Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This has been getting amazing reviews and every one I know who's seen it has loved it, so SPIKE'S BACK BABY! GET THE gently caress OUT THE WAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

DC Murderverse posted:

I remember reading a comment somewhere on this website after the trailer came out that was a little concerned with how the trailer balanced the chants of "White Power" and "Black Power", like there was gonna be a message of "both sides are going too far", so I was really glad when in the movie they were balanced almost exactly the same, except the cutting back and forth was between the KKK watching and hooting and hollering at Birth of a Nation and spouting their racist lying bullshit, and the older black gentleman telling the story of watching a slow friend of his get railroaded by a false claim of rape and lynched.

I find it weird that anyone would think Lee would ever attempt this message, given, y'know, his entire artistic output over the past four decades. The film itself uses those two sequences to very craftily dismantle the racist argument of "How come they can say Black Power but we can't have pride in being white?" It shows where the two slogans are born from: One as an empowering slogan for people who have been murdered and oppressed for centuries, and another from a group of unrepentant bigotry and a cult-like belief in white supremacy. And it does this without having to lecture the audience, or explain it. It removes the academic approach that people so often find themselves debating when this comes up and shows the emotional impact those phrases have.

• Locked thread