Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

S'loving brand new world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

That picture in the back of the shop in the Gate of Guidance looked at you when you bought the Codices...

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
throughout the video there's been like three times so far when i've had to pause, open up the game, and go get a minor secret i missed. i even managed to find a few new routes to check out next time i play properly. i'm hoping to remain ahead of the LP but we'll see how good i am at puzzle solving without resorting to a guide.

so if you were stuck for hours because you didn't realize you could crawl, i was stuck for hours 'cause i didn't realize you could interact with the stairs in the background. i was demonstrably stuck for a few hours just... wandering around the three areas i'd unlocked so far unable to progress because i didn't know i could interact with those stairs and there's a point before the boss where you have to.

also bargain duck for best character in the franchise. i want a bargain duck plush.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Funnily enough, I found Loki behind the screen by accident. Where I got stuck (and I posted in the thread about it), was when you kicked Loki out of that spot, he went through the wall beneath him, and I had no idea that the miniboss you fought would spawn in the empty throne room. I did appreciate your hint though - it got me to find the miniboss and progress enough to finish out the area.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was stuck for four days because an ankh despawned on me and I am the sort who saves after solving one trap. I had a friend to compare notes with and he got it to show where I figured it would. When you talk to NPCs, talk to them later, because the game is buggy.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was stuck for four days because an ankh despawned on me and I am the sort who saves after solving one trap. I had a friend to compare notes with and he got it to show where I figured it would. When you talk to NPCs, talk to them later, because the game is buggy.

FYI, there's a patch now that should supposedly fix that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I love the stand in with the head cutout as you first enter the cave system.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

You didn't scan the Odin statues in Divine Fortress for important Aesir lore :saddowns:

I never bought weights from Bargain Duck, wish I had now. Speaking of shopkeeper animations, remember to show Nebur's easter egg before the end of the LP!

Is Carbunco (the corn monster) based on any "real" monster? I can't find anything about it, only Spanish medical articles.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sweet, a new Agent355 La-Mulana LP! You don't ever need to use caltrops to trigger the spear pedestals, though, I got the spears before triggering one.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Procrastine posted:

Is Carbunco (the corn monster) based on any "real" monster? I can't find anything about it, only Spanish medical articles.

http://offbeat.wikia.com/wiki/Carbuncle
https://abookofcreatures.com/2017/03/17/carbunclo/

It seems "Carbunco" is just another name for the Carbuncle, AKA a mythological rodent with a gem in its head, AKA the Pikachu enemy in the first area. It seems like the Carbuncle legend can be really varied across different cultures, enough so that the same legend gave us both a bedazzled Pikachu and a walking ear of corn. It seems the one consistent aspect of Carbuncles is that they give off light in some way.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 11, 2018

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

https://abookofcreatures.com/2017/03/17/carbunclo/

This is spelled "Carbunclo" but it seems to have somewhat of a similarity. Its exact folkloric form seems to vary a lot, but the consistent aspects are that it gives off light in some way and either guards or guides to treasure. That said, the Carbunclo is actually just the South American version of the Carbuncle, AKA a mythological rodent with a gem in its head, AKA the Pikachu enemy in the first area. Technically comes from the same legend but became something fairly different. Could just be wrong, but it'd be funny if the Pikachu and the walking corn are related species.

"has a segmented body shaped like a small corn cob."
I... guess?

Seems weird to have both a "traditional" carbuncle and a weird corn offshoot since LM1 tended to go with mythologically accurate depictions for enemies (eg. Bahamut being a giant fish rather than D&D/FF giant dragon)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Procrastine posted:

"has a segmented body shaped like a small corn cob."
I... guess?

Seems weird to have both a "traditional" carbuncle and a weird corn offshoot since LM1 tended to go with mythologically accurate depictions for enemies (eg. Bahamut being a giant fish rather than D&D/FF giant dragon)

I edited that post a lot, including another link that emphasizes the corn-ness a bit more for like one paragraph. It really just seems like the Carbuncle is super varied across different cultures, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ran with the corn-shape part because that is a great creature right there.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Procrastine posted:

You didn't scan the Odin statues in Divine Fortress for important Aesir lore :saddowns:

I never bought weights from Bargain Duck, wish I had now. Speaking of shopkeeper animations, remember to show Nebur's easter egg before the end of the LP!

I don't know what you mean by Nebur's easter egg :ohdear:

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
After 50 hours on this my game has become impossible to progress in because it doesn't recognise that a boss has died and just leaves me stuck in the boss room. So I'm going to just enjoy it vicariously through your LP instead.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Disclaimer: I am by no means a Norse mythology expert, but I know a fair amount, so here's an effort post for the first two videos, based on what I remember and a small amount of fact checking on wikipedia:

Yggdrasil is the world tree, yeah. It's generally agreed to be an ash tree, which is neat I guess. The squirrel passes messages from Nidhogg, a dragon who eats the roots, up to an eagle at the top of the tree who never got a name. No idea what the messages are about. Ratatoskr is my favourite character from Norse myth, solely for how pointless he is.

Aesir/Vanir is a bit of a weird one. They're definitely two different groups, but sometimes they're depicted as different races/species, and sometimes it's more just like two different kingdoms? Aesir are traditionally the 'gods' of Asgard, and the Vanir are powerful but not necessarily gods? Except some of them are? And there was some kind of a war between the two groups, I think, but it was less a traditional good vs bad and more like a power struggle, which is pretty fitting for the kind of warfare Norse people would have experience with. As far as I know, it ended with Odin marrying a Vanir, but that might be a detail added in by later stories inspired by the mythos. I think a lot of this stuff is probably added on later, not necessarily part of the orginal stories.

You got all the Loki stuff basically right - trickster, tied up under a snake that dripped poison into his face after basically giving the rest of the gods the middle finger and daring them to call him out on all his poo poo. His wife Sigyn protected him from the poison with a bowl, but when she went to empty it the poison would get in his face anyway. One fun detail is that he was tied up by the entrails of his own sons, because myths can be bloody as hell.
Like you say, there's loads of great stories about him tricking people. A lot of the time the gods would enlist him to trick someone else on their behalf, only to be shocked when he went and tricked them at the same time, because the Norse gods were powerful, but not great at pattern recognition. And yes, as the mother of monsters, he had some hosed up kids and was possibly even worse than Zeus. For the record, Sleipnir the horse has eight legs. Loki's other kids include a giant snake and a great big wolf (see below).

I can confirm that Tyr, who is sort of a wise warrior type guy - renowned for his wisdom and courage - did indeed have his hand bitten off by Fenrir/Fenris, who is, yes, a great big wolf. The gods wanted to bind Fenrir because he was a great big dangerous wolf, but Fenrir saw through their 'oh hey just hold still while we wrap this totally not magic ribbon around you' and said he'd only do it if someone put their hand in his mouth. I guess Tyr drew the short straw.

And Hugin and Munin are Odin's ravens, their names meaning Thought and Memory - depending on the depiction, that's even sometimes literal, and they're almost like parts of him that he can send off to gather knowledge, but more often they're just sort of his go-to birds for getting poo poo done and passing messages to people. Sometimes they're drawn as huge monster birds, but they're usually depicted as just regular ravens.

Valhalla, by the way, is where you go if you die in battle, but people probably know that. You also stopped off briefly in the land of the frost giants, or Jotun. Their home is Jotunheim, and it is cold. That's pretty much it. There's a few specific Jotun who have some great stories about them, though. In Marvel comics, Loki is part Jotun, but I'm pretty sure that's not true of the original myths, that's just a comics thing.

Vritra was new to me, but a quick google tells me it's possibly a Hindu thing, which makes sense, since we also have Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma in the area. We're blurring the mythology lines more than in the first game, which is really cool.

There are various names dropped in the second video, like the grumpy dwarves and the three maidens on one tablet, and I'm pretty sure most of them are actually real names mentioned in various stories, but I couldn't tell you much about them. Sigrun and Brynhild are valkryies, I think.

But like I said, most of this is from reading books about Norse myths, way too many Marvel comics, and a lot of Neil Gaiman stories, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Real talk, I was feeling kind of underwhelmed through the Divine Fortress - we've seen all this Norse stuff thousands of times in video games, and to me the whole appeal of the first La Mulana was how unlike anything else it was.

