Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just scanned the OPs looking for my name. I was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil almost became a policy level administrator at ICE so....

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Don't most home sales let you back out during the inspection period?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Aren't you a lawyer?

Big law attorneys are only lawyers in the abstract sense.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

Just got a Not Guilty on a felony drug case where my guy was looking at a possible life sentence. :feelsgood:

Update: they make him subject to the gang injunction and toss him in jail for 300 days anyway every year.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Government jobs: where you're expected to take your leave and enjoy your life.

I honestly don't know how the rest of y'all do it.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Alexeythegreat posted:

Where can I get that pallet

Any number of oligarchs castles in our country or yours!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

Take the state job. This is someone offering you a ladder out of the well.

My god, toona has made it!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm delighted by all the people jumping in to defend our guild against sv.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm gonna use my amazing government Westlaw to pull that cite for free.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The only thing that turns me on is a sexy lady!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wow, even Russia has online access to courts dockets.

Get hosed Texas.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do not post sincere replies to throatwarbler. He is either a troll or evil.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was never going to post again (I really just wanted to post "common law means it's for the common man") but I am weak and lack discipline

Sadly euphro took you seriously because he refuses to read this thread as outta depressing.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

Sadly? Amazingly.

Also, now that almost all of us have jobs, this thread is way less depressing. We basically get to dunk on people dumb enough to go to law school in YOL 2018.

Tbh I've always thought he found it depressing because everyone here is doing better than him.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I guess, but its a standalone business, and the words, "________________ AUTO DEALERSHIP" appear right there on the petition.

Please tell me it wasn't my office. We sue lots of dealers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I have classmates here who did undergrad law back in the home country, did the LSAT well enough and had a compelling enough story to come to the US on a full ride scholarship, and in turn do well enough to get into V100 biglaw, at least into the program where they can send you back to the home country satellite office if your H1B visa doesn't come through the first time.

I think you have a pretty compelling story and also being an actual real life lawyer in Russia seems pretty cool from a law school admissions perspective. You sound qualified enough to get into at least a T25 school on a full ride scholarship, law firms here have enough people from a Russian/ fUSSR background that networking should be easy, and fluency in French and Russian has got to be a nice perk. Why not try doing an LSAT? The cost of an LSAT and some law school applications is a fairly minimal investment to explore that possiblity, that's how I ended up here.

You don't get to give advice

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Im not reading any of the previous posts but the hillbilly elegy guy is a grifter and I'm sorry you've fallen for it

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'll take care of him for 150k/yr.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yuns buddy are you maybe the schizophrenic?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice I think you should take it. Your worst case scenario is it sucks and you stop doing it soon. Just leave it off the resume if that happens.

Best case is you love it and it turns into a permanent job.

Most likely situation? It gives you some lawyer job for a few months while you keep looking. But now, your resume says "contact attorney" instead of unemployed. It changes things dramatically.

Or move to Texas, take the bar, and join my firm that I'll start in 22 years.

Quite honestly, I'd move mountains for anyone looking for work in Austin. May just be government work, but it's work. I know how hard it is. I've gotten 3 of my former law clerks hired at my job, and reached out all over for others.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 18, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Do you think in 25 years that they'll be doing gritty Paw Patrol movie remakes?

Blarzgh no. Your kid is still young. Do not let her watch paw patrol. I've seen so many episodes I corrected a kid at the pool yesterday on how many merpup episodes there are.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's not the right spot long term but ya gotta get experience. Just don't stop looking, and don't feel bad when you quit this job with a days notice. That don't pay, they don't get loyalty.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr Nice why are you getting to destroy yourself. Don't tell them you're gonna bounce in a minute. Take the work, take the money, take the experience. They KNOW you're gonna leave asap. They just need a warm body doing work and you're cheaper than a paralegal.

You've been out a year. You're still not barred. If you don't get poo poo moving soon you probably won't be a lawyer. I know it's never been your goal but it's almost too late.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

"What classes did you take/do you wish you had taken that have been the most helpful?"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Separate post for an ethics-lite question.

We all know I'm a.divergent litigator. I have a newer attorney (NA) working under me. He's first chairing a jury trial in October. Im his second chair - but I'm taking on a greater roll in teaching than normal.

