Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I ain't reading all that poo poo but I want to say it's easier than ever to go to law school because all the smart people know not to and you can show them how wrong they are! Yeah!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
btw for the last thread

code:
nm 	        2603
Hot Dog Day #91 1999
Phil Moscowitz 	1803
blarzgh 	1670
CaptainScraps 	1663
ActusRhesus 	1560
mastershakeman 	1528
Soothing Vapors 1453
Roger_Mudd 	1326
evilweasel 	1300
WhiskeyJuvenile 1285
Mr. Nice! 	1199
joat mon 	1051
entris          829
HiddenReplaced 	828
MoFauxHawk 	676
Ainsley McTree 	671
Discendo Vox 	666
Green Crayons 	664
BigHead 	644
Kalman 	     609
Look Sir Droids 589
Petey 	    564
Vox Nihili 	559
SlyFrog 	548
mikeraskol 	543
The Warszawa 	530
Adar 	   528
gvibes 	   524
Pook Good Mook 	524

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 8, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What’s your point hog-fucker

a) stats matter
b) i dont know whats with me and hogs i guess i like hogging?
c) im glad im a superstar

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just skimmed people’s posts in the thread, and you had like 45 pages worth and a very recent post about the difference between hog hunting and hogging. Congrats

hell yeah

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is his argument really that he agreed to their terms, made a mistake on what he signed, and now wants out of the deal due to his mistake?

I had a dream last night I ended up in court in a tiny county and hot dog day and blargzh were both there and said they lied about being in Texas. How weird and pointless

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GamingHyena posted:

He has a lovely breach of contract defense but probably a decent malpractice claim. I’d settle and sue my previous lawyer (pro se, of course).

My real question is what the difference in terms were.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^^ look I bought "as is" but obviously that means I'm not buying as is if I find anything wrong with it post sale, as determined by me

Pook Good Mook posted:

I hope the local prosecutor gets wind of this (especially the Reddit post) and charges the whole lot of them. I hate this kind of poo poo so much.

What's weird is my immediate reaction was "they should just hire someone to contest the will". I mean gently caress, it's a 850k estate, why not roll the dice on that?

The Reddit thread has a ton more good quotes including how the dad is sending racial slurs to the partner of their deceased kid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm not a real estate or contract attorney, but don't you still have a cause of action in an "as-is" sale if the seller actively concealed faults?

How are you going to prove that? And how can you do that cheaper than just saying gently caress it and letting the other side keep the earnest money which is usually just a couple grand?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sounds like any one of hundreds of people I've known throughout my life.

fixed that for you because you know very well what language they used.

You could've just said he was from outer space

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Out of curiosity, are there a lot of old homophobic judges that would invalidate that will? (Assuming will just says everything goes to the boyfriend)

How much discretion do judges get on making that determination?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sullat posted:

One of thr first cases I worked on was a Brady-bunch family where Mom married step-dad, and thrn after Mom died, she has step-dad as executor of a substantial estate. He starts spending it like mad, so Mom's daughters sue him to stop it and it escalates from there.

Yeah I'm ready for when my grandpa dies since he has 9 kids + my evil stepgrandma has a bunch too and every one of them is convinced they should get all of the money , so dozens of people going after it

Now that I think about it I have a lot of personal deets about inheritance squabbling (mainly because both sides of my family are farmers so there's land wealth but very little cash) but I'm sure everyone here does as well and it can't be that interesting

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 9, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Look Sir Droids posted:

As someone who took an analyst job (at a big law firm) as my first real post-license job, it took me 9 years to climb out from under it and my career is still very stunted.

The problem is that “analyst” is a bullshit job title that doesn’t mean anything. So nobody knew what I did and how it amounted to any legal experience at all. I would have been better off finding a paralegal job and that’s basically what I have now with 50:50 lawyer:paralegal duties.

At the same time you do what you have to do. I got married and had kids in those 9 years so I didn’t hustle on getting a better job until a year ago. Just keep looking for something better and leave as soon as possible.

That's good to hear, maybe I do have a future in this field after. I consider myself 100% failed and pretty much unemployable in law right now (going to tenth year law school anniversary in a few months will be delightful), and am spending more time planning to make sure my future bankruptcy is smooth than job hunting. But I sacrificed a lot career wise for my family so I don't really regret anything.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm so mad he went with unclean hands and estoppel but didn't mention laches

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Brock Lesnar moved from Montana to Saskatchewan so this checks out.

Also, i don’t think the latest legal question good actually bitchslapped that guy but good god i hope there’s a nearby camera that caught it.