Then, after a quick trip through the Corridor of Blood to Eternal Chaos, we met up with Bargain Duck and I felt a lot better.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
New people playing the game: Don't pick up the skulls until much later in the game. Make screenshots of where they are.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I don't know what you mean by Nebur's easter egg :ohdear:

Enter Nebur's shop 40 times across the course of the game. This gets an achievement, but also changes something in the background of her shop.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
So, the Aesir and the Vanir had a war, but then there were some political prisoner swaps and/or marriages and things ended up being generally cool between them. The Vanir are kind of like the Aesir, but more... magickey, even though that's not a word.

So, we've seen a bust of Mimir, and he's super cool, so I wanna say things about him. Mimir was either an Aesir or a giant who lived in a well. He was, as Agent would put it, "wicked smart", despite the aforementioned welldwelling(look, he got a great deal on it, it's 20 minutes from downtown...). The reason Odin has one eye is because the guy was willing to pay basically any price for knowledge, and Mimir's well was literally full of it, so Odin stops by and is like "Hey, buddy, can I get some'a that sweet knowledge-brew?" and Mimir's like "One eye per drink" and pretty much the only reason Odin still has one eye is because it'd be a bitch of a time reading runes and stealing mead from Dwarves if he was blind. Anyways, some homeboy Vanir with something to prove merced Mimir in the Aesir-Vanir war, took his head clean off. Odin finds Mimir's head, preserves it with herbs and balms and magic songs, and then he basically just sort of... held onto it. If he got faced with a stumper of a problem, he'd ask it for advice. Which is super weird, man. Can you imagine that meeting? Coming to Odin with a big issue and he's all like "Hm... That's a toughie. Severed shrunken head of some guy I made a deal with one time, what do you think?"

And you thought a Super Mutant Nightkin following a cow skull's lead was odd.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GirlCalledBob posted:

I can confirm that Tyr, who is sort of a wise warrior type guy - renowned for his wisdom and courage - did indeed have his hand bitten off by Fenrir/Fenris, who is, yes, a great big wolf. The gods wanted to bind Fenrir because he was a great big dangerous wolf, but Fenrir saw through their 'oh hey just hold still while we wrap this totally not magic ribbon around you' and said he'd only do it if someone put their hand in his mouth. I guess Tyr drew the short straw.

You also stopped off briefly in the land of the frost giants, or Jotun. Their home is Jotunheim, and it is cold. That's pretty much it. There's a few specific Jotun who have some great stories about them, though. In Marvel comics, Loki is part Jotun, but I'm pretty sure that's not true of the original myths, that's just a comics thing.

Tyr was the one to put his hand in Fenrir's mouth because he was the God of Justice and was the only one Fenrir would trust the word of.

Also, Loki is in fact a half-giant.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Another lore post to add that Loki's a oval office. Just... A huge oval office.

Okay, so... Loki, aka The Trickster, earns his name. Absolutely. And he has that rep for good reason, and all the Aesir know it. Hell, there's a couple of times they leverage Loki's trickster cuntishness to get them out of deals(one time that comes to mind is where a giant agrees to rebuild a post-war jacked-up Asgard in exchange for the sun, the moon, and Freya(that last one is... A common asking price for things, sadly) and Loki delays the construction until past the agreed-upon time window). But, well, he wouldn't be considered such a oval office if he didn't have a habit of taking things too far.

So, then you have Baldr. Pure and sweet and gentle and just the greatest drat guy you ever met. Sings super pretty too. Anyways, someone so clearly too good for this world is obviously a trouble magnet and Frigg sees this from Day Numero Uno. So she goes all over the world demanding that everything--and I do mean everything, rocks, trees, shrubbery, you name it--promise never to hurt Baldr. And of course, because Baldr is a precious bab and just so gosh-darn lovable, they all agree. Except mistletoe. See, mistletoe at the time was super young, and probably too young to get the whole binding oath of honour thing, so Frigg just sort of gives mistletoe a little pat on the head and tells it to be good, to which mistletoe probably replies "Okay pretty lady I love you bye-bye!" Anyways, now Baldr is effectively invulnerable, which the Aesir think is just the bee's knees, elbows, and every other joint, because that means they get to make a new party game. It's called 'Throw the most dangerous thing you can at Baldr'. Super fun, especially after drinks. Well, doesn't Loki have to go and fuckin' ruin it. So, he finds out about the mistletoe loophole, and goes and makes a dart out of mistletoe. He hands it off to good buddy blind Hodr, and I'll let you figure out the rest.

