Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Jarvisi posted:

Is it worth trying to play this game on paper? Everyone seems to say it's digital for life. I have a bunch of battlemechs and some battletech maps I'm sure I could whip up a one shot

NPCs have a bunch of moving parts so you'll want a bunch of index cards or to print off screen shots of their stat blocks from COMP/CON.

BattleTech map sheets are about 20x30 hexes so you can do a small fight on one sheet or a big fight on two sheets. Medium fights you can overlap the sheets for a 30x30 board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Jarvisi posted:

Is it worth trying to play this game on paper? Everyone seems to say it's digital for life. I have a bunch of battlemechs and some battletech maps I'm sure I could whip up a one shot

I DM with paper on a dry-erase hex map with tokens I had to make myself, I don't even use COMP/CON, just keeping track of HP and cooldowns on notebook paper though I do keep my laptop beside me to reference stats. It's been fun.

Map I made of warehouses that the party were searching.

Tokens glued to cardboard stock prior to cutting.

I am not a good artist.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I have a Chessex battlemat that's around 30x50 hexes and a ton of Battletech maps and minis. Drawing out a map for Solstice Rain takes a very long time. I can't wait until we finish it and I can move to BT maps and some cut out paper buildings. Right now I'm using retrograde minis paper cutouts for OPFOR as there's a OSR faction set for them.

I use a tablet with Comp/Con in desktop mode for NPCs and my players use I the mobile version for their characters.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I don't think it's any worse than D&D 4e on paper, and probably a lot better if you're using compcon on a laptop

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

NPCs have a bunch of moving parts so you'll want a bunch of index cards or to print off screen shots of their stat blocks from COMP/CON.

BattleTech map sheets are about 20x30 hexes so you can do a small fight on one sheet or a big fight on two sheets. Medium fights you can overlap the sheets for a 30x30 board.

Bt maps are like 17x17 if you include the partial spaces in the gutter, since a bt hex is way bigger than an inch.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

ShineDog posted:

Bt maps are like 17x17 if you include the partial spaces in the gutter, since a bt hex is way bigger than an inch.

Thanks, that'll teach me to not double check my numbers - on average 15 columns and 17 rows, and if you smush two of them together hamburger style that's where I was getting my "20"x30 maps and 30x30 maps from.

Sarna.net has a good breakdown:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Map_Sheets

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yeah, this was what led to me deciding against them. I think 20x30 is about the least you'd really want for a lancer game if you don't wnat everything to be a knife fight, with 25-35 being the ideal. That's why I ended up not going for battletech maps, since they have basically a 1.25 inch footprint that just ends up too big for our table once you factor in space for character sheets and stuff.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I like to mix up the map size and congestedness a lot, but I think you need to be able to get a 40x40 map onto the table every once in a while to play up long range or fast NPCs.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Armed to the Teeth

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm getting a bad feeling about this group called The Shermans, like maybe they aren't totally the good guys?

That quad gun Morgana is hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
"Divert local asteroids onto the battefield"... Planet Waves But A Mech? :krad: