Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here is a success story from this very thread.

Truly the gift that keeps on giving. Love you, Toona!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SV posted:

I will never let this thread die and Linguica will never come back to close it

checkmate old man

A fitting end.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Good poo poo. My policy is to believe them all, no matter how much they smell like bait because it's fun and you'll never know anyway.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

^^^^^^
says sister was the only one he got along with. Misplaced trust.

Some Americans are so lovely about gay people, I totally believe that one.

Believe you me, it doesn't matter what their sexual orientation is when it comes to stealing an inheritance from someone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also, reposting this here because I loving nailed it.

quote:

Dealing with enough real estate litigation, here is my theory:

The Facts
- He's the defendant
- He's being sued for breach of a 'real estate contract'
- They're seeking damages, but not to enforce a lien against the house, or to compel the sale, because otherwise jxd would be mandatory in his county.
- about one year ago, he got out of a rental unit
- The Plaintiff is an LLC from three counties over

The Theory
- He signed up to buy a house from some flip and rip beat that buys lovely houses or foreclosure houses for cash and then tries to sell them for a little bit more cash. We know its not a construction contract (no lien, no jxd) and its not for specific performance (no jxd).
- They require a big earnest money deposit because once people find out what a piece of poo poo house they signed up to buy, they try to back out, thus forfeiting their earnest money.
- He thought he could beat the system, and found out what a piece of poo poo house he signed up to buy, and/or can't get financing because the house is a piece of poo poo, and is trying to back out of the deal and refuses to sign off on the escrow agent releasing the earnest money.
- The Plaintiff doesn't want to force the sale through, they just want to keep the earnest money (which is called "earnest money" because its supposed to show you're "earnest" about wanting to buy the property) and then sell the house to the next poor sap who comes along thinking they can beat the system. Either that or he REALLY hosed up and somehow got the escrow to release the earnest money back to him.
- The Plaintiff is suing to get the earnest money released to them or given back to them, and for incidentals, and for attorneys fees.
- His "plan" is to show all the defects with the house and other problems and he thinks thats gonna be the winner for him and an attorney would just screw that up.

Bonus points for predictions that:
- He used the money he won from his other lawsuit for the earnest money
- He waived getting an inspector because he could "look through the house just fine himself."
- He "Thought about buying a house at a foreclosure sale first..."
- He read the "As Is" part of the contract already, but that doesn't matter because..."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
His problem is that he (allegedly) has a mutual mistake defense, but one that the other side will argue (probably rightly) that he's cooked up now, after the fact, to avoid the transaction.

In order to successfully plead, and prove that claim, he's going to need a real attorney who can navigate a complex contract claim, and navigate parole evidence issues, and navigate around the presumption of knowledge of the instrument as charged to him by his signature, and navigate the complexities of his prior attorney as a potential witness.

Inevitably, Bad House Man, when you search my post history and find this, I say again, unto you:

Go. Get. A. Lawyer.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Eminent Domain posted:

People are 100% stupid enough to pull that poo poo with the will and then be ~shocked~ that they are gonna be held accountable for it

75% of my probate litigation is this happening. The other 25% is off the wall stuff.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm not a real estate or contract attorney, but don't you still have a cause of action in an "as-is" sale if the seller actively concealed faults?

Texas (and every other state as far as I'm concerned) has an attachment for real estate contracts called "seller's disclosures." In it, the seller has to disclose every issue, 1. thats on the list of potential issues and 2. that they know about. Its not mandatory by law to my knowledge unless you're closing through a real estate agent who is required by their license to include one.

There is also a closing period, usually 30 days, where the buyer has the right to 1. hire their own inspector to look for issues, and 2. walk away from the contract and not forfeit their earnest money if shits hosed.

For the kind of fraud you're talking about (lets say, the foundation is hosed up, but the seller generated a false report saying it was fine), then you have a cause of action, but for fraud and damages ($$ to fix the foundation) or fraud and equitable relief (rescission of the sale).

If its an "As Is, buyer is getting their own inspector, seller is making no dislcosures." and its just that the Buyer was too dumb to hire an inspector because they looked at it and said, "I ain't payin no $250! I'll do it myself!" then you're 100% right.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There's lots of people in my family, even on the hosed up side, and we've had lots of deaths, and never really any inheritance squabbling.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I guess I just always figured Canada didn't have enough contemptuous, boonie idiots to field a squad of sovereign citizens, but I was wrong.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Both threads have been ON FIRE these last few days. Keep up the good work, everyone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, you know what they say.

No one can hear you scream in a cabin in the woods?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, has anyone ever in all their years of civil practice seen a paid, private process server straight up lie about service on their return?

