaw, Johnson 35 52.24%
Garbrandt, Johnson 24 35.82%
Dillashaw, Cejudo 5 7.46%
Garbrandt, Cejudo 3 4.48%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jota posted:

it is a shame cody kept losing his discipline god drat TJ is a killer

Yea he really needs to learn discipline and patience.

If you didn't KO him in the one or two punches don't just charge and stand there swinging like a madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i enjoyed these fight punchings

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Stealth Tiger posted:

Is Dom still an active fighter?

soon

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

chaleski posted:

Since when does defending your belt once against the guy you took the belt from make you the GOAT?

Probably when you've won the belt and defended it multiple times previously

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

chaleski posted:

Since when does defending your belt once against the guy you took the belt from make you the GOAT?

The argument would be theres been two guys who've looked nigh invincible at bantamweight cruz and barao.

Dj destroyed barao and knocked out the guy who destroyed cruz twice in less than 3 rounds.

I would think tj needs to fight (again) and beat cruz to cement that legacy but even then... tj has looked better than anyone else imo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
TJ is undefeated aside aside from the one other guy even considered for Bantam Goat and has far more finishes against people at the top Dom never thought or lost to.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Rematch Cruz and Garbrandt and see if Cruz makes the adjustments.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

chaleski posted:

Especially since the other guy who has a good argument for that title beat him

meatloafkitten
Mar 2, 2004

To the KISS-copter!

chaleski posted:

Well, this isn't the first time he's held the belt. The fight where he lost it was also kind of an "ehhh" decision.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grats to the 3 people who picked the winners right on the poll

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I honestly wonder if this would have been a different pair of fights if garbrandt came out with a more patient plan like against cruz than the raw emotion he used twice when facing TJ.

I know if you choose to fight that way and lose its all on you but gotta wonder.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/UFCAUS/videos/2556490164377120/

Look at that poo poo, lol.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Grats to the 3 people who picked the winners right on the poll

jerusalem can you publicize who they were

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TJ didn't even really have to change his game plan

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Diddie posted:

Especially since the other guy who has a good argument for that title beat him

Dillashaw/Cruz was crazy close and Cruz got convincingly clowned by Garbrandt.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I must have drank a lot in 2014 and 2015 because I remember Renan Barao being an absolute killer and I don't remember TJ being the guy to kill him

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

meatloafkitten posted:

Well, this isn't the first time he's held the belt. The fight where he lost it was also kind of an "ehhh" decision.

I thought tj won that fight when i watched it either way it was razor close.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

The guys at 135 really look like they are in a different sport than 125. I don't have a lot of confidence in either DJ or Cejudo moving up

DJ was basically saying he wasn't being paid nearly enough to consider moving up, TJ was gonna (try to) come down to him.

If TJ ends up wiping the floor with Cejudo at 135, I still would definitely want to see that.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Joe Rogan looks like a white walker.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

I must have drank a lot in 2014 and 2015 because I remember Renan Barao being an absolute killer and I don't remember TJ being the guy to kill him

Tj iirc was a longer underdog than holm was against rousey.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

loving Cody starts winging shots in there like he's the second coming of Chuck Liddell with the chin of late Liddell.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

For all the technique and fight IQ that TJ has, it is important to remember that this motherfucker can stand and bang with you too goddammit so get hosed you want a war you can get a loving war look at this loving finishing instinct

Who is better than TJ Dillashaw when it comes to cutting angles at boxing distance? He might've dropped that decision to Cruz only because he didn't have a strategy for what to do about the way Cruz fought from way outside, halfway across the octagon. Exchanging with him in the pocket seems like suicide unless you have an iron head like Lineker. He's won two brutal stoppages apiece against Renan Barao and Cody Garbrandt because they bit down and tried to swing with him.

edit:

Le Saboteur posted:

loving Cody starts winging shots in there like he's the second coming of Chuck Liddell with the chin of late Liddell.

the thing of it is, that worked for Cody against everybody else he fought because he has the hand speed and power to turn a bad risk into a sure thing against most people. TJ is just on another level when it's in a phone booth.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 5, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

TJ didn't even really have to change his game plan

He fought sloppier and worse and KO’d him quicker.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

BlindSite posted:

You are right. TJ was +765 and Holm was only +700

https://www.bestfightodds.com/fighters/T-J-Dillashaw-3053
https://www.bestfightodds.com/fighters/Holly-Holm-3908

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Who is better than TJ Dillashaw when it comes to cutting angles at boxing distance? He might've dropped that decision to Cruz only because he didn't have a strategy for what to do about the way Cruz fought from way outside, halfway across the octagon. Exchanging with him in the pocket seems like suicide unless you have an iron head like Lineker. He's won two brutal stoppages apiece against Renan Barao and Cody Garbrandt because they bit down and tried to swing with him.

edit:

the thing of it is, that worked for Cody against everybody else he fought because he has the hand speed and power to turn a bad risk into a sure thing against most people. TJ is just on another level when it's in a phone booth.

Eh. Thats a little bit of creative license bruv. Cody was a lot more calm and considered in his approach against cruz for instance.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Eh. Thats a little bit of creative license bruv. Cody was a lot more calm and considered in his approach against cruz for instance.

Cody did the same thing against Cruz of planting his feet, disregarding angles and exchanging he just trusted his power to beat Cruz’.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Man, it's gonna be loving ridiculous if they don't book the immediate rematch for DJ.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BlindSite posted:

-1400 Rousey vs. +830 Holm UFC 193
-1300 St. Pierre vs. +850 Serra UFC 69
-1000 Alcântara vs. +700 Saenz UFC Fight Night 61
-1000 Barão vs. +650 Dillashaw UFC 173
-900 Penn vs. +588 Edgar UFC 112

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-betting-odds/oddsmaker-upsets-all

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Guess it depends on the source.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

BlindSite posted:

True. I remember he got sloppy one time early on against Cruz and he got cracked, but that just reminded him to be disciplined. But I'm not trying to say Cody fought stupid against other people, I think he had an instinct that once the guy is hurt, he can go in and finish the job. I'm probably thinking mostly of what he did to Almeida.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

Guess it depends on the source.

Yea apparently. And those are two big differences as well.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Tj is so sick

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

True. I remember he got sloppy one time early on against Cruz and he got cracked, but that just reminded him to be disciplined. But I'm not trying to say Cody fought stupid against other people, I think he had an instinct that once the guy is hurt, he can go in and finish the job. I'm probably thinking mostly of what he did to Almeida.

Almeida’s a largely stationary target with little head movement and a weak chin.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cody didn’t fight different against Cruz than tj. Tj is just way better and more dangerous than Cruz. Peace

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

TJ would annihilate Cejudo at 135.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If Cody wasn't so obsessed with anger and avenging the death of Uriah's feelings he might not have been charging in like someone who didn't think his opponent could punch

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Almeida’s a largely stationary target with little head movement and a weak chin.

at the time they fought Almeida was 20-0 (16 by t/ko and 3 by submission)

I'm probably expressing this idea poorly, but what I'm trying to say is I think Cody is physically gifted with speed and punching power, and he lost to TJ twice in a row in basically the same way because no one else ever really made him pay for taking bad risks in a brawl.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

TJ beat Cody with his own game the first time and with Cody’s own game the second time.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Looking at the preliminary stats for DJ/Cejudo and my mind just reels at this decision further. https://imgur.com/a/21TCPgt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If TJ would have been a guy without arms that couldn't punch back Cody would have really hosed him up

• Locked thread