Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Wow, rude.

We had to record late at night because of Agent's super cute bird and I work stupid early in the morning

i'm sorry but the excitement quotient for the mantra puzzle in 1 wasn't high enough to meet let's play company standards :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm sure the carbuncles are a reference to the Final Fantasy summons of the same name considering how they look.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i was wondering when this would show up. surprised and impressed that it's less than a week after the game came out.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I may have poopsocked a bit in my casual playthrough...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm sure the carbuncles are a reference to the Final Fantasy summons of the same name considering how they look.

Carbuncles are real world cryptids/mythological beings, much like almost all of the various summons from the Final Fantasy series. And, for that matter, all of the not-actual-creature monsters seen so far in the LP.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I also had a lot of fun playing through this, looking forward to seeing the actual legitimate way of figuring out one very specific puzzle.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The original La Mulana LP was one of my favorites, really happy to see you doing La Mulana 2 as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i genuinely did enjoy the lp of the first game. every now and then i'll revisit an old lp if it's been a couple years and i've watched the first a couple times just to fill some dead air every now and then.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yapping Eevee posted:

You jumped into the same sleeping bat twice in quick succession, and then turned around and jumped into a different bat, which knocked you down a pit. :mmmhmm:

The rest of the bats were pretty well handled, but navigating that rotating platform was a comedy of errors. (Which is always an important part of the authentic La Mulana experience.) Of course, I'm sure you'll prove me wrong in future videos.

I think I hit sleeping bats 10 times more often than flying ones, those suckers are invisible.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just wanted to chime in here that your LP of the first game is what got me interested enough to get this one

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm slowly working through this myself but I wanted to stop in and wish you good luck with the LP. I was throwing around the idea of making a blind LP with group commentary helping me out but in the end I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy my time with the game. I can't wait to get into the real meat and potatoes of the game.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Oh man, that shrug. The protagonist's animations have a ton of character, even if I definitely don't remember her name.

Really glad you're doing this - my main thought in seeing La Mulana 2 finally come out was that I was only really interested in seeing you, specifically, LP it in your explanatory style, and that it was a bummer that you probably wouldn't get to it for years if ever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Explosions posted:

Oh man, that shrug. The protagonist's animations have a ton of character, even if I definitely don't remember her name.

Her name ist Lumisa. It sounds a bit like her dad's name Lameza.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I love the sense of mystery in these games and am looking forward to the rest of this because I was too dumb to even figure out the gate of guidance in the first game

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012
I speedrun La-Mulana, and I watched your LP, so I'm interested to see how you do here. La-Mulana was hard... THIS is on a magnitude much worse in some instances which I like.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
Nth'ing that your LP of the first game got me to buy the second one. I've been having a good time with it.

Razer K fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 8, 2018

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

That may be my biggest problem with the game so far, it seems kinda poorly optimized. Some rooms suddenly take a dip in fps for no apparent reason. And while the art and movement looks really good. It probably the first 2D platformer I've seen, where the Steam page recommends a 8GB rig, with 4GB minimum.

Thankfully, it's running alright for me. Most rooms are fluid, but some special ones drag along at half speed.

But maybe that's just caused by some minor background data leakage and will be fixed in a patch.

There's actually a perfectly good explanation for this. Basically the game forces fullscreen which is normally OK, but for some reason La-Mulana 2's fullscreen mode just does not play nice with the Unity Engine. The result is massive framerate lag. If you're running the game on Steam, you can fix this by inputting '-window-mode exclusive' as in your startup commands. It'll result in the text being a little bit wonky, but this fixed my game's framerate right up when I tried it.

Reference: https://steamcommunity.com/app/835430/discussions/0/1762482479181873724/?ctp=2

I kind of miss the bullet time sometimes.

Looking forward to following along with the LP to see what nonsense I've missed. Four guardians down and still chugging along here. (That fourth one is a doozy though, holy crap. I caved and used the gun on him.)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Don't feel too bad about that, I did the same thing.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
I misread the title as "Whip walls, Prat Falls." Good to see you doing the sequel, can't wait.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Followed your LP of the previous la-mulana, loved the approach. Looking forward to see how the sequel pans out.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Playing through this right now. Having lots of fun, but oh my god... some of the puzzles and traps are specifically designed to gently caress with people coming from the first game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

azsedcf posted:

Playing through this right now. Having lots of fun, but oh my god... some of the puzzles and traps are specifically designed to gently caress with people coming from the first game.

I too have started playing this myself, and I have lost any and all right to criticize Agent355 for falling by hitting bats.

I will say though, one thing that I don't think was mentioned about the controls - if you jump off a ledge, you can control the direction you fall. If you walk off a ledge, you fall straight down and never gain control. There is usually (always) a spike waiting for you if you fall offscreen as well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this looks like a really cool game but if anything the LP is convincing me not to get it; I never made it past the stupid looping corridor in 1 and the puzzles seem to get worse from then on.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some of the later puzzles in both games are really devious, but you feel like a goddamn king when you solve them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the sequel is definitely more la-mulana, that kind of stuff doesn't change. i feel like 2 is a little less obtuse overall, though? probably not enough to make it accessible to anyone who bounced off of 1, but it's a little bit nice for quality of life reasons.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Wrt those quality of life things I'm already seeing Agent jump in the middle of ladders and being able to climb and my brain just going segfault. You're not supposed to be able to do that in la-mulana!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

mortons stork posted:

Wrt those quality of life things I'm already seeing Agent jump in the middle of ladders and being able to climb and my brain just going segfault. You're not supposed to be able to do that in la-mulana!
There's a lot of things Lemisa can do that Lemeza can't.

Surprisingly, there's also some things Lemeza can do that Lemisa can't, at least right off the bat.

I also think she whips a bit slower by default.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So I'm watching the La Mulana videos now, but hell temple isn't showing up. Was that banished to the hardmode shadowrealm too?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, rip Olesh's account.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I shotgunned the La Mulana LP over the last couple of days and I dreamt that I was playing it with snarky commentary over my shoulder.

I think it's telling me to get LM2.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Yeah, rip Olesh's account.

I actually saved a local copy of this just in case, although just the video and no chat. If you have a way for me to get a 1.2GB file to you, I'd love it if you can add it to the La Mulana playlist on your youtube account.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Mega.nz is good for 50 gb worth of online storage.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

dropbox works for 1.2gb too. Even if it's video only I can always drag a few idiots in and try to do some post post post commentary on it just for shiggles.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Please ask baldurk to add the new link in to the archive page of the La Mulana 1 LP once you upload it!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
This made me realize that I should activate my preorder. I figured I'd play for a little bit, now I'm two bosses in and :iia:.

A lot of stuff has changed in the roots of yggdrasil since the alpha they made in the la mulana 1 engine 4 years back or whatever it is, but Nidhogg is still an rear end in a top hat.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

I also think she whips a bit slower by default.

Yeah, I noticed significantly more animation frames/slower windup.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 2

Getting a bit deeper now, still not too bad.

Wasn't going to post this until after this weekend but I really just want to poopsock Monster Hunter World and should get it out of the way before I do!

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 11, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Gallery for Epsidode 2 in no particular order

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 11, 2018

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

:capitalism:

Interesting that Valhalla had a boss if it's the "back side" of Divine Fortress, the first game was very particular about not doing that.