Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hey, let's talk about Spike Lee.

Lee's been directing movies for over thirty years now and shows no sign of stopping. Most well-known for pics like Do the Right Thing, Mo' Better Blues, Malcolm X, Crooklyn, and others, Lee's films are often uncompromising and bold in their depictions of race relations. Lee himself has offered much commentary and criticism on the subject even outside of his movies. Outspoken and resolute, Lee has no interest in coddling anyone with his productions or his positions. Lee's filmography is vast, so let's start from the end with his newest movie, BlacKkKlansman.

BlacKkKlansman is an adaptation of Ron Stallworth's autobiography of the same name, about his months infiltrating the KKK in 1979 Colorado Springs. Stallworth, played here by John David Washington, uses a combination of phone interviews, the Klan outfit being a naturally very good disguise, and his co-worker Flip Zimmerman being sent in instances of unavoidable face-to-face confrontations. In real life, Stallworth got a certificate signed by David Duke himself and discovered several members of the military were Klan members, including two at NORAD who controlled nuclear launch triggers. In the movie, Stallworth becomes head of the chapter, which he did not in real life, so it seems to be taking some liberties, but it should be a rollicking good time nonetheless. BlacKkKlansman opens in a theater near you, probably, this Friday, August 10th.

Use this thread to talk about Lee's latest film, or his older ones, if you prefer. Share minutia and anecdotes. Laugh about how funny it is that a video game campaign is more of a Spike Lee Joint than Oldboy is. Give recommendations to others who are unfamiliar with his filmography (like me!) and expose lesser-known works of his career. Hell, talk about the She's Gotta Have It Netflix series in here if you want. I'm down for whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What would you have called it?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I also disliked that Spike Lee elected to black out the faces/eyes of literal nazis during the final IRL clips. They're screaming about Jews and raising flaming torches in the name of genocide. They picked their loving side, and were oh so proud to do so. Show those proud fucks for what they gleefully chose to be. They weren't hiding when the torches burned. Their grandchildren should know who they were.

I noticed it was rather inconsistent about whether they were blacked out or not, actually. Some were and some weren't. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was.

• Locked thread