Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
You can add me to the OP if you want. I do read the thread and occasionally post. I’m a Crown Prosecutor in Canada, which just means I’m a prosecutor. I’m happy to talk to anyone about criminal law practice in Canada broadly and prosecutions specifically. I can’t talk about any big law things but my partner is a defence lawyer so I have a good overall sense of both sides of criminal practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

how the hell can you be think that the whole sovereign citizen poo poo would fly in canada?

like they still have the queen

The office of prime minister is mentioned only once and in passing in the constitution of Canada. Basically the whole government functions on convention, which I think makes it harder to try and advance the highly formalistic and pseudo-legal arguments you see from American sovereign citizens.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
How can you have a government without a budget? In the Canadian system basically all government spending requires a vote from Parliament (or the provincial legislature). Loss of supply means you cannot govern.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
It’s funny to me because up here a four year sentence would be unusually harsh for someone like Mannafort. I think it’s a consequence of the insanely harsh system you have overall that it seems soft. Armed robbery will get you three years where I live and that doesn’t bother me.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
I am a prosecutor in Canada and my girlfriend is a defence lawyer and it’s fine. It’s pretty normal in my office. Two other prosecutors have spouses who are defence lawyers. Many other prosecutors have spouses who are lawyers. We’re all quite cordial. I go to the Legal Aid Christmas party every year and it’s never been an issue.

This is of course a small jurisdiction so we necessarily have to get along. I have friends in Toronto and Ottawa where it is quite a bit more vicious. Still, I try as a general rule not to be an rear end in a top hat to defence counsel or do shady things.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
I’m a Canadian lawyer can I join your Discord?

I probably post in this thread once a year but I don’t want to be left out. Also I feel like poo poo is going to go down in the American legal world over the next few weeks.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Anyone have experience in criminal law work in Vancouver/Lower Mainland BC? I know there are BC lawyers around.

I'm potentially in the running for an interesting job with the Crown in Vancouver. I think for a bunch of reasons it could be a good career move for me. But, it would be moving from the East Coast and the hurdles involved are pretty significant: moving across the country, moving in a pandemic, moving to the most expensive city in the country, etc. I'm struggling to parse in my head whether this is actually a good idea or if I just want to jump at any change because of the general oppressive pandemic ennui of being stuck in my house for a year. One issue is that while my partner is generally supportive of the idea she has a job with Legal Aid here doing a criminal/family practice and we have no idea whether she could get work there, how tight the job market is and whether the jobs that are available are an improvement from our current circumstances. She likes criminal work a lot more than family but could do either. If I got the job I would make more money, but if we then lose her income and she can't get work then we've lost money to move to a much more expensive place and that probably doesn't make any sense.

Obviously, no random stranger on the internet can tell me how to make complex personal decisions so I guess I'm looking for general thoughts on what the job market and practice environment is like in Vancouver.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Try moving and telling your new neighbors you're a prosecutor.

I typically tell people I'm a lawyer and if they press I say I work for the government. Which is true. People just get really weird if you say you're a prosecutor and I do not want to have a discussion about whatever random criminal case is in the news.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

She would have been hosed in Norway, the road traffic act § 22 (DUI statute) second section specifically prohibits alcohol consumption within 6 hours of an incident if you understand or should understand if there will be a police inquiry into your driving (such as with a motor vehicle accident).

Canada recently enacted a similar rule. You can be convicted of impaired operation of a conveyance if within two hours of operating the conveyance you blow over 80 and you had a reasonable basis to believe you might be required to provide a sample, such as the fact that you were in a car accident. The accused can lead evidence to prove a pattern of drinking that would prove that they were not over the limit at the time of driving.

I know why Parliament enacted it, everybody hates the “calm my nerves” defence, but I would be very surprised if it survived constitutional challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Nichol posted:

Speaking of which any lower mainland lawyers want to make bank doing largely traffic? I know a guy dying for associates...

Is this a real question? We're probably moving to Vancouver and my partner is looking for a job.