Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

The last of the 12 skulls you picked up was the skull of Anu. Anu, of course, is also the boss you beat.

Hmm. I wonder if that implies that the names of the skulls aren't the names of the aliens that those are the skulls of, but of the various earth children in different generations of Children that the aliens were whispering to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I didn't stick around to be crushed by the pyramid traps. I was teleporting out of new areas so often to avoid traps since it made me paranoid. Didn't expect the moon to fall on me when warping out, but I guessed the other thing would fall.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Please use the following space provided to discuss how La mulana 2 has better world building than dark souls.

When you fail in Dark Souls, the game is laughing AT you.

When you fail in La Mulana, the game is laughing WITH you and at you.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also believe tha La Mulana 1 has some of the best world building I've ever seen done in a game. And the first LP was pretty much the perfect way to experience it because I would completely give up playing it after a couple of hours.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

Couldn't you shoot at Anu when he's doing sick barrel rolls?
Not sure about the gun, but flares used to be the best way of fighting him - it seems the patches gave him a lot less HP. But even that was tricky; you needed to time the flares to get past the armored plane while it was banking so the explosion would hit his head. Took a lot of flares, though.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
There was an item to make you immune to bats, and you left it till near the end? What the hell? Seeing how much you run into bats during the LP I would have thought that would be the first thing you rush for.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Since you're coming up on the end, if you haven't already recorded the video, can I request that you talk to Freya until she runs out of things to say? She has more lore for you.

Jade Star posted:

There was an item to make you immune to bats, and you left it till near the end? What the hell? Seeing how much you run into bats during the LP I would have thought that would be the first thing you rush for.

Agent knows what the people want, and who is he to deny us the joy of watching him run into bats?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Procrastine posted:

can I request that you talk to Freya until she runs out of things to say? She has more lore for you.

Sure, I'll do this and also the snake people thing because I have a big fetish for denying people satisfying conclusions. So spending the first 5 minutes of an episode after a cliffhanger talking with NPCs is exactly my thing.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Anu was the boss I decided "gently caress it" on and used the pistol. I felt it was a bit poetic somehow to kill king poo poo alien with a couple bullets to the head.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jade Star posted:

Thing is that by the time you get it, you don't run into bats anymore. There are a lot of flying enemies and projectiles, but they're not classed as bats.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Something that I would like to point out, Agent, is that one of the garb chests is in that small two-screen tall fragment of Ancient Chaos where the corridor of blood leads to.

By this point in time in the game, you're likely to only have one garb key, if you did the baby achievement.

Once you make the seal to bring about the end of the game, where the rest of the achievements are locked behind, the corridor of blood is inaccessible.

Meaning unless you do exactly what you did and save that one spot in ancient chaos to your grail's memory, you can never go back there with any of your future keys.

Meaning you either get that garb now, or wait until a new game to pick it up.

La-Mulana!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Thadius posted:

La-Mulana!
It would be heroic if someone made an emote ala :darksouls: or :bloodborne: only instead of sliding back to the left Lumeza is crushed out of frame by something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The name itself crushes Lumisa. She walks between La Mulana and the hyphen falls on her.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 20, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So I was wondering about some of the areas' art styles, because I could place with certainty which culture(s) inspired which area for the most part, but there are some that elude me. Like, I can tell Heaven's labyrinth/Hall of malice is Hellenic myths, Annwfn is Centro-American, Hell is a whole bunch of underworld myths crammed together, but there are things like Immortal Battlefield that elude me. Part of me wants to say 'Ancient Rome' because of the fondness for red, the marble and mosaic-like decors, but something seems off. Also haven't got a good guess on Ancient Chaos. Mesopotamian?

Also, on the theme of worldbuilding, I think La-Mulana does a very good job of conveying the character of its areas, both with the tone of the tablets and the music itself, which Dark Souls doesn't really avail itself of. It builds atmosphere quite effectively, and I like how it's so stingy with the worldbuilding bits but helps paint a (mostly) complete picture of the story. It's super skillfully made, it's hard to convey.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 22, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Immortal Battlefield is largely under the jurisdiction of Indra and the Lokapala, so it's supposed to be kind of Central Asia-ish I'd guess? I'm just not sure how well that actually lands.

Ancient Chaos is supposed to be Mesopotamian style, though, and does a pretty good job of it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Immortal Battlefield mixes Hindu and Mesoamerican styles; the Lokapala soldiers and Jormungandr are based on reliefs found in Mexico.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Did they change Anu's bossfight in a patch? I remember him throwing tons more of those things that roll around on the floor and I don't remember him firing the sets of 4 projectiles (or he just did it far less often)

Another thing I noticed is that in the original La Mulana there's a tablet in the mausoleum of the giants that mentions the 9th and 0th child, the entire thing that this game is based around. I don't know if they were planning the sequel back then but it's a nice touch

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 22

Sorry about the delay, turns out encoding and uploading a 90 minute video with a computer thats been having performance problems takes forever! We made it tho.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you going to do another video for any reason?

Did they patch the hitbox of the sword arm for the final boss during the worm fight? I thought just touching anything would cause damage, but that sword really hurt.

When I beat the game last year, the 9th Child card was not visible and had to look it up, so the game right up to the end was still unintentionally loving me over.

I thought the fairy rulers were siblings.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Probably no more videos, there are some random bonus things you can do in the game that I haven't done but none of them are really interesting enough to run around and catch on film.

I may/probably do a one-off video should a hell temple ever get added in, though we don't know for sure if there ever will be one.

I'm still gonna post a completed gallery post if I can since I think the entries are real cool and it's not THAT work intensive on my end, but we'll see how I feel when it comes time to actually walk around and collect all the entries I'm missing. Even following a guide I might give up on a few 100% completion.

No idea about last boss patches but probably, they seem to have fudged every boss a bit.

Also no idea about freya and freyr, could be both or either.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

My understanding is that they're meant to be both king and queen and brother and sister, because Hellenic myth isn't the only one full of incest and weird sexytimes.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

They are, sort of. I forget what triggers it, but there's some dialogue where Freya says that she and Frey were created to be siblings, but the alfr don't have parents or children so it's purely a role they were slotted into, not a biological family thing.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
...Huh. I kept expecting you to go grab the last item you hadn't gotten before going to the boss fight, the one below the Gale Fibula.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Since the game is over, I can finally post these:

https://imgur.com/a/FFUf8nz

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, looking at these I really appreciate you don't need to compile a map of the ruins for any puzzles this time around.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think I've ever noticed maws' rampant thirst for the snake people before.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some things that were not meant to be.

The room where you freed your dad has about 30 Jotun.
I don't know if they fixed it, but you can go to places where it was impossible to escape from at the end.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 28, 2019

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I beat that third sage with Lamp of Time + Gun.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Incredible game! The only thing that I find weird is how nobody seems to really give a crap about finding the last few survivors of ancient races that were either totally unknown or presumed mythical. And also that they seem equally unsurprised about you turning up as well - although I guess at least for them strange things happen all the time.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Thx for showing this one off, agent.

Looking forward to La-Mulana 3, where the latest member of the Kosugi family has to discover who drank all the beers in Keg-Lana.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can be clever by stopping time, but you still can't save the fairy king.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for showing off this game. I absolutely love this game and the original to death, but just don't have the patience for them.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Excellent capstone to a series. Great work Agent, really enjoyed your work, especially how you went out of your way to explain the puzzles! I think this made all the difference to me, and really helps appreciate the love that the devs put into LM2.

Looking forward to whatever you do next!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm glad everybody seemed to enjoy it. I was a tad worried about the last episode since it's the big finale and me and Mozic probably spent 50% of it bullshitting and making Red Letter Media references but it seems to have worked out.

Still chipping away at the gallery, when I get that done I'll let Baldurk know for the archive.

I'm not sure what I'm going to LP next, feel free to yell suggestions in the thread if you have something you think would fit. I'm not making promises but I don't have poo poo in mind currently so it can't hurt!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Thanks! I never got far at all in La-Mulana so it's great to be taken through the game in a logical fashion.
What sort of game are you looking for? Failing that, what kind of vibe?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Well, as regards suggestions I can tell that you're really really good with puzzles and difficult riddles, and you make it entertaining to explain how you figure those out. I'd love to see you do one of the Mysts, but those are pretty dated.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I always wanted to see a complete LP of Grimrock 2

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

I'm glad everybody seemed to enjoy it. I was a tad worried about the last episode since it's the big finale and me and Mozic probably spent 50% of it bullshitting and making Red Letter Media references but it seems to have worked out.

Still chipping away at the gallery, when I get that done I'll let Baldurk know for the archive.

I'm not sure what I'm going to LP next, feel free to yell suggestions in the thread if you have something you think would fit. I'm not making promises but I don't have poo poo in mind currently so it can't hurt!

I enjoyed it, as I do most your work dude. :3:
I'm a bit biased, but have you considered a point and click,perhaps one starring a dapper skeleton?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Jade Star posted:

Seconded, I’m terrible at that sort of game, and I liked watching you doing puzzles, so this seems like a natural match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Jade Star posted:

I only had like 2 or 3 episodes left to go of that too when i ran out of steam :negative:

I'm assuming here that people are taking the piss but I could always just redo grimrock 2 but finish it this time since I think the videos ar elike years old at this point.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 4, 2019