Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slutitution posted:

Spike Lee hasn't made a good film in years, and BlacKKKlansman simply looks like a desperate plea for attention. The title "BlacKKKlansman"? Seriously?

:ughh:

Saw it tonight and it was very good. Focused a lot on the white nationalist rhetoric of the time which is virtually identical to the poo poo being peddled by the far right and Fox news now.

My only complaint is that the whole dancing in the club scene should've been cut or shortened a lot. I'm guessing it was left in as an homage to other 70's movies but it was excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

warez posted:

A soul train dance line scene was the single thing you found excessive here? This is a really, really indulgent film. It looked fantastic, and the story had me gripped, but I imagine audiences wont have the patience for most of it.

That was the only point in the movie where I asked myself how much longer this scene was going to go on, so yeah.

e: I'll admit I did find the KKK drunk moron to be excessive. The other "indulgences" I think you're referring to was the movie trying to drive home very salient points. If you don't think people need to be lead to the water to drink, just take a look at the last 2 years.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 10, 2018

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The ending sequence was very good, though I'm not sure I caught it all because I got something in my eye...

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

K. Waste posted:

And we're not given any complementary perspective on why, for instance, Stallworth wanted to be a cop. It's merely this thing that he needs to say he's always wanted, but unfounded by any identifiable or formative moment. Heck, in that very scene with Ture when he's talking about being a kid watching Tarzan movies, it's clearly that part that hits Stallworth the hardest. We as the spectator are only able to interpret his motivations as part of a much larger process of the collective, psychological enslavement of blacks. Heck, it's almost like an anti-sunken place - it's Ture stirring the raising of Stallworth's consciousness, showing him where he is.

I'd argue that most people don't have a formative moment and that in this case it's not that important to the story. What is important is that he realizes that his expectations aren't reality and even though he's in a position that typically has respect, he doesn't entirely because of his skin color.

Cops and firemen are pushed pretty hard as real life heroes and role models for children which is why kids are so enamored with them. He didn't grow up listening to gently caress tha Police.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Paragon8 posted:

The scene with the cop that sexually assaulted Patrice getting arrested at the end of the movie felt really extraneous and too neat in that its like oh we got rid of the one racist cop the rest of us are fine now. It seems really wild that there wasn't a single cop in the KKK alongside all the Norad and military guys. The other thing that felt weirdly tone deaf is Stallworth being upset at cops being called pigs.

On the whole there is a lot more powerful imagery so the movie did work for me as an anti-racism piece.

The whole point of the scenes immediately following that was that they weren't fine and that even though they stopped some bad people they didn't really change much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
:thunk:

• Locked thread