But I tell ya, everyone loves Baldr. Seriously. Everyone. So when he ends up in Helheim, because sitting there while people throw poo poo at you doesn't really count as glorious battle, Hel agrees that that death was super BS and says she'll let him come back on one condition. And it's the easiest thing ever, because of how awesome Baldr is. All that has to happen is for everyone in the world to cry for Baldr. Which, duh, right? Eeeeeexcept Loki. Again. Only dry eye in the house. Seriously, this guy laughs at the opening of Up. So, Baldr has to stay dead.

So, here's the thing: No one can prove Loki did it. Like, everyone knows, but nobody saw Loki do the handoff. So, they can't really punish him for it. That is, until much later. See, everyone's chilling at Aegir's house--Oh, Aegir is a giant who lives at the bottom of the sea, throws bomb-rear end parties, plenty of mead and music and boasting and probably more than a few drunk hot goddesses/giantesses--and then Loki has one or six too many and starts insulting everyone, including Aegir. Because apparently even the basic friggin'(sorry Frigg) rules of hospitality aren't sacred when you're pissant Loki. Don't insult your host, man, seriously. So Aegir throws him the frick out. Justified. Everyone goes back to partying. Then Loki comes back later and basically leans on Odin using their family ties to twist Odin's arm into getting him to get Aegir to let Loki back in. So Aegir obliges, because he's a nice guy, but then Loki goes back to it, insulting everyone, their mother, their goats and the chariot they pull, you know, and then he goes over the line and just to twist the knife boasts that he killed Baldr.

Big mistake.

Loki figures this out, tries to get away, but he's getting run down by a pissed-off knowledge god in the form of Odin, and that chase doesn't last long. So Loki's tied to a rock using his two sons' entrails while a snake drips acidic venom into his eyes. You guys know the bit about the bowl. Loki gets free during Ragnarok, so... Thanks for triggering the end of the world, Lumisa.

GameTrekker
Apr 2, 2011

Man I'm so happy to be watching this! Agent, your run of the original La-Mulana is one of my all-time favorite LPs. I made heavy use of the wiki to beat that game myself, and was scratching my head at the end, wishing I could gain more insight into the game's world. It clearly had deep, intricate lore, and was also clearly intended to be solvable without cheating. I loved the game, but it was your LP that allowed me to fully appreciate it.

I'm now slowly working my way through the sequel (having backed the Kickstarter), trying to get to the end with as little looking stuff up as possible. I think I'm quite far in, and currently a bit stuck, but I'll keep at it. I'm letting myself watch your videos partly to make sure I'm not missing anything. So far they haven't shown me anything I didn't already know about except for one thing: the Caltrops trick.

If I'd known about that trick, I would've been able to get the Earth Spear much earlier than I did, but, as pumpinglemma said above, it's not at all required to do so. It's only required if you don't yet have a certain other item that took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to get (specifically the Glove, which is about as much of a spoiler as you mentioning the Earth Spear but I'm tagging it just to be sure).

Another fun fact/small correction: The pedestal that you put a weight on at 23:47 in the first video actually is required. If you don't activate it, the block that falls stays in the room above, blocking progress.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Lazy Bear posted:

-snips a much better lore post than my lore post-

This is the story I was thinking of when I said Loki basically flipped everyone the bird and dared them to call him on his poo poo, but I didn’t know it well enough to tell, so thanks for going into more detail.
Loki was a consummate rear end in a top hat. But man if he didn't have style.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

Eeeeeexcept Loki. Again. Only dry eye in the house.

Of course he had to have an extra layer of trolling, and disguise himself as an old woman while refusing to cry.

Another thing, the trick he played to prevent the payout for the wall? Turned himself into a mare to lure away the guys work horse.

