Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So... I hate to say this, because Maggie Gyllenhaal is a great actress, but Candy's whole schtick is starting to wear thin. Last season I felt like she was a struggling, developing, three-dimensional character. This season she feels like a one-note cutout. With so many great characters interacting with each other in new and interesting ways, she's really starting to seem shallow, and the premise they're running with right now isn't as interesting or profound as the showrunners seem to think it is.

After really getting into last week's episode, this week's felt a little slow -- it definitely suffered from being a "the season has picked up momentum and something's going to go down but we've got to build tension some more" episode. I have to say, though, that the way this show has handled the mob element is pretty genius. I keep expecting every scene involving the mobsters -- like the "are these all left shoes?" scene -- suddenly to turn violent, and I keep being surprised when they don't. This show has to have the most decent mobsters I can think of in a crime drama.

Cue next week's episode when Frankie gets killed after finally pushing things too far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Count me in as another viewer who totally didn't expect David Simon to give us the satisfaction of seeing CC murdered, let alone by Bobby and Frankie. Definitely a good ending to the season, especially since it just drove home the metaphorical disappearance of his ilk. Also, while I understand that Larry was being presented as an alternative model of how the pimps could change with the times, I still think the show was too kind to him. He was still a massive rear end in a top hat who treated women like poo poo, and while the last episode emphasized this with that girl who went to prison getting in his face, it's gone too easy on him for about half the season.

Thinking back now on the season as a whole, the one element that really didn't seem like it went anywhere was the whole subplot with Paul, his new bar, and his relationship falling apart. I presume that this was only included so that they can integrate the inevitable AIDS subplot into the show next season. Speaking of, since AIDS didn't really become publicly known until about 1982, I presume that the next season will pick up then or shortly thereafter.

The scene with Gene (the guy from the mayor's office) and Chris talking about trying to get more wholesome businesses into Times Square just made me realize how the series will end:

quote:

GENE stands on a Times Square sidewalk with his arms crossed, looking smugly across the street.

GENE: We finally did it. We cleaned up THE DEUCE.

Cut to a shot of what he's looking at: the storefront of newly opened THE M&M'S STORE, swarmed my Midwestern tourists.

~Fin~

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 30, 2018

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

there's still another episode to air next week

Whoa... Could've sworn that I looked it up and there were only eight episodes. That's a nice surprise!

• Locked thread