Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Couple of bullet points about becoming a lawyer in Canada, I guess. I know there are other Canadian lawyers in here better positioned to actually talk about this.

- You need a Bachelor's degree to apply to law school, unless your undergrad grade average is three digits before the decimal. Yes, these people exist, there were two in my year. Yes, this is why you will not be in the top 10% of your class.

- The advice about US school entry, such as LSAT and GPA being Very Important is applicable to Canadian admissions. Don't be a lovely student. Toronto, McGill, Osgoode, UBC are considered top of the pack currently, with UVic and Queen's not far behind.

- Don't go to a law school outside Canada unless you're planning on staying there. Really big-name schools like Yale or Oxford, maybe, but going anywhere else is probably just a signal you couldn't make it into a Canadian school. Our laws and especially our Constitution are nothing like the United States' or even most of the Commonwealth so you'll be at a distinct disadvantage when you come back. Law school here is way cheaper and if you can sleep in your parents' basement you might even get out with a debt level that will make our American compatriots weep with envy.

- You will still graduate with some debt and a substance problem.

- Quebecers should be familiar with the Civil Law system, probably, which means going to a Quebec law school. If you do this, you should probably speak Quebequois, or at least French.

- Unlike the US, you have to write your bar exams (and associated Professional Legal Training course put on by your provincial Law Society), and article. Articling is like a one-year apprenticeship that follows law school, and you can't practice without completing your articles. You apply for them like jobs, you're hired for them like jobs, and there's no guarantee you get to stay on with your firm afterward. Ontario tried an alternate route from law school that didn't require articles because there weren't enough articling jobs available, but I think that's dead last I heard.

- There are still not enough articling jobs available. You may have to convince two or more firms/lawyers to 'share' your articles, or work for peanuts. Or for free.

- Do everything you can to get practical experience in law school. Clinic courses, student legal advice programs, whatever you can. Law school teaches you nothing about client interaction, file management, or the actual practice of law, so get your feet wet as soon as possible. I don't know what's on offer elsewhere, but UBC has a great student legal advice program and a bunch of clinics.

I'm happy to answer questions about : opening a solo practice early in my career, and later working in panda law (non-profit feel-good law that makes no money). I will probably not be able to answer questions about working in a real firm. I am also incredibly lucky, so any/all of my advice may be totally useless if you are not at least as lucky as me.

Also, don't go to law school. It's a terrible idea.

Edit: Oh, that was timely. This Canadian up here, GET MONEY? He's making a mistake.

Edit 2: Also if you want to get laughed at more for being a Canadian considering law school there is also a website for that purpose. The best thread it ever produced, however, will give you ungrateful 0Ls a perfect insight into crim defence work: http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/28005-what-lawyers-actually-do-day-to-day-cyoa/

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

He only wants to do corporate law for the money. It doesn't seem law otherwise interests him at all.

It’s possible this is his problem. It’s hard to fake enthusiasm convincingly, so when if he’s trying to get past the “Will I tolerate working with this candidate” question, the interviewer is comparing his mopey rear end against all the bright-eyed nerds who still think reading severance packages and merger disclosure might be a fun way to spend time.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

GET MONEY posted:

If it's not litigation, what's the best practice area to be a (rich) magic bullet lawyer?

I’m still not convinced you’re not a troll, but “magic bullet lawyer” was neither complimentary nor a practice recommendation.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Anything that involves or could involve medical evidence is the furthest possible thing from any kind of 'magic bullet' approach, so there goes half the list. You remain the dumbest poster in this thread, and I'm here.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

How much does malpractice insurance cost the solos out there? I’m not hanging my shingle (no money for overhead), but I’m trying to volunteer at more clinics to see if I can get some work eventually.

I just don’t know how much I can do for people with no research access or insurance to cover my rear end.

Isn’t malpractice insurance just a single rate through your bar association? That’s what we do here. Even if not I’d bet they have that information for you and probably some advisors to help you out too.

I am entirely prepared to find out the US has a complete shitshow of a system though.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

blarzgh posted:

And 20 years of simple interest at the 8.5% of the 1999 divorce decree is like $125,000.00. Plus the $75,000.00 he owed.

I’d say this was the best family law outcome I’ve heard but it may also be the only good family law outcome I’ve heard.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Its only good if you ignore all the bad stuff I didn't mention :shrug:

Aaand that’s why my optimism was cautious at best. Family law: never again.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

sullat posted:

Last time I tried to tie a tie it was on a six year old

Calvin and Hobbes remains the only comic with the skill and verve to pull off depicting a child about to be executed by hanging.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

BigHead posted:

Hey there's another job opening in Barrow!

Edit: Barrow was renamed Utqiagvik recently. That's it's ancestral name.

Note: Barrow literally means a pile of earth over a grave. That this is where you have to go to find jobs says something.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

https://globalnews.ca/news/5207753/prominent-ontario-lawyer-pleads-guilty-to-bigamy-forging-divorce-documents/

:psyduck:

Whatever you’re going through, reach out for help and talk to someone before it comes to this. I’m actually pretty happy the Law Society has free counselling support. It’s been helpful even for me and I’m nowhere near as deep as a lot of lawyers.

Take care law goons.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

nm posted:

Things spotted outside my hotel

Tourists should stay near the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

The only metric of success in a legal career is how far away you can get from having to deal with a client yourself.