Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

never stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If anyone listed in the OP would like to be removed, PM me.

i insist my name be corrected

also im biglaw not midlaw

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

It reads like a troll to me because the guy posting is like "omg I didn't think this was such a serious issue we just thought it was more fair for us to get the money" and "omg I can't believe it we could be in trouble for stealing this guys money whaaaaaat I can't believe he's suing us where did he even get the will"?

Nobody can be that stupid, right?

the entitlement is really easy

that they thought they would get away with it pretty clearly boils down to they didn't think he could ever find out as long as they suborned the sister. now that he found out, they're sort of stuck so it makes sense to minimize, and if they're as bigoted as the guy comes across I could easily believe that they don't quite get that the law is going to side with this homosexual racial minority over them

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

fixed that for you because you know very well what language they used.

well, i don't know which racial minority the partner was, and the guy's family seemed like the people to use the correct racial slurs for different minorities considering they were just randomly sending him the slurs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

Take the state job. This is someone offering you a ladder out of the well.

also it's worth pointing out that a state job is, basically, a job for as long as you want it while most private practice jobs are going to be sort of an up or out situation

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Also this. You can be a piece of poo poo at work doing just enough to get by while you use state government internet to apply for better jobs.

I didn't mean it so much in a "you can be a lazy poo poo" way as that it gives him financial security a lot longer (probably: state budgets could always be cut).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh my god that guy's "defense" in the legal questions thread was basically prose.txt

his poor lawyer will not get paid enough for dealing with him

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i do not see ONE REFERENCE to admiralty law here, you're fired

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ulmont posted:

Google Scholar has it although it is not as easy to pull all the cases that have questioned, distinguished, or outright overruled it.

it turns on a different section of the code than the one he quoted, that applies only to selling lots

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arcturas posted:

Lexis Advance is so much worse than Westlaw Next. Leagues and leagues. I'm seriously sad my firm is cancelling its Westlaw subscription because it claims that Lexis is an adequate replacement. And that's just the primary research capabilities. The secondary sources on Lexis are also atrocious. (Why is Moore's noticeably worse than Wright & Miller? They've had like a million years to get it up to snuff....)

on the other hand lexis has Collier's on Bankruptcy and Westlaw has...well, some pale imitation

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

how the hell can you be think that the whole sovereign citizen poo poo would fly in canada?

like they still have the queen

it actually seems a lot easier to imagine there's bizarre legal loopholes that nobody has quashed and everyone just agrees to ignore in a legal system that still technically has a queen

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Nah. Just “we’ll give you a job and pay your travel room and board. If you leave before you’ve repaid us we’ll press charges. By the way your room and board cost more than we are paying you.”

also, we're paying you half of what we promised you originally

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Ok, has anyone ever in all their years of civil practice seen a paid, private process server straight up lie about service on their return?

I swear to god I'm looking at the return, and it says, "date, time, location" and its literally 100% false - not even, "he got one detail wrong" false, and of course the guy says he's never been served in his life, but he wasn't even in town that day and can prove it, and the location he says he served him at was closed at the alleged time of service, and we can prove it.

Its the first time I've ever seen something like this.

lawsuits over consumer debt are notorious for doing this, using process servers who will just lie and throw out the complaint so that you get a default judgment

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

Y'all need to read Hillbilly Elegy. Having grown up in a rural area, it explains it pretty well.

Poor white people do not want to hear about trans issues, gay rights, minorities, and feminism. Nor do they want to be told how stupid they are, how racist they are, how sexist they are, and how enlightened their betters in government and other positions of leadership are.

They're going to vote against their interests for so long as liberals are too stupid to sound like they care about their interests.

yeah that is probably true, but when forced to choose between them and all women, minorities, gays, and any other minority they hate, gonna wind up deciding they can get hosed rather than deciding that it's time women had enough rights

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

It's not either/or. It's how much time is given discussing the one, versus the other.

