Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The writing in it is really good.though, something that New Vegas excels at is environmental storytelling and Old World Blues has that in spades. Higgs Village is this quiet wistful spot where you see the humanity the Think Tank left behind but also see the grim artifice that made them leave it behind in the first place. The internment camp has tons of mattresses dragged around and stacked up from an escape attempt. I also like how you can basically trace the different paths of Christine, Elijah and Ulysses based on things they leave behind. Bethesda claims they make handcrafted worlds but New Vegas reveals how lazy they really are, there's just tons of little details everywhere that you'd never find in a Bethesda made game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah the writing is fine, but it’s not fun to play. Going from a giant open world to this tiny little area that you can’t leave sucks.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

sector_corrector posted:

hit the roboscorpions with the ten thousand axes they give you, which shred them even with like 10 melee weapons skills

I want to shoot the gun.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

tao of lmao posted:

Yeah the writing is fine, but it’s not fun to play. Going from a giant open world to this tiny little area that you can’t leave sucks.

Old World Poos.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I hated OWB in the beginning because I think I was under-leveled (right at the min. level to enter) and hadn't done any of the other DLC yet. I slogged through stuff early on, but it grew on me. I can't tell if it was Stockholm Syndrome or just the merits of the environmental storytelling doing it's work, but I ended up liking it. It's still not as good as Lonesome Road and Dead Money, though.

Also: the Sunset Sarsaparilla sidequest in the main game has an amazing payoff. A++ would play again.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked OWB well enough once I got into it but I still have an overall negative view of it just because the beginning, where you’re frozen in place so the think tank can screech the most god-awful attempts at humor at you for like half an hour straight, overshadows everything else in my mind.

Never played any of the other DLC though, I should give those a try soon

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I liked OWB well enough once I got into it but I still have an overall negative view of it just because the beginning, where you’re frozen in place so the think tank can screech the most god-awful attempts at humor at you for like half an hour straight, overshadows everything else in my mind.

Never played any of the other DLC though, I should give those a try soon

Honest Hearts is really good, it has a comfy setting where even the cazadores are big and slow and easy to shoot. It'll go by really fast if you don't take time to explore things though. Make sure you visit every cave

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ragg posted:

Old World Poos.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I haven’t played New Vegas at all but I have it on Steam. I played a few hours of 4 and it was pure rear end but this thread is making me want to check out NV.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The shooting is kinda cruddy compared to 4 but the story, quests, and ways you can complete them are pure Obsidian goodness. Easily my favorite of the series.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
despite the shooting being creation engine garbage, they do make up for it by having more than 4 guns, and also letting you do things like craft explosive / armor shredding ammo, so that gives the run n' gun stuff a little bit of depth

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I haven’t played New Vegas at all but I have it on Steam. I played a few hours of 4 and it was pure rear end but this thread is making me want to check out NV.

I'd recommend the jsawyer mod if you have the Ultimate Edition, it's by one of the devs of the game and it redoes the math so that enemies aren't all bullet sponges and everything is a little bit more lethal for everyone. Some people will insist you need 10,000 other mods to enjoy it but that's all I use and I love this game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just played on normal and i was okay with the combat just generally being pretty easy since it's not really about that. NV with fo4's shooting would be the dream

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've never finished a Fallout game but NV was the closest I've ever gotten.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ragg posted:

Old World Poos.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OWB is the weakest part of the game by far but it's still better than any Bethesda dlc

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the mobius guy was cool when you met him

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Old World Blues is much better than Honest Hearts, imo, but hell- it’s all good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The cool thing about new Vegas dlc is that everyone has their favourites and you’re all right. Except for noobs who think dead money sucks.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

If you dont just unload hundreds of bullets into each roboscorpion using the dog brain machine gun why are you even playing OWB

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The cool thing about new Vegas dlc is that everyone has their favourites and you’re all right. Except for noobs who think dead money sucks.

I played Dead Money for the first time on hardcore this playthrough and it's a legitimate accomplishment that Obsidian made a genuinely tense survival horror game in a Bethesda engine

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

If you dont just unload hundreds of bullets into each roboscorpion using the dog brain machine gun why are you even playing OWB

I once went to owb with 100s of extra .357 ammo with the express purpose to use that gun and still ran out after killing 3 scorpions.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Dead Money has a really good story and the end is so great plus the fact that you can do fun open-world game breaking stuff to completely undermine the theme and leave with a thousand gold bars lol

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
Dead Money is my favorite DLC. I really dig the small cast of characters and that each one of them is given a lot of focus. Also how different and tense it felt compared to the main game.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Old World Blues. It was way longer than I remember it being and there were too many enemies with strong armor and resistance to bullets so I would rate it lower than I would have before replaying it. If I play through New Vegas again I will probably skip it even though a lot of the things the doc provides mechanically like being able to make skill books, lots.of absurd stat increases and implants, and a home base where you can teleport to at any time and get healed are really good. I would even venture to say that the benefits are on the verge of cheating and interrupt the fiction of the game somewhat. A lot of the conversational humor hasn't aged well but the conceptual gags like the facility made to look like a scientist's highschool because he can't get over being bullied and the stealth suit that acts like your girlfriend are still pretty funny. That's all that can be said about Old World Blues.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I banned myself from using the hideout teleporter because I caught myself using it after every fight and I had like 30 stimpacks in my inventory

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
even at the end of the base game you're an overpowered murder machine, so idk, i just do all of the quests each time. i think that's better than trying to balance a single player open world game, tbh.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I liked the humor and pulpy sci fi feel in OWB and thought it was the best DLC gently caress you all

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I liked the humor and pulpy sci fi feel in OWB and thought it was the best DLC gently caress you all

Settle down, beavis.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think anyone said it was bad. It's just one of the weaker two of four good DLCs

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I replayed Dead Money and unfortunately I must say that I was wrong, and that the New Zealander rascal was right.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I replayed Dead Money and unfortunately I must say that I was wrong, and that the New Zealander rascal was right.

Yeah...right-tarded

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
This thread made me boot up New Vegas. I made a 10 Luck, 9 Charisma goober leaning on Barter, Speech, and Guns. This is going to rule.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I played Fallout New Vegas on PS3 a lot. I have several hundred hours in that and Fallout 3 put together

I have the Fallout 3 PS3 disc with all the DLC on it, but only the base game for New Vegas

I finally have a computer now that can run New Vegas so I tried to play the DLC. I did Old World Blues first and kept dying. I think I was too low level. So I gave up and haven't tried since. I guess I will give another DLC a shot. I wish Fallout would happen in irl life because I think my life would be more exciting

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I played Fallout New Vegas on PS3 a lot. I have several hundred hours in that and Fallout 3 put together

I have the Fallout 3 PS3 disc with all the DLC on it, but only the base game for New Vegas

I finally have a computer now that can run New Vegas so I tried to play the DLC. I did Old World Blues first and kept dying. I think I was too low level. So I gave up and haven't tried since. I guess I will give another DLC a shot. I wish Fallout would happen in irl life because I think my life would be more exciting

Cool story, Hansel.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Cool story, Hansel.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I finally have a computer now that can run New Vegas
drat...must have cost a pretty penny

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

drat...must have cost a pretty penny

i have an expensive recent gaming computer and new vegas still took a shitload of tinkering to get working at a good frame rate ;(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

One mod, maybe two fixes all those problems. Script extender that allows the game to use 4gb ram, and a general bug/stutter fix mod. Game runs butter smooth on my low end pc.

• Locked thread