Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Vox Nihili posted:

GET MONEY, did you make your decision? We need fresh blood.

Accepted the US offer :c00l: but deferred a year to maybe still come to my senses wring out more cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Tipps posted:

In addition to our 6 weeks of vacation a year (with an extra week for every 3 years of seniority, capping at 16w a year), 2 bonus weeks off at Xmas, and strict 37.5h work week, we have the option to take 80% of our paycheque for 4 years and then have a full year off at 80% pay.

I love working for the government.

Is this a normal Canada government lawyer thing or specific to tundra law?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

2. Magic bullet lawyer is a term I've used since advocacy exercises in law school. There are some lawyers who try to solve cases. Like there is some combination of facts and law that make the case unbeatable. And if you thread all the needles correctly you'll win.

If it's not litigation, what's the best practice area to be a (rich) magic bullet lawyer?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

LeschNyhan posted:

I’m still not convinced you’re not a troll, but “magic bullet lawyer” was neither complimentary nor a practice recommendation.

Yes, I recognized that, but the “magic bullet” approach is appealing and it’s not clear whether it would fail in areas other than niche litigation. For example, from what I’ve heard, tax practice can be somewhat magic bullet-y. I’d like to know if there is anything else?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

^^ yeah see fighting over clever carve outs, that’s the stuff that gets my engine revving

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For an alleged smart person you're pretty dull

Sounds like I’m built for law school then

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol appealing. Throatwarbler and GET MONEY jumping the shark the same week.

Don’t assume there are firm Answers in tax law just bc it’s numbers and math.

I get it, nothing is guaranteed because humans are crazy and nothing matters, but some specializations must lend themselves more to “case-solving” than others.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 23, 2018

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

GET MONEY posted:

Yes, I recognized that, but the “magic bullet” approach is appealing and it’s not clear whether it would fail in areas other than niche litigation. For example, from what I’ve heard, tax practice can be somewhat magic bullet-y. I’d like to know if there is anything else?

Upon research I've narrowed the most magic bullet-y practices down to:

• Antitrust
  • Appellate practice
  • Bankruptcy
  • Entertainment & sports
  • Insurance coverage
  • Insurance defense
  • Intellectual property
  • Labor & employment
  • Personal injury
  • Tax
  • Telecommunication

Any thoughts on which areas are dying/thriving, or offer the best shot at biglaw employment?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Admiralty was considered but I figure it's too niche and also sometimes I get seasick. I could probably strike tax, personal injury, labor & employment, and insurance coverage too.

Per my understanding, the rest all offer varied work that regularly balances factual analysis and problem solving with intellectual exercise.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

No qualms there, "goodness" is relative -- those areas in particular just seemed more formulaic and less strategic after diving a bit deeper.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

GET MONEY is here to, well, get money. GET MONEY has decided that he absolutely must be a biglaw associate and is trying to find his niche so he can give grandiose arguments in front of a jury like they do on TV to facilitate the getting of said money.

I do care about career earning potential (as a byproduct of doing interesting work solving problems and developing case strategy), but having to do jury trials regularly would be a big negative. This is all just early planning so I can tailor my extracurriculars and prioritize firms.

Anyway, thanks to the two serious respondents.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

ulmont posted:

I did ten years as a biglaw Intellectual Property associate. Your understanding is flat wrong.

Could you elaborate before I scratch it off too? Looking specifically at soft IP litigation.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Pretty sure your demonstrated interests can still impact your trajectory

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

I'm a Flaming Lamborghini because my law school plans sound fancy, look fancy, and there's a good chance it all goes wrong and I get horribly burnt.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

since you know the issue have you tried looking up the rule, figuring out the application, and reaching a conclusion that appeals to public policy goals?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Nonexistence posted:

The ratio of estate issues with settled law to ones that are looney tunes nightmare factories of conflicting statutes, cases, and evidence is like 100/1. I acknowledge you could be joking or trolling.

yeah i haven't taken Wills and Trusts yet but that doesn't sound very fun so maybe i won't

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Bill Barr is cool and smart sorry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

when someone asks to see how my midterm papers are going