Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Agent355 posted:

I brought this to him and he was totally thinking of a kokpelli but he's not sure that's the band. So you get half credit which is still pretty good!

I'll take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
And here I am thinking it was Jethro Tull.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The doppelganger gate doesn't cycle by zone transition or anything, it's entirely based on time. You could have just waited in front of the gate in the grail room until its eyes started to flash green. I don't think you need to enter when the eyes are actually green either, you might have just got unlucky with the gate moving away just as you entered it.

That "trap" glyph in the Underworld also has an actual purpose, although it won't be seen for a little while yet (and I'm not sure it's strictly necessary).

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So can you go to Surtr's guardian and rub it in her face after killing Surtr or does she no longer have anything to say after all the bluster?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

There's another hint to the third Osiris puzzle in the room where the dog statue was in the underworld:
"The words of the trials are the words of the lords.
The three pillars of light are the lords of the riddles."

Could you show off the "correct" way to find Vidofnir? It's a good puzzle but it seems a lot of people skip it by reaching him from the underworld.

mortons stork posted:

So can you go to Surtr's guardian and rub it in her face after killing Surtr or does she no longer have anything to say after all the bluster?

She goes 'ah poo poo guess I'll die' then if you revisit her she's gone lmao get bent sinmara

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Haha, love that attention to detail in these games.

On a different note, Agent mentioned in the video that we generally only see puzzles once we have all the elements to figure them out, and wondered if he should at least explore them first. For me personally, part of the fun of watching this is attempting to make sense of the world and trying to guess for myself if something I've seen has any relation to some puzzle I'm seeing, before you explain it anyway. So generally I don't even get the time to think about it for a while and you immediately bring up the solution. It's a minor thing, I recognize, because ultimately I'm not the one playing, so my grasp of the place's geography is tenuous at best, and so is my grasp of many other relevant things in the gameplay, which means most of the time I won't be able to figure anything out by myself. Actually, I think just being aware that there's a particular puzzle somewhere that is there, blocking an important path to a cool item or secret as opposed to seeing it for the first time when solving it would help with orienteering around the ruins. It helps to understand exactly why that puzzle is important now.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Procrastine posted:

There's another hint to the third Osiris puzzle in the room where the dog statue was in the underworld:
"The words of the trials are the words of the lords.
The three pillars of light are the lords of the riddles."

Could you show off the "correct" way to find Vidofnir? It's a good puzzle but it seems a lot of people skip it by reaching him from the underworld.

She goes 'ah poo poo guess I'll die' then if you revisit her she's gone lmao get bent sinmara

I wasn't aware there's a way to get to vidofnir outside the underworld :eyepop:

mortons stork posted:

Haha, love that attention to detail in these games.

On a different note, Agent mentioned in the video that we generally only see puzzles once we have all the elements to figure them out, and wondered if he should at least explore them first. For me personally, part of the fun of watching this is attempting to make sense of the world and trying to guess for myself if something I've seen has any relation to some puzzle I'm seeing, before you explain it anyway. So generally I don't even get the time to think about it for a while and you immediately bring up the solution. It's a minor thing, I recognize, because ultimately I'm not the one playing, so my grasp of the place's geography is tenuous at best, and so is my grasp of many other relevant things in the gameplay, which means most of the time I won't be able to figure anything out by myself. Actually, I think just being aware that there's a particular puzzle somewhere that is there, blocking an important path to a cool item or secret as opposed to seeing it for the first time when solving it would help with orienteering around the ruins. It helps to understand exactly why that puzzle is important now.

Yeah I hear yah but it's just really hard to route without having a ton of backtracking and time wasting. I try not to solve puzzles before we run into the reason we need to solve it but these later episodes I find myself just solving things because we have all the clues because the actual roadblock is not obvious or very very backtrack-y.