In their eyes, liberals are hyper-focused on the rights of people who make up roughly 1-5% of the population (yes, I recognize minorities are a larger percentage of the population, but not where these people are from), and do not give a poo poo about the bulk of America.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's what they think. They do not think they're voting against their own interests. They think they've voting for someone who at least talks about bringing their jobs back, etc. Instead of talking about loan forgiveness for those drat spoiled college kids from the coasts.

yeah but given that they're going to be getting their news from sources with a vested interest in lying about how much time is spent working on one or the other, the only way you counter that is to just abandon doing anything for anyone besides bubba, throwing women, minorities, gays, etc overboard because spending any time on their interests will be taken as ~too much time~ so we wind up back in the exact same place: gently caress em

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

guy wins lottery; pens book on winning lottery as the key to escaping poverty

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

John Kerry made the correct decision. That yellow goo they call "cheese" is horrid.

cheese whiz is a crime against humanity but the good cheese on a cheesesteak is provolone not swiss

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If he struck out for first year "OCI" for jobs at a law firm over his 1L summer, who the gently caress cares. I think virtually nobody at my school got a job from those. If he struck out at actual OCI, the stuff for a job for your 2L summer, then he's got some issues. And he needs to figure out what those are, if he's got terrible grades, terrible personality, or just glaring typos on his resume (he should check for that).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nirvikalpa posted:

It's his personality. His grades are fine, and if they weren't he wouldn't be getting OCIs, right? But I feel like a good JD will open up some kind of door for him, just not sure what.
Yes, he is striking out for jobs for 2L summer. I think it is personality. How is someone supposed to deal with it? I asked him if his law school does practice interviews but I guess those can only do so much.

to be clear, this means he has such a bad personality that in thirty minutes he manages to turn off someone who is basically screening only for "will i hate working with this person?/does this person demonstrate stunningly bad judgment?" who doesn't reeeeally care about the OCI process all that much. he should talk to his career services to do a practice interview or two because he's gotta be doing something like sexually harassing the interviewers if he didn't even get a callback with fine grades at a t14 school, so they can tell him what the gently caress he's doing that's so off-putting.

OCI interviews are not well-oiled machines, it's whoever got caught without a good excuse not to do it, interviewing everyone for a half an hour with no real firm idea of what they're doing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nirvikalpa posted:

He only wants to do corporate law for the money. It doesn't seem law otherwise interests him at all.

if he's telling people that in the interviews, he should stop. nobody really expects your passion to be corporate transactions, but there is an expected level of pretending you do, and being unable to glean that and/or unwilling or unable to fake it isn't good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the most important reason to have questions to ask is the interviewer probably ran out of questions and wants to shift the burden onto you to come up with some, having no questions is not just poor preparation but you're making their life harder

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is the correct course of action and result.

Though the "require to disclose interviews" seems problematic. Once the job is taken, sure, but otherwise seems ripe for retaliatory action.

yeah though if you're in government, it seems less problematic. if it were a private firm you betcha i'd ignore the gently caress out of that rule.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that said i'd probably have done the same thing as that guy even in government, you'd have to be loving insane to inform your employer you're interviewing before having a job lined up. but, uh, keep your mouth shut about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also just in case you're curious about who Individual-1 is:

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1032024440475922432

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I assume they remanded Manafort to the marshals after the verdict, right? He’s been incarcerated this whole time?

Yeah his bail was revoked for witness tampering.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alexeythegreat posted:

This breaks laws or legal physics or whatever

drat

How do I word this better

It violates my sense of judicial propriety

There

a surprising amount of the american legal system, and the constitution in particular, derives from english law that assumed of course you have a monarch

the pardon power is copied from the king's absolute power over the judiciary, the american concept of sovereign immunity is copied from the idea that it would be absurd for the king to need to stand trial in his own courts

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

It felt like Mormons were the most common religion (possibly because no one talked about it) at my law school. I just don't know how the survive.

the one mormon i vaugely knew in law school survived by cracking and beginning to drink

not a great time to discover alcohol for the first time

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ActusRhesus posted:

Well that I can see.

Opposing counsel though.

Opposing counsel.

don't you not need a subpoena for getting information from a party opponent

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Valentin posted:

hi law thread. if I've accepted an offer from my 2L summer job, is my only remaining goal to take the easiest classes possible and coast through 3L? or is it actually worthwhile to take black-letter law classes?

pretty much. take anything that (a) looks interesting; (b) looks easy as poo poo; (c) will make studying for the bar exam easier

the only exception would be is if you got put in a practice area you're not super familiar with. had i known i would be a bankruptcy lawyer, i probably would have taken a bankruptcy class!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

I can't understand this at all, why would they do that?

As to AR's case they must want to have her present on trial so they can demand to put her on the stand and testify about all her vile deeds instead of having an underling show up and claim no knowledge

I assume because the documents were confidential and were supposed to be returned or destroyed when the first case was over, not just retained by the firm. If you want the documents again you gotta subpoena company A again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

Take whatever easy classes that give you a schedule with the most free time available so you can do all the fun poo poo you’re gonna miss when you go graduation to studying the bar to being a first year associate

yeah 3L year is going to be your last sustained period of stress-free goofing off until you retire

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yronic heroism posted:

Also the one time I brought a motion to quash a subpoena, I won and it was freakin’ sweet.

one of the more fun litigation things i've done was repeatedly giving the other side the middle finger when they tried to subpoena my foreign client with no us presence, and then trying to not call them morons when they asked if i would accept service of the subpoena on my client's behalf

no, i think we're going to force you to jump through a year's worth of legal hoops and show up in an unfriendly court half a globe away rather than spend a lot of money to assist you in a frivolous claim, sorry buddy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i continue to believe that texas's court system is one of the most hosed up in the western world

not even just their criminal system, how the gently caress do you not have a real motion to dismiss in civil cases

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ulmont posted:

I thought Texas added a motion to dismiss in 2013? But you are not wrong re: Texas systems generally (not that I can talk from here across the Sabine).

They did, except that it has mandatory-fee shifting for the prevailing party, it's worded in a way that makes it unclear if it matches FRCP 12b6 or has a higher standard, and from what I got told by local counsel when I wanted to file a motion to dismiss that would be a slam-dunk in federal court there's so little precedent (due to mandatory fee-shifting) that texas courts just default to denying them rather than risk getting overturned on appeal. So nobody files them, so there continues to be no real precedent.

So if you file a motion to dismiss the court is probably going to hem and haw and just deny it and send it to the jury rather than risk getting overturned on appeal, and for that privilege you'll get to pay the plaintiff's lawyers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

As weird as Texas can be sometimes, it has never decided if its Pro-litigant or Anti-litigant. Tort Reform in the 90's cut the legs out from under all kinds of Personal Injury work, where as Discovery Reform in the 90's was a huge boon to Plaintiffs. Things like the 91a Motion were hamstrung by the Plaintiff's Bar to the point that its completely ineffective, yet the CPRC Ch. 27 "Anti-SLAPP" motion from a couple years ago has been used and broadened to great effect against Plaintiffs.

Basically, we don't know which side of the fence we are on, I think, and the Supreme Court keeps changing its mind.

that quirk where you could resurrect a claim that had expired based on the statute of limitations by naming someone else, adding the party that the statute of limitations had expired against, then dropping the initial party was really something

i dont recall exactly how it worked but it was the stupidest civil procedure thing i'd ever heard

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

All true. Of course, most of us here are guilty of worse, save for a handful of the public servants and the non-profit saints.

please i just redistribute money between large hedge funds depending on which one was smart enough to hire me, its basically victimless no matter who wins

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

thankee, thankee.

Any consideration of death penalty policy should bear in mind that current death penalty methods are inhumane in part because of efforts by anti-death penalty advocates to make other methods impossible. This is a direct parallel (I mean really direct, down to threatening airlines) to animal rights groups poo poo.

this is not true

the vast majority of movement on death penalty methods is the state wishing to minimize the gore and horror of killing someone and turn it from a bloody spectacle into a bloodless procedure because people will not tolerate the bloody spectacle anymore

it is not hard to behead someone or to shoot them in the head or to hang them, but that's too openly brutal and not sterile enough for modern sensibilities to preserve a willingness to kill people

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

The only thing an official language would do in America would be making it easier for republicans to deprive minorities of their rights

that is point of government, da?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

Yet they love Evilweasel

uh i think you'll find plenty do not :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lote posted:

Counterpoint: they don’t.