Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I loved the tonal whiplash - it was an interesting way of dealing with the problem all movies featuring literal fascists face, in that the antagonists are both buffoonish clowns and legitimately threatening, at the same time, in real life. There is danger in portraying the actual enemies of humankind as strong uncompromising jackboots, because it downplays the comical stupidity of their foundational ideas. There is also danger in portraying them as utter clowns that can be easily defeated by cartoon trickery, because it ignores their past successes and the inherent violence of their continued existence. This movie seemed to say "gently caress white supremacist nazi trash" in both ways, if that makes any sense.

My only complaint is that the movie's entertaining heavy handedness seems to put a lot of it at solely at Trump's feet. He is, of course, the most obvious spokesperson for that ideology right now, but the slime of humanity includes powerful actors far smarter and subtler than that soft failed socialite fat gently caress.

I also disliked that Spike Lee elected to black out the faces/eyes of literal nazis during the final IRL clips. They're screaming about Jews and raising flaming torches in the name of genocide. They picked their loving side, and were oh so proud to do so. Show those proud fucks for what they gleefully chose to be. They weren't hiding when the torches burned. Their grandchildren should know who they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread