Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Replaying this motherfucker of a game after years and it's insane how it's the utter best of its kind even after a decade. I did the DLCs since I haven't played them on my first playthrough and this is the current tier list I'm giving them.

1- Lonesome Road - What a loving ride. True ending of the game and a real thrill to play.
2 - Honest Hearts - Great writing, comfy location, wish there was more Graham
3 - Dead Money - Sierra Madre is a real loving chore to explore
4 - Old World blues because of the loving roboscorpions spawning out of nowhere and taking a trillion hits to kill even with anti robot weaponry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this is one of my all-timers and I never played the dlcs, one day i'll correct this

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
There’s some kind of lasting appeal to New Vegas that’s hard to describe- probably even more than the original Fallout games- where the writing and visuals are both good enough and corny enough to be extremely memorable, and the gameplay and controls are both serviceable enough and wacky enough to also be extremely memorable. It’s one of those games that is so completely and purely a true ‘video game’ that it pops up in my head right away when someone says the phrase ‘video game’, like Tetris, and Super Mario World, and The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt. Anyone who hasn’t played this game by now really deserves to.

That being said, NCR players are simpering bootlickers and Legion players are evil psychos, and Mr. House players are gutless libertarians.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dave Foley's disastrous divorce FTW.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I've beaten it multiple times and also have never played the DLC. I need to go back and do it again

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

It's good when games give you dialogue checks based on your character being retarded.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZwfJoZ2oE

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

That being said, NCR players are simpering bootlickers and Legion players are evil psychos, and Mr. House players are gutless libertarians.

No gods or kings, my dude. :respek:

New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game, and one of my favorite games in general. Literally everyone I've talked to who bitched about how the factions worked either didn't understand it, didn't put work into it, or didn't care until it negatively affected their progress. "What do you mean I can't murder literally anyone and get away scot free? :qq:" Yeah, it's not perfect. No, it isn't broken as long as you're not a flailing dumbass. I wish it was a bit more fleshed-out, but that can be said about basically every AAA game that gets rushed out. IIRC, The Great Khans were supposed to be an endgame faction on par with the NCR, Legion, or Mr. House. That would have been rad.

Highlights:

Lonesome Road is incredible. Dat freeway overpass. God drat. :unsmigghh:
Vault 11: best vault. In any game. Fite me.
Boone's first quest is so good in how it illustrates how lovely small town people can be, just in thi case the most monstrous way possible.
The Archimedes II zap gun

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sivek posted:

It's good when games give you dialogue checks based on your character being retarded.

Yeah lol

Characters with really high Luck have some good ones too, like being able to randomly guess security codes or successfully performing brain surgery without the necessary medical skill, like they just crack the skull open and start poking around and it just sorta happens to work out.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
There's a lot to like about this game, too bad it's in the Fallout 3 engine

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Railing Kill posted:

No gods or kings, my dude. :respek:

New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game, and one of my favorite games in general. Literally everyone I've talked to who bitched about how the factions worked either didn't understand it, didn't put work into it, or didn't care until it negatively affected their progress. "What do you mean I can't murder literally anyone and get away scot free? :qq:" Yeah, it's not perfect. No, it isn't broken as long as you're not a flailing dumbass. I wish it was a bit more fleshed-out, but that can be said about basically every AAA game that gets rushed out. IIRC, The Great Khans were supposed to be an endgame faction on par with the NCR, Legion, or Mr. House. That would have been rad.

Highlights:

Lonesome Road is incredible. Dat freeway overpass. God drat. :unsmigghh:
Vault 11: best vault. In any game. Fite me.
Boone's first quest is so good in how it illustrates how lovely small town people can be, just in thi case the most monstrous way possible.
The Archimedes II zap gun

Yep!

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 8, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah lol

Characters with really high Luck have some good ones too, like being able to randomly guess security codes

There's a good one with like eight luck or something where you guess 'ice cream' is the password for a security robot, but if you have 1 Intelligence, you can also just yell out 'ice cream'.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
skill and stat checks are great. they sort of trivialize some encounters but, uh, you can also not use them

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Replaying this motherfucker of a game after years and it's insane how it's the utter best of its kind even after a decade. I did the DLCs since I haven't played them on my first playthrough and this is the current tier list I'm giving them.

1- Lonesome Road - What a loving ride. True ending of the game and a real thrill to play.
4 - Old World blues because of the loving roboscorpions spawning out of nowhere and taking a trillion hits to kill even with anti robot weaponry

Swap lonesome road and dead money you brain damaged Brazilian fuckwit.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I support house because he makes me think of when I play a map game campaign and some annoying adventurer or revolt appears out of nowhere after centuries of meticulous planning and everything fails.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wanted to replay this but it seems like this isn’t even a simulplay. The big idiot op is basically finished playing. Looking forward to this falling of the front page.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I support house because he makes me think of when I play a map game campaign and some annoying adventurer or revolt appears out of nowhere after centuries of meticulous planning and everything fails.

i like stealing all his poo poo and then turning his feeble rear end into beef jerky. go ahead, post the katana guy in the tree.

edit: i'd definitely normally be down for a simulplay, but i 100%ed it about this time last year, so i think i'm officially burnt out on it for a while.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I sided with the Roman centurions because I'm a twisted psychopath.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of the major story points were left over from the original, cancelled Fallout 3. You can see most of new vegas' stuff laid out in the design doc for it

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

In Training posted:

what in the goddamn..

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

It’s cool to do this while playing as a woman because you’re single-handedly winning the war for them and they’re still telling you that you could serve the Empire better by getting knocked up by a real warrior or whatever.every time you talk to them

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

There's a good one with like eight luck or something where you guess 'ice cream' is the password for a security robot, but if you have 1 Intelligence, you can also just yell out 'ice cream'.

Lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FONV is the only good Bethesda fallout game and I wish it would get a sequel by the obsidian guys

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

I 'd never played any of the Fallout series before and I picked up Fallout New Vegas and all the DLCs for $9.99 during the last Steam sale. I've been playing it every night for the last 3 weeks and I absolutely love it. I finished 'Old World Blues' last night. Very cool.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
The dlc is all insanely good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'd love to have a full game of stuff like dead money, where you're dropped fresh into a new scenario and have to slowly build up your resources over time while solving environmental challenges

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I played finished lonesome road but didn’t like Dead Money I cant remember why.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

old world blues is the best one

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I played this on 360 and beat it but that was before all the DLC....... really need to pick it up again. It was so cool being able to actually kill anyone you wanted to. The "botched surgery" kill with the slaver boss was so loving bad rear end

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

goferchan posted:

I played this on 360 and beat it but that was before all the DLC....... really need to pick it up again. It was so cool being able to actually kill anyone you wanted to. The "botched surgery" kill with the slaver boss was so loving bad rear end

It's incredible how most game devs restrict players from killing plot important people because it will destroy their epic story but NV is one of the few games that bothers to ask "well, what if the players decide that person dies?" It's one of the few RPGs where I feel like my choices have consequence.

It's also incredible that Obsidian understands the possibilities of the engine better than Bethesda does, they have stuff like bandits set up ambushes and random encounters based around your actions like assassination attempts rather than pulled from a level scaled list.

If you haven't tried it before try cutting across from Primm to Novac through Primm Pass, it's the sort of thing that a Bethesda-made game would be too afraid to do

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

There’s a ton of really good mods out there too if you have the patience to tinker.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mojave Music Radio > Radio New Vegas. THoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI30wUwcUAY

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I want to play again, but I need mods and I'm too old and lazy to do that crap anymore...I gave up at mod organizer...

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

There's a couple mod packs that cover all you need basically. Just play Fallout game OK

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've played this game 1000 times and I don't want D_arkSephiroth 1997's mod pack that has realistic bramhin nipples included by defeault.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Plutonis posted:

The robo scorpions turned me off the game completely op. Still want to go back one day

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah old world blues was the first dlc i started and I completely stalled out in it. No companions, lose all your weapons, hours and hours of annoying dialogue, pain in the rear end enemies. Just not very interesting to me.

On the bright side, the others are all supposedly real good so I have new content to explore whenever I feel like going back to it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hit the roboscorpions with the ten thousand axes they give you, which shred them even with like 10 melee weapons skills

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
old world blues gives you a brand new special gun that talks to you with unique dialogue and then enough ammo to use it against two and a half enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The antennae you get absolutely destroys robots as well. There's also tons of ammo all over, I have like 500+ .357 bullets from containers and making my own ammo. None of this actually makes the gameplay of OWB fun but it makes it manageable

• Locked thread