I would have hosed that guy up but I was wearing sandals

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hi I like Sharia law, by the way are you A Jew

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not called the stabbin' cabin for nothing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Ok, has anyone ever in all their years of civil practice seen a paid, private process server straight up lie about service on their return?

I swear to god I'm looking at the return, and it says, "date, time, location" and its literally 100% false - not even, "he got one detail wrong" false, and of course the guy says he's never been served in his life, but he wasn't even in town that day and can prove it, and the location he says he served him at was closed at the alleged time of service, and we can prove it.

Its the first time I've ever seen something like this.

Yeah, it happened way too often with Chicagoland foreclosure cases. It's more common with substitute service but can just be garbage on individual as well. Usually the time and place is right but they just hand it to some random dude and say that was the defendant who looks vastly different because they never check id

Although once my old firm had a file where the guy who got served was a brother (who was visiting) with the same first middle and last name. They both came to court apparently to tell the judge service was bad and it was like well poo poo, how was the server supposed to know

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 15, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, my return says, "Personal Service" on "[Individual]". So substituted service, no posting, no room for interpretation, and I can't believe it by the dude literally wasn't there.

Server could've gone to the wrong house, happens often enough.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nonexistence posted:

Yeah, growing up in Mississippi it was always frustrating to see poor whites vote against their interests without fail, then I made it out just in time to see the whole country become Mississippi. Thanks.

Ah I see you left Mississippi in 1976,80,84,88,92,96,2000,04,08,12, and 16

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hillbilly elegy was written by some suburban dude from Ohio he doesn't know poo poo

Hoshi posted:

Hot take: nuke the Midwest

*Pats big lakes of fresh water*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's honestly a lot simpler. You go well poo poo my white privilege everyone tells me to be guilty about hasnt gotten me jack poo poo and now the politicians want to help everyone but me , gently caress that

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

Everyone knows that Jews are Mets fans.

There's no way that jews waste their money on such an worthless product

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Adar posted:

As a proud Jewish Knicks and Jets fan, I

gently caress

Gahaha

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Wherein joining the marines, being deployed to Iraq, graduating from college and from Yale is "as easy, as winning the lottery."

Not getting blown up by a random ied is pretty lottery like

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is a male wasp a swamp?

And yeah, family mental illness sucks. My wife's uncle is a schizophrenic who would send postcards of gibberish every few years to his mother (rip). Also convicted of arson and a scientologist

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

I like people who weren't captured

It's insanely funny Trump dunked on McCain like that right away and every pundit reacted with "he can't say this he'll lose everyone"

I wish we could have had a zuckerberg vs Trump debate because their size differences plus the sheer amount of bullying Trump would do would have been amazing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mr Nice,I worked a job like that once and it was 100% useless as a legal job. They only handed out work when they had a project they didn't want to which meant after a month I was at zero hours.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Serious talk for a bit, why not do doc review until the non law job hires you? Put your stuff in storage, find the tiniest bedroom with the most roommates possible and get some money.

Also it's often affordable to just rent a hotel for the week doing doc review, I knew out of towners who would do that. Especially if there was uncapped hours and theyd just pull 80 hour weeks. I'm guessing Florida market is 25+ an hour? And you can find some that work for JDs that haven't passed the bar. A lot better than making 200/week for this firm

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

Pittsburgh has a ridiculously low cost of living, my live-in ex-wife makes good money, I sold my house, and even with one week off out of every 4 I’m making more than my PD colleagues with 5-6 years experience. My company is $26 unlicensed, $32 licensed with no OT limit.

32 an hour is higher than I've seen the market in Chicago in ten years. So great work getting that I guess.

In 7ish years of doing doc review I've never grossed over 55k, a few of my friends have. And that's with working a lot of weekends and 12 hour days as much as I can, plus claiming unemployment. A few partial weeks absolutely fucks you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Efb didn't see people hitting the same note I was , where the last thread had posters saying saying "work life balance" was an instant death knell

The only way to know what to ask in interviews is presumably by being the one who does the interviewing

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 20, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Got a good one.

Another lawyer in my firm represents an HOA; Plaintiff was a landscaping company that botched a job, walked off, and is now demanding payment. Plaintiff sues for breach of contract.

First set of discovery request to P, Request No. 1: Please produce the contract.

In the instructions: "The Contract" shall have the same meaning as the term in Plaintiff's Original Petition.

Objection: "The request is vague, overbroad, unduly burdensome, calls for a legal conclusion, etc..."

Every other request after that, same objections, copy/pasted. No docs produced. Same objections to every interrogatory, every request for admission.

Attorney drafts a very cordial, direct letter, which goes through each objection, asking for the legal and factual basis of the objection. Sends it, asks for a conference call.

On the phone today:

Our Attorney: "Ok, so can we get a copy of the contract?"
Opposing Counsel: "Look, we said you can come inspect it[at their office in another state]."
OA: "I know you did, and we can argue about that later, but can you not even scan me in a copy so I know what the contract your suing on is?"
OC: : "No."
OA: "Ok, then. Can we talk about your objections to see if we can avoid having a motion to compel? Lets start with Request 1 - you say the request for the contract is 'vague.' Could you explain that to me?"
OC: "Well its vague. How do i know what contract you're asking for??"
OA: "In our instructions, it says the contract is the contract you refer to in your petition. I'm not seeing how thats so vague you can't, in good faith, respond to the request."
OC: "Well then you're just plain stupid. And if you file a motion to compel, we WILL be asking for our attorneys fees. Take care."
*click*

What the hell is wrong with this profession

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You are a loving monster.

He's a lying troll. There's no way that happened

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

Manafort found guilty on 8 counts (6x tax fraud, 2x bank fraud), jury hung on 10 other counts.

Don't forget Cohen! Pleaded guilty on a bunch of tax fraud stuff and also election violations and is stating he was directed to do so by Trump, lol

It does seem crazy to me that a business in DC apparently has a business model of accepting undeclared income and no one seems to care or have a reporting requirement or anything

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 21, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A final follow up to my ethics issue. The attorney has been let go due to failure to disclose a conflict. Im glad I reported. I was given his agency issued fan.

Way to get someone fired, narc

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The agency told him he needs to self report.

I've been trying to upload a picture of the fan because it's truly glorious but I can't get it up.

I'm not surprised that your impotency flared up

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

No one knows who my mother’s father is, so I might be. Probably not, though.

You might be your mother's father ? Living up to Floridaman stereotypes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the hardest job in the world has to be coroner. Imagine doing autopsies on all those victims

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't believe it's been a year already. There is no easy answer here but my personal experiences with friends and familys disability have been more positive. I actually tried to convince my wife to go on disability since I'm convinced neither her physical (just got diverticulitis recently) or mental health are compatible with the stress of working.

That being said I have a friend who was a biglaw lawyer, had something weird happen, presto disability. That was over a decade ago. This person has been very careful to stay off social media and such because they are in phenomenal shape but other than that have had no keeping disability payments coming in.

Honestly if I were in your shoes I'd just keep on trying therapists and try your best to live carefree. I'm working on that myself by doing what half of America does and ignoring debt, otherwise I'm a nonstop ball of anxiety all day every day for years on end . Are you supporting a family? Or can you just crash on someone's couch at the end of the day if you need to?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlyFrog posted:

More positive in what way? That they've managed to retain disability without it being really challenged by the insurer? Or that they have healed and gotten better and gone back to meaningful, decently paying work?

The former . Actually, the volunteer work this person is doing is now a ton more meaningful than whatever biglaw drudgery existed.

quote:

Might I ask for a general idea of what his disability was? Was it mental health related stuff like mine, or some physical malady?

Quite honestly, psychosomatic. Uncomfortable getting too into it but it's a lot closer to you than not. But my friends have all commented theyre shocked she's able to maintain disability for what appears to be anxiety manifesting in physical symptoms. I'm not kidding when I say I wish my wife could get on this somehow - yours is through work not SSDI right?

quote:

Yeah, that's the genuine problem. I wish I could do that. It's what friends tell me. By I feel so much loving anxiety with all of this. It's like I'm in this trap. I cannot do the job, because of the anxiety. But my anxiety also will not let me accept and live comfortably with the uncertainty of the disability.

Regarding crashing on someone's couch, I'm unfortunately one of those people who has never made a lot of friends. I have a few friends who I consider close, but at the end of the day, I worry that I would be homeless. I know, I know, objectively that's probably the anxiety disorder talking, but it doesn't feel that way.

Yeah you're in the exact same boat as my wife. Huge anxiety about how going back to full time work will physically kill her, then anxiety about not being able to afford our mortgage because I can't find a real job

You're welcome to come stay in my spare bedroom if you can put up with a toddler

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think we had a tabletop rpg argument in here a year ago and I am ready and willing to explain how you, yes you, play badly and how the system I like is correct and good and objectively better

for starters, any rpg released in the 2000s is trash and so is any homebrew based on it