Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

RandomBlue posted:

The ending sequence was very good, though I'm not sure I caught it all because I got something in my eye...

that ending was like a punch in the face for me. it really drove home the whole point of the movie, which is basically "even if there are good cops, the entire power structure of America is dedicated to protecting white power at almost any cost, so any good that may be done by individuals will be hamstrung by people above them who are desperately clinging to that power." and this doesn't mean we should stop doing these things, because there are individual benefits and lives that are affected, but the system is the true villain and it will take a lot more than one good cop to change things.

I remember reading a comment somewhere on this website after the trailer came out that was a little concerned with how the trailer balanced the chants of "White Power" and "Black Power", like there was gonna be a message of "both sides are going too far", so I was really glad when in the movie they were balanced almost exactly the same, except the cutting back and forth was between the KKK watching and hooting and hollering at Birth of a Nation and spouting their racist lying bullshit, and the older black gentleman telling the story of watching a slow friend of his get railroaded by a false claim of rape and lynched. Lee is pretty straightforward about his love for the Panthers in this movie, and the way it presents their ideals as self-love and black identity being beautiful, especially with all of those black faces watching Kwame Ture speak with reverence and awe.

This movie is so loving good and I can't stop thinking about it. I honestly kinda thought Spike was washed after the last decade or so of his output but this movie is just as relevant and vital as Do The Right Thing continues to be, and the energy he brings is amazing.

edit: I would also like to take a couple sentences to speak the praise of Topher Grace, an underrated actor (and also Spike again). I think most filmmakers could have fallen into the trap of making David Duke the most grotesque racist of them all, some sort of slimy caricature, but presenting Duke as he actually is (a dorky white guy who believes in the complete superiority of his race) is much more effective, because we can draw the line from him to all those nicely clad loving nazis that have been popping up, and people in our own lives who might seem nice and well put-together but are actually gross loving bigots. Grace is really perfect casting, and he does a great job with what he's given, and I hope he gets a movie soon where he doesn't have to be a gross loving nazi bigot because I can't imagine the headspace you have to exist in to pull that off.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread