Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Green Crayons posted:

So Phil effort posted to make a really good new thread. Made sure that the old thread would definitely be closed and archived.

Because he's going to try to become a judge?

That's my guess. Judgeship.

Phil let me be your law clerk.

poo poo, you're right.

I'm still licensed in LA I'll come back to write all your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

A fitting end.
Corncobbed to the very end

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Its me, I'm da guy who was not in da OP :(

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil almost became a policy level administrator at ICE so....

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
So should we start the Gilbert & Sullivan/Sondheim chat now or let this thread breathe a bit before we discuss the film version of A Little Night Music?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Policy of lickin' boots

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hey that was during the Obama admin, and it had nothing to do with removal or other immigration proceedings. ICE does other pretty cool stuff (or used to before they turned into the SS). For example:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-bahia-emerald-20150125-story.html

But yeah pretty much every day I'm glad I didn't take that job, for many reasons.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Its me, I'm da guy who was not in da OP :(

Join the OP. PD?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
In the spirit of effortposts - is there any interest in a lovely law school tips and tricks effort post? How to make it when you're not T14? The types of jobs you should be looking for etc...?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

In the spirit of effortposts - is there any interest in a lovely law school tips and tricks effort post? How to make it when you're not T14? The types of jobs you should be looking for etc...?

:justpost:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I was doing a screener interview the other day and someone had the following in the interests section of their resume:

"maintaining my dog's instagram page"

Is that a thing that is acceptable to put in your interests now?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

I was doing a screener interview the other day and someone had the following in the interests section of their resume:

"maintaining my dog's instagram page"

Is that a thing that is acceptable to put in your interests now?

Why would there be an "interests" section on a resume at all
Is this an American thing or am I just bad at resume?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Join the OP. PD?

PD in Hawaii who either moved or is moving to Michigan like an idiot.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I dunno if it's only an American thing but yea a lot of people do that here. its supposed to be so they can tell if you're a "good fit" for the "culture" of that job or if you're a weirdo, or if they need cover for the real reason they won't hire you

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Should have been a “personal goals” section.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Alexeythegreat posted:

In a world where any trained gerbil can do your job, often the only thing separating one gerbil from the other is the way an interviewee connects with the interviewer. A GPA doesn't tell me whether you are or are not a stinky neckbeard who has a waifu pillow at home. I want to know if you run marathons or run a local chess club or build ornate cabnitery or whatever.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BigHead posted:

In a world where any trained gerbil can do your job, often the only thing separating one gerbil from the other is the way an interviewee connects with the interviewer. A GPA doesn't tell me whether you are or are not a stinky neckbeard who has a waifu pillow at home. I want to know if you run marathons or run a local chess club or build ornate cabnitery or whatever.

This is basically it. Once I see that you meet the basic academic requirements, the question becomes would I be able to tolerate you if you were a junior working on one of my cases.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I can speak a bit on the not T14 job track and managing to somehow fall into a good position. I am still honestly amazed it managed to work out to this day.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BigHead posted:

Also if you went HS -> undergrad -> law school with no work experience, it becomes a VERY short resume.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Mostly so when I get bored of talking about how much Fungible Snotnosed Law School Creep #1,451 "loves the law" I can have a conversation with him about football or whatever

nm posted:

PD in Hawaii who either moved or is moving to Michigan like an idiot.
welcome to the murder mitten bitch

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Not a fan of interest sections. It's usually something like reading or cooking which doesn't say much at all. I would only find it interesting if the interest was unique or they were very accomplished in that interest.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Interests sections are the worst but are necessary when you're a law student because you

1) don't know jack poo poo about practicing law

2) will be worthless in everything you do for the summer, and

3) are being interviewed to see if you're a personality fit and really nothing else

If you are not a law student you should not have an interests section. Unless if you are literally Robert Muller and you're like

Interests
- loving with Presidents
- Reading Twitter.com

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
God bless reddit legal advice thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/95c289/ma_late_brothers_partner_suing_family_for_money/

quote:

Our brother age 34M died of cancer 9 months ago. He was very successful and left behind money and assets. He also had a Will. My brother was also in a gay relationship for 8 years with a 28M partner. Our family is religious and yes we may not have approved the relationship we still loved our brother. He unfortunately died of cancer and left a will. Left most of the money to his gay partner. They weren't even married. We decided money to be kept within the family and but gave his partner some money. We also paid for brothers funeral and medical Bill's. We thought that was the end of it. But now his ex partner is suing us for the rest of the funds. I don't know how he got hold of the will. My family is still grieving and now this man wants to take us to court. Trying to see how to solve this without involving the court. Thank you for your advice

OP pressured his sister, executor of will, to defraud his brother's partner out of $850k, posts it on the interbutts because he dares to take them to court for stealing almost a million dollars. How did he get the will? Its a public record.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Good poo poo. My policy is to believe them all, no matter how much they smell like bait because it's fun and you'll never know anyway.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
On one hand, the family is clearly a piece of poo poo. On the other, why the hell wouldn't you put Partner as the executor of the will if you knew your family didn't approve of the relationship?