Comes back in [INSERT GESTATION PERIOD FOR EQUINES HERE] months later and gives Odin Slepnir.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I'm loving the LP, but I'm loving the Norse Mythology lore posts even more. Keep them coming, I need to inject them directly into my veins.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

la-mulana 2 might seem kinda generic at first with the mythology given that a lot of games tend to dip into norse poo poo pretty readily, but trust me, it absolutely goes into the vaguely batshit territories that the first game did with this stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

la-mulana 2 might seem kinda generic at first with the mythology given that a lot of games tend to dip into norse poo poo pretty readily, but trust me, it absolutely goes into the vaguely batshit territories that the first game did with this stuff.

Turns out there's mythology out there that includes a horse that shits fire. No idea if it comes back for the sequel, but that was absolutely a thing from the first game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

New people playing the game: Don't pick up the skulls until much later in the game. Make screenshots of where they are.

There's still a lot of speculation about the situation you're alluding to, and I can personally say there's definitely more to it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Thing about Loki and Baldr, though... Before everything went down, Baldr was having some unsettling premonitions. So Odin decides he'd better go check with the most powerful seer he knows of. Not Mimir, dunno why but the only seer that will do is some lady that's been dead for ages.

So he goes down to Helheim and has a look around, and Hel's let everyone put out the party streamers and fancy tablecloth and a really big feast. Odin asks around, 'Hey what's the big occasion' and the very seer he came down to look for says, "Oh you won't believe it, but BALDR is coming and just OMG we have to make him feel welcome." Odin realizes this means Baldr is about to die (as opposed to just, y'know, walking downstairs for a visit like Odin is doing right now. Because gods, I dunno). So he goes running home and tells Frigg and Frigg hatches her little 'get everything in creation to promise to be nice to my boy' because Frigg is THE mother figure.

Then all that stuff happens. But you know what?

Baldr will sit out Ragnarok safe in Helheim, and then he'll come out again to take his place with the (very few) other surviving Aesir. Because it's his fate. It's possible to fight your wyrd, but the results are always messy. If Thokk (the giantess that wouldn't cry for Baldr, possibly Loki in a dress because gods) had shed her tear, maybe all that would change is that Baldr eats poo poo with the rest of the pantheon come the end of days.

Also also, Loki was one of the few Aesir to give a poo poo about humans, and would step in to help out from time to time if some farmer's kid was having giant trouble.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

So, Fafnir.

Fafnir was a wizard. In fact, he came from a wizarding family. Him, his father, and his brothers. What this means for this story is that they're shape-changers. One of Fafnir's brothers, Otr, loved being an otter. I mean, who wouldn't? They're adorable! Unfortunately, he just happened by Loki as Loki was feeling peckish. Now, in Loki's defense(not a phrase you'll see from me often), the Aesir didn't know the otter was Otr. And if you told him it was Otr he'd go "Of course it's an otter. What are you, stupid?"

Anyways, Odin and Honir(I'll make a post about him in a bit, he has a thing with Mimir) are hanging out with the Wizard Family when Loki shows up to join them with a suspiciously familiar otter skin. So Fafnir's all like "That's Otr!" and Loki responds with "Of course it's an otter. What are--Oooooohhhhhhh. Otr. Oops." Now, unfortunately, 'Oops' does not pay a blood-debt like that. Not by a long shot. So Loki's like "Look. Okay. I get it. I messed up big time. So, what say I get you an obscene amount of gold and we call it even?" and they agree, but they hold Odin and Honir hostage because, seriously, Loki has a rep.

So, Loki goes and hits up Andvari. Now, Andvari is rich? How rich? Croesus is a pauper compared to Andvari. Mansa Musa holds a pittance. No, Andvari has, like, all the gold in the universe. All of it. All the gold threads in SA belong to him too. So, Loki hits Andvari up and is like "I need an obscene amount of gold and you're gonna give it to me." And Andvari's like "Why in the name of Odin's favourite eyepatch am I gonna do that?" and Loki's like "Well, I do have this picture of you at the office Yule feast last year..." so Andvari hands over a frankly absurd amount of gold without another word and Loki's like "Oh, sweet magic ring! Did you just make that? Yeahhhh, I need that too. Yoink!" And Andvari has to give up this magic ring he'd just finished making, which is a huge dick move on Loki's part(you might be seeing a pattern), so Andvari curses it secretly. Now, Loki's too smart for that, and doesn't touch the thing, he just brings it all back to Fafnir and co. sharpish.