The earlier episodes were better for it but it's just real tough now since we've basically been in every room in the dungeon at some point but it might've been 10 videos since we saw the roadblock.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 29, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Yeah I hear yah but it's just really hard to route without having a ton of backtracking and time wasting. I try not to solve puzzles before we run into the reason we need to solve it but these later episodes I find myself just solving things because we have all the clues because the actual roadblock is not obvious or very very backtrack-y.

The earlier episodes were better for it but it's just real tough now since we've basically been in every room in the dungeon at some point but it might've been 10 videos since we saw the roadblock.

Yeah I guess that's also true, backtracking is a huge issue in these kinds of games, and it's hard to strike a balance. And yeah the earlier videos were more in a format of exploring as far as possible and then going 'oh yeah this is as much as we can do here' or 'yea this will be relevant later' so I guess there's nothing for it ultimately. That sense of the geography necessary for solving the puzzles (which I had to develop for playing La-Mulana 1) is just a matter of playing and isn't going to be easy to transpose into the videos.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I actually found them before I even got there, it was probably the last thing I did before I decided I was not clever enough for the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent355 posted:

yeah there's a mantra puzzle in the stretch of rooms right above where their room is on the map. i forget where the tablet is that talks about it but it's how i first came upon it.

i think it's just 'sun' and 'moon' incanted together, iirc. maybe?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Agent355 posted:

Icefire Treetop, G-2 Tablet posted:

Incant words in the midst of the ominous, twisting swelter.
The two words that will illumine day and night.
That will lead to Underworld Gate, where Vidofnir waits.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The part of the puzzle I like is that it's mentioned that "Vidofnir lives at Yggdrasil's peak. At the treetop's highest point.", so is he at the top of Icefire Treetop? No, he's at the bottom because as Brahma shows, Yggdrasil in Eg-Lana is upside-down. You can also deduce this from the layout of Roots of Yggdrasil having the roots at the top, or I believe Mulbruk just tells you if she feels like it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zushio posted:

And here I am thinking it was Jethro Tull.
You and me both, buddy. Gotta be the guy with the flute part.

e: Holy gently caress they made Surtr bearable! RNG-based instakills really do not a fun boss make.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 2, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 19

Hey it's Monday!

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 4, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They added a whistle noise to the soldiers and gave you enough time to speak to Alviss for a third time, but they still did not remove that white line at 8:51.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
there is a moral obligation to give us xelpud that was not fulfilled with this video. i am sorely disappointed in you.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

They added a whistle noise to the soldiers and gave you enough time to speak to Alviss for a third time, but they still did not remove that white line at 8:51.

Isn't that line just a part of the background? It looks like a lit up edge to some vertical architecture or something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You regularly jump over it and it doesn't do anything with future events. Just a long vertical line staring you in the face.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
I have to say, watching this LP is really entertaining. I shared the links with a friend of mine, and he found it fairly entertaining to. I'm also enjoying the lore dumps after most updates. I'm learning a lot!

If I can say one thing though - Episode 15 for some reason is not in the Youtube Playlist. The episode is there, I just... Found it a little confusing when I went from 14 to 16 since I was missing some context for a while, and had to dig for a bit to come back to 15 first.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh, oops, thanks for pointing it out. I'll go add it in now.

There's a little checkbox to add stuff to playlists when you upload videos so I must've just forgot that one.

Episode 20 is uploading to youtube currently for people who are like 'hey what happened to monday'

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 20

It's Monday somewhere.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Just wanted to add that I'm really enjoying this LP and I'm glad you're doing it! I've legit watched through your original La-Mulana run multiple times, because you did such a great job at showing off how cool the game is, both in terms of its puzzles and the way it reveals its story, and also how very, very much I do not ever want to actually play it myself.

This one, too, does such a good job of drip-feeding the story/worldbuilding at such a deliberate pace that it genuinely feels like you're uncovering it and not just playing through to the next infodump. Thanks for the fun videos!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The last form of Echidna is looking a little undead and her hands fall off, which you can see a glitch right at the death animation. I think I got there around 50 hours. She also has a super attack of firing four beams that block your movement.