I swear to god I'm looking at the return, and it says, "date, time, location" and its literally 100% false - not even, "he got one detail wrong" false, and of course the guy says he's never been served in his life, but he wasn't even in town that day and can prove it, and the location he says he served him at was closed at the alleged time of service, and we can prove it.

Its the first time I've ever seen something like this.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my return says, "Personal Service" on "[Individual]". So substituted service, no posting, no room for interpretation, and I can't believe it by the dude literally wasn't there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Server could've gone to the wrong house, happens often enough.

I guess, but its a standalone business, and the words, "________________ AUTO DEALERSHIP" appear right there on the petition.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Please tell me it wasn't my office. We sue lots of dealers.

Haha, no. Individual.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

It's not either/or. It's how much time is given discussing the one, versus the other.

In their eyes, liberals are hyper-focused on the rights of people who make up roughly 1-5% of the population (yes, I recognize minorities are a larger percentage of the population, but not where these people are from), and do not give a poo poo about the bulk of America. In fact, I think they believe (not entirely without some justification) that liberals are actively condescending and patronizing toward the bulk of America. It's really hard to vote for people that essentially sneer at you.

I genuinely do not think that the bulk of these people hate gays, transgendered, and minorities. I think they primarily don't give a gently caress, and wonder why so much time is spent on figuring out which bathrooms people can use when they can't get jobs and are dying en masse from poor health care, drug epidemics, etc., and are seeing their purchasing power just get destroyed by growing wealth inequality. The difference is, to them, wealth inequality is gained magically by giving them more opportunities, rather than taking something from those who already have.

I essentially think both sides have a caricature of the other side in mind when they think about the other side, rather than actually understanding them. The difference is, I think that liberals do it too (even though they think they don't), where they think every rural person and every conservative voter is a hillbilly with 50 guns who beats his wife every night before dragging a gay guy behind a pickup truck.

Anyway, with regards to the poor who voted for Trump, I'm not saying it's right (in fact, I don't think it's right, I think they are actually harming themselves), I'm saying it's what they think. They do not think they're voting against their own interests. They think they've voting for someone who at least talks about bringing their jobs back, etc. instead of talking about loan forgiveness for those drat spoiled college kids from the coasts.

This is spot on.

I grew up off a red dirt road, AMA

Alexeythegreat posted:

This is getting dangerously close to D&D

No one has been called a nazi yet, so we're still miles away.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Adar posted:

I agree this is a lot of it. The problem is that both the Hillbilly Elegy take and the burn them all down take can be true. Those people "don't really care" about minorities either way and just want their old jobs back, but when push comes to shove they'd really rather those minorities hosed off back where they came from and are happy the orange man on TV says what everyone really thinks about it.

See, e.g., every Trump voter quote from the past 24 months.

The true ratio of people who think, "those people shouldn't have ______________ specifically because they're a minority." to those who feel like "those people shouldn't have ______________ before me/other people just because they're a minority." is probably very low.

Most people are ascribing a level of cognitive processing to the second kind of person that they just aren't capable of/not interested in. A thoughtful person will work through the fact that parts of society are fundamentally stacked against the poor and against minorities, and that it takes creative problem solving to upend entrenched social blocks to upward mobility. They'd be able to separate issues of pure inequality (police profiling) with issues of fundamental inequality (college admission preferences).

A less thoughtful person will only see raw information that feels unfair to their fundamental principals of self-reliance, and what their learned notion of equality is.

Additionally, a less thoughtful person on the other side of the issue might take the same kind of shortcut when analyzing those people and say, "well they're just hateful bigots."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Of course, the Most thoughtful person will use QUANTUM GRAMMAR to syntax the issue into resolution

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

Which part, that people are dismissive and close-minded? Or condescending and patronizing?

SlyBurn

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

"Vance escaped their fate by joining the Marines and serving in Iraq. Afterward, he attended Ohio State and Yale Law School, where he was mentored by Amy Chua, the law professor and tiger mom. He now lives in San Francisco, where he works at Mithril Capital Management, the investment firm helmed by Peter Thiel."

He speaks for, uh, someone.

You missed the sentence right before that:

quote:

His family struggled with poverty and domestic violence, of which he was a victim. His mother was addicted to drugs—first to painkillers, then to heroin. Many of his neighbors were jobless and on welfare.

Sounds like he speaks for lots of people.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

His solutions for those neighbors are seemingly 1) cut welfare and 2) improve the "culture" of those communities... somehow. It's the same prescription that the GOP has for inner-city black communities. He provides a sympathetic backstory for evil.

Or, you could do I like did and spend 90 seconds reading the article.

quote:

And yet it would be wrong to see Vance’s book as yet another entry in our endless argument about whether this or that group’s poverty is caused by “economic” or “cultural” factors. “Hillbilly Elegy” sees the “economics vs. culture” divide as a dead metaphor—a form of manipulation rather than explanation more likely to conceal the truth than to reveal it.

