Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tipps posted:

Also fun fact about that lawyer: he boasts on his website about having been a professor at Thomas M Cooley School of Law.

Surely this falls under some anti-dumping provision of NAFTA.

Also, oh hey new thread, great OP, and page 3 is infested with Canadians so here's one more: I'm a recovering cyberlaw panda that actually lucked out and works as agency counsel at a federal regulator/admin tribunal (and have thus learned to hate pretty much the exact person I used to be).

After most of a decade since graduating, I owe only slightly more money to the government for student loans than the government owes me for somehow having been incapable of paying its employees accurately for the past four years. By "going to law school" standards this is probably a win (don't go).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I just realised who you're talking about and that is loving amazing.

(it would be even more amazing if he still followed me on Twitter but alas, he deleted his account recently, probably for this exact reason)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

Is this a normal Canada government lawyer thing or specific to tundra law?

Tipps might be working for a territorial government (all Canadian fed lawyers to my knowledge have the same union deal, and it only starts at 3 weeks vacation a year and caps out at 6 after 28 years of service). So most of that might be a tundra thing.

But the strict 37.5h work week part is my favourite anyway and that is definitely normal for government lawyers. I remember when I was newer to this job and would stay late to handle the usual junior counsel bitch work and management would literally hound me to make sure I documented it so I would get overtime pay.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 10, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Kid update: child on ground screaming you aren't in charge I'm in charge

Well, is he wrong?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

To your ping, Fish, I'm another Canadian lawyer (counsel for a regulatory agency) who, mostly, lurks this thread (I posted a lot more when I was in school) and joined the Discord when it looked like the forums were going to go away. Username on Discord is the first half of this one.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 31, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Times put out a sturdier conservative leaker theory: that leaking the draft and putting the flying monkeys on notice that they COULD get everything they want and making clear who's to blame if they don't could stiffen the spines of the 5 most plausible voters for a Maximum Alito Hellscape decision against someone like Roberts trying to steer them towards a somewhat saner decision that still overturns Roe.

I don't know if I believe it but it's a bit less pure cope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nichol posted:

Oh no not you too!

keep reading, you'll love the shocking plot twist