Fenrir was a stupid jump scare and I hate it forever.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

typhon kinda looks like god from monty python and the holy grail.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
That was a real good subversion of expectations, the guys who like to experiment with the technology to turn themselves into grotesque biomechanical horrors are actually pretty cool and content to chill in their new forms, and instead the Greek gods are the real assholes who even built a computer to keep the gigas shuttered in. Or maybe they were actually experimenting on them or hoping to control the results of one of the experiments?

Anyway, I guess that's why Hermes said that no one remembers why they fight. They'd have to remember that they're being dicks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, never knew about Echidna having different versions. That does make her a lot cooler since one of my biggest complaints with this game is rehashed bosses and she seemed a carbon copy of Tiamat.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

mortons stork posted:

That was a real good subversion of expectations, the guys who like to experiment with the technology to turn themselves into grotesque biomechanical horrors are actually pretty cool and content to chill in their new forms, and instead the Greek gods are the real assholes who even built a computer to keep the gigas shuttered in. Or maybe they were actually experimenting on them or hoping to control the results of one of the experiments?

Anyway, I guess that's why Hermes said that no one remembers why they fight. They'd have to remember that they're being dicks.

I think the implication of the Typhon shutdown message is that the Olympians were harvesting the Gigas to power their own attempt to take over Eg-Lana.

Finding the room where Echidna was worshiped took me FOREVER. I never played the first game and only half-remembered the LPs I'd seen (including Agent355's), and I just never actually noticed the existence of that screen transition no matter how often I went by.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

anilEhilated posted:

Wow, never knew about Echidna having different versions. That does make her a lot cooler since one of my biggest complaints with this game is rehashed bosses and she seemed a carbon copy of Tiamat.

This actually makes a lot of sense mythologically, though! Echidna and Tiamat fill almost exactly the same "role" within their respective pantheons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i might be wrong but aren't they both members of the first children as well?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Occultatio posted:

This actually makes a lot of sense mythologically, though! Echidna and Tiamat fill almost exactly the same "role" within their respective pantheons.
I know, but it doesn't make a very compelling boss (re)fight.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

honestly i kinda assumed echidna was gonna be a rehash of tiamat from the moment i noticed echidna was even in the dang game.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

also i might be wrong but aren't they both members of the first children as well?

Nah, one of the Tython logs mentions that Nuwa, Tiamat, and Echidna were all attempts by the third children to aquire the power of the mother, of them, Nuwa was basically a failure and Tiamat escaped. Only Echidna was somewhat of a success.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 21

Best video yet? Probably.

Please use the following space provided to discuss how La mulana 2 has better world building than dark souls.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I spent zero hours making this for you.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You can fight Anu early if you don't activate the dais behind the two pillars of light. Anzu, the time stop boss, won't appear until you do.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Agent355 posted:

Please use the following space provided to discuss how La mulana 2 has better world building than dark souls.

It's better at world building than dark souls because it actually tries to build a world and dark souls doesn't.

Dark Souls is telling a half-remembered story and lets you fill in the details.

La-Mulana 2 is building a cool world and showing you how it works.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tendales posted:

I spent zero hours making this for you.

Thank you for doing this. I was going to try to redo the opening with Lumisa getting crushed by the death egg but it's far too late for me to even start working on that.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
I like how the little icon at the corner of the loading screen is a little hint for this puzzle on how to arrange the corridors of blood.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Couldn't you shoot at Anu when he's doing sick barrel rolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Mentioned this on the YT comments, but may as well post here, as it's a cool detail you missed.

The last of the 12 skulls you picked up was the skull of Anu. Anu, of course, is also the boss you beat. He's the last of the sky people, or at least a projection of him. One of the NPCs you see in, I want to say, the Shrine, mentions that the snake people were enslaved by the Sky People, and if you can break the control, they'll be helpful allies. I don't remember what he tells you, but you should go talk to the two snake NPCs in Ancient Chaos for some little story stuff and a hint you probably don't need. The other one is in that room the "shortcut" leads to.