Bad With Estate Planning

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
says sister was the only one he got along with. Misplaced trust.

blarzgh posted:

Good poo poo. My policy is to believe them all, no matter how much they smell like bait because it's fun and you'll never know anyway.

Some Americans are so lovely about gay people, I totally believe that one.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

^^^^^^
says sister was the only one he got along with. Misplaced trust.

Some Americans are so lovely about gay people, I totally believe that one.

Believe you me, it doesn't matter what their sexual orientation is when it comes to stealing an inheritance from someone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, reposting this here because I loving nailed it.

quote:

Dealing with enough real estate litigation, here is my theory:

The Facts
- He's the defendant
- He's being sued for breach of a 'real estate contract'
- They're seeking damages, but not to enforce a lien against the house, or to compel the sale, because otherwise jxd would be mandatory in his county.
- about one year ago, he got out of a rental unit
- The Plaintiff is an LLC from three counties over

The Theory
- He signed up to buy a house from some flip and rip beat that buys lovely houses or foreclosure houses for cash and then tries to sell them for a little bit more cash. We know its not a construction contract (no lien, no jxd) and its not for specific performance (no jxd).
- They require a big earnest money deposit because once people find out what a piece of poo poo house they signed up to buy, they try to back out, thus forfeiting their earnest money.
- He thought he could beat the system, and found out what a piece of poo poo house he signed up to buy, and/or can't get financing because the house is a piece of poo poo, and is trying to back out of the deal and refuses to sign off on the escrow agent releasing the earnest money.
- The Plaintiff doesn't want to force the sale through, they just want to keep the earnest money (which is called "earnest money" because its supposed to show you're "earnest" about wanting to buy the property) and then sell the house to the next poor sap who comes along thinking they can beat the system. Either that or he REALLY hosed up and somehow got the escrow to release the earnest money back to him.
- The Plaintiff is suing to get the earnest money released to them or given back to them, and for incidentals, and for attorneys fees.
- His "plan" is to show all the defects with the house and other problems and he thinks thats gonna be the winner for him and an attorney would just screw that up.

Bonus points for predictions that:
- He used the money he won from his other lawsuit for the earnest money
- He waived getting an inspector because he could "look through the house just fine himself."
- He "Thought about buying a house at a foreclosure sale first..."
- He read the "As Is" part of the contract already, but that doesn't matter because..."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

blarzgh posted:

Also, reposting this here because I loving nailed it.

I was just about to post my congratulations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You did. This means that you are now the answering guy. Only you.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

It's going to be great when he still refuses to get a lawyer because he can argue it so much better himself in court.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, you got that 100% right. Though I agree that means you are the only person allowed to post in the answers thread now!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is his argument really that he agreed to their terms, made a mistake on what he signed, and now wants out of the deal due to his mistake?

I had a dream last night I ended up in court in a tiny county and hot dog day and blargzh were both there and said they lied about being in Texas. How weird and pointless

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
He has a lovely breach of contract defense but probably a decent malpractice claim. I’d settle and sue my previous lawyer (pro se, of course).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GamingHyena posted:

He has a lovely breach of contract defense but probably a decent malpractice claim. I’d settle and sue my previous lawyer (pro se, of course).

My real question is what the difference in terms were.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

mastershakeman posted:

My real question is what the difference in terms were.

I wondered that too. I suspect it’s something relatively trivial and Mr. Pro Se wants to use the mixup as an excuse to back out of the deal since he mentioned the house is full of defects.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Don't most home sales let you back out during the inspection period?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

Believe you me, it doesn't matter what their sexual orientation is when it comes to stealing an inheritance from someone.

I hope the local prosecutor gets wind of this (especially the Reddit post) and charges the whole lot of them. I hate this kind of poo poo so much.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
His problem is that he (allegedly) has a mutual mistake defense, but one that the other side will argue (probably rightly) that he's cooked up now, after the fact, to avoid the transaction.

In order to successfully plead, and prove that claim, he's going to need a real attorney who can navigate a complex contract claim, and navigate parole evidence issues, and navigate around the presumption of knowledge of the instrument as charged to him by his signature, and navigate the complexities of his prior attorney as a potential witness.

Inevitably, Bad House Man, when you search my post history and find this, I say again, unto you:

Go. Get. A. Lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^^ look I bought "as is" but obviously that means I'm not buying as is if I find anything wrong with it post sale, as determined by me

Pook Good Mook posted:

I hope the local prosecutor gets wind of this (especially the Reddit post) and charges the whole lot of them. I hate this kind of poo poo so much.

What's weird is my immediate reaction was "they should just hire someone to contest the will". I mean gently caress, it's a 850k estate, why not roll the dice on that?

The Reddit thread has a ton more good quotes including how the dad is sending racial slurs to the partner of their deceased kid