I know you're trolling but its so convincingly disguised as your standard-fare, faux-progressive twitter rhetoric that it annoys me via placebo effect.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

guy wins lottery; pens book on winning lottery as the key to escaping poverty

Wherein joining the marines, being deployed to Iraq, graduating from college and from Yale is "as easy, as winning the lottery."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Not getting blown up by a random ied is pretty lottery like

The Butt Locker

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God who bought blargh's new av.

I did it with hillbilly money

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Oh, what the hell, if we're gonna go full twitter, here's the Jacobin review and a Huffington Post rejoinder:

Counterpoint: the review from the New Yorker I posted says the opposite of the reviews from Jacobin and Huffpo you posted.

To be clear, you are saying poor, white, rural, racist, misogynistic culture is, in fact, good - correct? Please speak directly into the microphone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, though I thought Bush was dumb and Gore got robbed in 2000, it became perfectly clear in 2004 that the GOP and republicans were utter fucks who would toe the line no matter what, considering they trashed a literal decorated war hero in favor of a loving numbskull draft dodger cokehead.

After listening to my republican retired veteran grandfather constantly rant about "draft dodging pothead" Clinton for 8 years (died in 2000 but I think I know who he would have voted for)

I like people who weren't captured

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I remember half joking during the primaries about wanting him to get elected because I wanted to see our country burn to the ground, while consuming itself and now I'm sorry.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

blargh your new avatar is Very Good

You'll always be Arod Dicksparkles to me

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Again though, in a functional country, McCain would have had a press conference where he called Trump a loving cowardly dipshit and demand he produce medical evidence of his bone spurs. But then again, :decorum:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Incidentally 2004 was when I lost all faith in the Democratic party. John Kerry should have had a press conference where he went off about this poo poo and called the entire Bush cabinet a bunch of cowardly fucks. But :decorum:

What is it with you and press conferences??

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
We have one JP judge who hates lawyers so much he will:
- unabashedly rule against someone who is represented without regard to the facts
- refuses to give lawyers settings for anything (lawyer requests hearing on discovery motion? 'we'll send you a notice, it will be about 6 months' - so we send the client in to the clerks to ask later that day, they give her one in 3 weeks)
- refuses to grant continuances, agreed or otherwise, if an attorney files it
- refuses to allow law firms to get copies of the documents on file unless "the lawyer in charge requests them" (went to desk to get copy of pleading filed by Pro Se that he never served on us, and clerk says, "only the attorney in charge can get copies." I was like, "Its a public record, anyone can get copies." "No, Judge says only the attorney in charge, are you '[Female, but sometimes also male name]?' of Blarzgh's firm." I fuckin lied and said, "yes." and got the loving thing.
- refuses to sign default judgments after the deadline without having a hearing (which he refuses to set) despite the fact that the rules specifically say JPs "must sign the default judgment, without a hearing."

Cus whatta ya gonna do? Mandamus a fuckin JP?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

Was it literally just "get hired by anyone who will take me"

At the time, yes.

Now that I'm a few years and a few trips to the courthouse in, I've got a pretty good idea of the jobs that would fit my goals.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Do you think in 25 years that they'll be doing gritty Paw Patrol movie remakes?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

If it helps, motherfucker dug his own grave and you're just a paid coffin hauler. gently caress'm, he wants to antagonize and ignore the only guy on his team? He' gonna be just a story to you less than a week after he's put away.

Yup. Most people are where they are because they drove themselves.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Point:
1. if your friend is already thinking about quitting after his first year, and got no OCI offers, then congratulations, they're experiencing the same thing as 95% of the rest of their class, and most people who go to law school.

2. Unless their living expenses are killing them/driving them into insurmountable debt, then this is basically free education, whether they end up practicing or not.

Counterpoint:
1. The difference between getting and using a humanities degree, and getting and using a JD is about the difference between painting a picture of kittens, and having a knife fight in a dark alley to save a bag of kittens(your clients) who keep wandering back into dark alleys causing you to get into more knife fights.

Conclusion:
I can't, in good conscience, tell your friend they should give up a free education, even one they might only use as a stepping stone to a different career, because "its hard and discouraging."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Murdered to death in a log cabin in the Scandinavian wilderness.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

should I tell our supervisor, or just let it go?

Edit: I'm with everyone else; tattle on him.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I came here to post that, drat it.

What do you mean by "magic bullet lawyer"? It sounds complimentary when nothing else you've said was. Does it mean a sort of all-eggs-in-one-basket argument approach?

I hope he means, "manages to kill everything he touches." lol

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Career services is the absolute most useless part of any law school

Pretty sure thats the Admissions department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009