So, ransom exchanged, Aesir freed, the gods gently caress off. Fafnir gets his hands on the ring, which is cursed to bring misfortune to all who own it, and is like "Sweet, magic ring! Yoink!" and Big Daddy Hreidmar's all like "Dude, I'm your dad, I get first dibs." But before you can say 'bagsy', Fafnir's shapeshifted into a dragon and straight-up mercs Dad. So, brother Regin's like "Okay, ring's yours. Cool. I'm just gonna take my share of the gold, and--" but Fafnir's having absolutely none of that and chases Regin off.

Well, Regin runs into hero-to-be Sigurd(who you fine folks might know better as Siegfried), and is like "So, I got a dragon what needs slaying." and Siegfried is like "Boffo! I get first shot at the loot!" And off he goes. Big battle scene ensues, Sigurd ganks Fafnir something fierce, you might have seen an opera about this. Anyways, Sigurd spots a certain magic ring and is like "Man, this is gonna make an awesome engagement ring for my girl Brynhild(who you fine folks might know better as Brunhilde)! Yoink!"

Aaaaand then Sigurd gets killed in his sleep by some mook named Guttorm.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Digging the lore story time, hope somebody knows just as much about non-norse stuff because we're leaving norse pretty quick.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SettingSun posted:

There's still a lot of speculation about the situation you're alluding to, and I can personally say there's definitely more to it.
I didn't want to make it obvious like: Don't read the tablet twice.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Digging the lore story time, hope somebody knows just as much about non-norse stuff because we're leaving norse pretty quick.

Bits and pieces. Don't expect quite as much from me.

A quick aside: The home of the Vanir is, easily enough, known as Vanaheim. But that doesn't have as much brand recognition as Valhalla and the two are, to someone who is linguistically several steps removed like the Japanese, quite similar, so... Might have been some confusion.

So, I promised a thing about Honir.

Near the end of the Aesir/Vanir war, during negotiations the two sides exchanged hostages. Sort of as a way to keep each other honest. You know, because if you screw the pooch on the deal we got someone you care about to gank. The Aesir got Freya, Freyr, and Njord, while the Vanir got Mimir and Honir. Now, we all should have a pretty good idea of how important Freya is, because everyone and their cousin keeps wanting to bed and/or marry her and will make insane promises and deals for the chance. Her brother Freyr is no slouch either, pretty much being the guy in charge of male virility. Njord's their dad. Pretty swell guy.

Now, Mimir's got a rep, and it's pretty solid, but Honir was... Shall we say, a gift horse. So, while they hung out with the Vanir, Honir and Mimir were basically inseparable. Mimir was pretty quiet, but Honir got himself known to be an excellent conversationalist and go-to guy for advice. Just, super cool all around. Unless Mimir wasn't around for whatever reason, then Honir was... Well, he'd mumble and shuffle his feet a bit if you talked to him. And the Vanir might be pretty and naturey, but they're not stupid, and they figured out something was up pretty quick and realized they'd gotten taken for a ride on the hostage exchange. That's when they decided to put the axe to Mimir and send Honir back.

Still, the war did eventually end, so things must have worked out after all.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Dirk the Average posted:

Turns out there's mythology out there that includes a horse that shits fire. No idea if it comes back for the sequel, but that was absolutely a thing from the first game.

technically that isn't really from any mythology so much as it's from a medieval bestiary – collections of information about "real" animals collected by scholars. of course, there isn't a horse somewhere near macedon that fires acid diarrhea like a shotgun but a butt, but this was back in a time before science as we knew it today really existed. typically, an explorer or merchant would go to africa or asia or even other parts of europe that the average person was never going to see in their life. while there, they would see some relatively exotic animal, then when they came back home they'd attempt to describe what it looked like and what it was, very often embellishing heavily and sometimes just straight making up things that didn't exist. then, a scholar would take that information, add their own embellishments, and then write it down and people would just assume that this is a real animal. that's how a rhino ended up getting depicted as a unicorn.

the fire-making GBS threads-horse in la mulana 1 is actually not a horse at all, it's a type of bull called a bonnacon. it first appeared in pliny the elder's naturalis historia, which is one of the largest complete surviving works from ancient rome and which became the go-to model for encyclopedias for a very long time. from there, later writers would in turn include animals from the naturalis in their own bestiaries, often adding further embellishments, typically in the form of religious allegory. not for the bonnacon, tho. the bonnacon is exactly what it says on a tin – a bull whose horns are too lovely to use in fights so instead it turns around and fires a blast of flaming poo poo while running away. likely it was used as a bit of comic relief by bored medieval scholars. so, basically, it's just a very very old poop joke. which, fittingly, is also what it is in la mulana.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Azure Dreamer posted:

typically, an explorer or merchant would go to africa or asia or even other parts of europe that the average person was never going to see in their life. while there, they would see some relatively exotic animal, then when they came back home they'd attempt to describe what it looked like and what it was, very often embellishing heavily and sometimes just straight making up things that didn't exist. then, a scholar would take that information, add their own embellishments, and then write it down and people would just assume that this is a real animal. that's how a rhino ended up getting depicted as a unicorn.

The trend likely started with the man himself, Herodotus, credited with writing the first "real" history book in the West. Of course, in between his somewhat realistic descriptions of different events and kingdoms, he also adds his adventures with how his Egyptian friend told him about the incredible exotic animal, the hippopotamus, that looks like a horse, whinnies like a horse, and acts like a horse but I pinky swear it's actually a hippopotamous. And that's some of the more benign examples, in others he just buys up some outrageous made up poo poo about a terrible predator of the far land of Persia that can poison people with his gaze or somesuch, or that in Lydia they don't marry off like normal people, but they actually hold an auction of all the women, from prettiest to most ugly, so that the rich get the hot ones and the poor get paid to get saddled with the ugly ones.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Only just found out about this LP, but funny thing about one of those crusher traps in the first video.

The game's been patched so I doubt this'll work, but in the room with the statues of the Norns with the crusher trap in the top right. When I first hit the pedestal, I didn't get out of the way fast enough. But instead of killing me, the crusher pushed me into the wall and then dropped me down into Loki's room. I hadn't opened the door yet and I could just grail back out.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Showing the repeated trips to the hot springs is an integral part of the La Mulana 2 experience. So many trips to the hotsprings. :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mortons stork posted:

The trend likely started with the man himself, Herodotus, credited with writing the first "real" history book in the West. Of course, in between his somewhat realistic descriptions of different events and kingdoms, he also adds his adventures with how his Egyptian friend told him about the incredible exotic animal, the hippopotamus, that looks like a horse, whinnies like a horse, and acts like a horse but I pinky swear it's actually a hippopotamous. And that's some of the more benign examples, in others he just buys up some outrageous made up poo poo about a terrible predator of the far land of Persia that can poison people with his gaze or somesuch, or that in Lydia they don't marry off like normal people, but they actually hold an auction of all the women, from prettiest to most ugly, so that the rich get the hot ones and the poor get paid to get saddled with the ugly ones.

His infamous "large furry ants that dug up gold" were likely Himalayan marmots. Apparently the dirt from their burrows was actually sifted by the locals for chunks of gold.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Einwand posted:

Showing the repeated trips to the hot springs is an integral part of the La Mulana 2 experience. So many trips to the hotsprings. :negative:

I really wish I could get little flags or warning cones that I could put down next to every trapdoor that I fall into. Xelpud's trying to turn this place into a tourist trap, right? Surely he'd like the assistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Dirk the Average posted:

I really wish I could get little flags or warning cones that I could put down next to every trapdoor that I fall into. Xelpud's trying to turn this place into a tourist trap, right? Surely he'd like the assistance?

That sounds like a fun sister game to Viscera Cleanup Detail. There could be two modes: one where you have to the same kind of cleanup and reset the puzzles, and the other is where you have to try and make it safe for hapless tourists. Maybe you could then have s lemmings style npc wander through when you think you are done?