Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

RandomBlue posted:

Saw it tonight and it was very good. Focused a lot on the white nationalist rhetoric of the time which is virtually identical to the poo poo being peddled by the far right and Fox news now.

My only complaint is that the whole dancing in the club scene should've been cut or shortened a lot. I'm guessing it was left in as an homage to other 70's movies but it was excessive.

A soul train dance line scene was the single thing you found excessive here? This is a really, really indulgent film. It looked fantastic, and the story had me gripped, but I imagine audiences wont have the patience for most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

RandomBlue posted:

That was the only point in the movie where I asked myself how much longer this scene was going to go on, so yeah.

e: I'll admit I did find the KKK drunk moron to be excessive. The other "indulgences" I think you're referring to was the movie trying to drive home very salient points. If you don't think people need to be lead to the water to drink, just take a look at the last 2 years.

I enjoyed the ending sequence and the way Spike Lee transitioned into it a lot (our heros are safe for the time being, but there is still evil just outside their door), so that wasn’t really what I was getting at. When I say indulgent I don’t necessarily mean that it’s something that doesn’t have value or that drags the movie down, maybe more that it’s something that a more streamlined movie might use less of (the speech near the beginning, the drunk, the birth of a nation parts, the story bits that follows the explosion, the way the perv cop storyline is resolved, and yes, the dance line).

warez fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 10, 2018

• Locked thread