I know that NA has accepted an offer from a private firm that litigates directly with us. Like, I have 5 active cases where this firm is defense counsel. I'm happy for NA to go make money, because frankly he works too hard for government work.

NA has not told anyone in my office (of even me) that he is leaving. He told a mutual friend if ours, who warned me. NA is planning on staying through the jury trial so he can get "experience." I find NA to be insufferable and I do not like to work with him. I tell you this in full disclosure.

Here is the dilemma: I do not want an attorney who is heading out the door in 2 months for a competitor to try a case for my office. I do not think he will tank the case vel sim. I do not think he will disclose privileged information. And the case is not against the firm he is joining. My concern is that I don't particularly care for NA. I don't want to train him how to do a jury trial. I don't want him to later profit (against my client) due to the things I'm teaching him.

If he left after the trial for private practice, and I didn't know he had been sitting on a job the whole time, I don't think I would care. But now that I do know, I'm annoyed. I don't think I have any ethical duty to disclose (but maybe?). But should I tell our supervisor, or just let it go?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'd rather first chair it anyway. Dude is a magic bullet lawyer.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

1. I've looked at a few of my colleagues open cases. He has multiple cases with the firm he's joining. I'm giving him until the end of today to let our admin know.

2. Magic bullet lawyer is a term I've used since advocacy exercises in law school. There are some lawyers who try to solve cases. Like there is some combination of facts and law that make the case unbeatable. And if you thread all the needles correctly you'll win.

But litigation, especially with my niche, is about what you can get in front of a jury without getting mistrialed or reversed. Just because something "shouldn't be admissible" doesn't mean it won't come in or be reversible error.

All of my cases are dueling experts. I can do everything perfectly and still lose. And all of my cases are jury trials. Juries are always a coin flip. My last case that I won was based solely on the fact that a juror worked construction and said "you can't put a crane on top of that building it's too weak, so we discounted everything they said."

In sum, nothing matters and my goal in litigation is to have clean hands and be prepared, but assume I will lose. Trying to crack the case just doesn't apply.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought our career services were pretty good and helpful, to the extent that I could be helped by anyone. Gave me good advice on resumes and interviews, even hooked me up with a phone interview in 1L.

I've been asked to hold a talk and share my experiences when I return to class. :unsmith:

You are a loving monster.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Update to my ethical issue.

I told my immediate supervisor, who also supervises NA. He was irate. Not at someone leaving, but at NA keeping it a secret. Turns out we have an agency policy that requires you to disclose if you're interviewing outside the agency for private practice. You know, to prevent conflicts?

Anyway, it's now being passed up the ladder. And I'm absolved of any further responsibilities. There's a good chance NA will be let go today. He'll probably be pissed off but that's how it goes. If he had told admin, they may have been more amenable.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's probably more "if you're interviewing at one of the firms that we routinely see across the aisle" rather than moving across state and done entirely for conflict/taint reasons.

They want to make sure you're walled off from those firms. There is absolutely retaliation though. I've seen it happen. And I work at the AG, so there isn't a firm in Texas that doesn't have at least one case with us. But our niche sees that same 20 firms primarily.

Anyway, the "don't be the highest level person in your bureaucracy with a secret" advice really hit home so thanks for that!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hoshi posted:

Mutual friend warned him I think

That's exactly correct.

Mutual friend only informed me because it would gently caress up my trial schedule and life to not know I'm about to first chair this case. Also he was worried about ethics too (he also works in the agency but not our division).

The answer is keep your mouth shut, and if you start applying to firms wall yourself off.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

A final follow up to my ethics issue. The attorney has been let go due to failure to disclose a conflict. Im glad I reported. I was given his agency issued fan.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you get something out of it you snitch?

Yes, I got his fan. Now my office has two fans. This is a major win, because my office does not have an air conditioning vent.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Also, does anyone think it was wrong to report that an attorney was in active litigation against a firm from which he had accepted a job offer?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The agency told him he needs to self report.

I've been trying to upload a picture of the fan because it's truly glorious but I can't get it up.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh I actually did advise him to tell the agency first. I spent an entire day telling him. He kept insisting it's not a conflict.

Also, I'm loving glad I murdered him I got a fan.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Fans in Texas have max value from March to November.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I told him come clean or I'll clean your clock.

In reality he's gonna go make 6 figures so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

We're all Jewish down here.