Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SirFozzie posted:

Also, you may want to check out: http://warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/robomechs.html

$15 for 1 mech is expensive, but it may fill in some needs for you (I just wish some of them didn't need assembly). And you have to do a little figuring out of what name they're referencing)

Warhansa is extremely good and their MWO-derived sculpts are filling in for Newseen mechs that haven't yet gotten official sculpts based on Scroggins's art.

Horsebanger posted:

Where do I get that mat they are on?

From what I heard, those were given to the folks that volunteered during a past con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The Valkyrie is the metal version I'm told, released in limited quantities at GenCon. I assume it will reach general distribution soon. The Longbow is a standard sculpt, available now: it's not been reimagined yet.

The mat is pretty awesome: it's a gift to demo agents from a few years back, so it's not for sale I'm afraid.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I, in a spur of madness, had this ridiculous idea for a themed game at my large place that is perfect before I move into a much smaller apartment. Like with the new Godzilla movie coming out, Pacific Rim 2 being a shitshow... I was thinking of the Interstellar docking scene being the intel intro to a dice roll to find out just exactly what kaiju a squad of battle hardened tabletop Mechwarriors have to go up against. Motha, Gidorah, etc. - I wanna do something beyond belief since we are always up against standard issue Mechs, Clan or otherwise.

I wanna gently caress with my playerbase, I wanna screw with my playergroup. I don't even want them to show up to this game realizing they are going up against a Godzilla-esque monster. I want them to realize they all have to team up against a goddamn kaiju at the last possible moment. Do y'all think that'd be fun? Or even possible? I've been a longtime Battletech player, I'm thinking a Creed sort of fight against a goddamn titan they'd never encountered before. Whether it's triple lasers with Gidorah, or Mothra dropping LSD bombs, or Rodan dive-bombing a Shadowhawk, I would love to do something original on the huge table-space I have available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHI5xSi_WGA

BATTLEMASTER, GET UP

I wanna make it a Battletech match to remember.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Any news lately? Are the box sets still scheduled to be out soonish?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

As far as I've seen the new box sets are still on pre-order. Amazon says the beginner box is coming February 9th but Amazon always has placeholder release dates and I haven't seen any official announcement otherwise personally.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Catalyst announced that the Beginner Box and the game of armored combat should be out next week (the 23rd). Also announced a bunch of new 35th anniversary BTech gear, including Hoodies (If they make one goon-sized, I am DEFINITELY getting it).

https://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2019/01/16/preview-celebrate-milestone-anniversaries-for-battletech-and-shadowrun/

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SirFozzie posted:

Catalyst announced that the Beginner Box and the game of armored combat should be out next week (the 23rd). Also announced a bunch of new 35th anniversary BTech gear, including Hoodies (If they make one goon-sized, I am DEFINITELY getting it).

https://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2019/01/16/preview-celebrate-milestone-anniversaries-for-battletech-and-shadowrun/

I'm definitely going to be picking these up when they come out because I'm pretty sure they'll be out of print for a bit. I imagine a second printing will be just as delayed too. I know people love to bitch about Catalyst Game Labs but I really can't argue with a lot of criticism now. I'm not even that torn up about these sets being delayed but it seems like they miss every opportunity to bump themselves and Battletech up.

On a Battletech unrelated note, they're just trolling Shadowrun fans now. A lore book and a supplement for Anarchy, which I thought was DOA. Happy 30th!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Manufacturing, if done through China, can be a total shitshow if you don't have a fixer on the ground. They may have thought they could handle this on their own, but it sounds like they were having serious issues getting product made and delivered and that's ultimately beyond their direct control. Hence why you need a fixer.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The main cause for the delays were the lawsuit, which forced a redo of much of the box's contents, and Christmas, which between the shipping madness and then the eventual shutdown for the break wound up delaying everything for a month, AFAIK. But it's all appearing now, thankfully. I have one of each of the new sets, as well as a pre-release hardcopy of the new Battlemech Manual reprint with the new cover. It's all real and appearing.

The real question is what the print quantities are and how long they'll be available. I know for a fact they've planned to make it so that there won't be as long of a delay between printings, but there inevitably will be each time they sell out. The goal is to minimize the length of those gaps, but they won't be able to eliminate them altogether.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ah, I didn't realize there was another lawsuit and that caused issues.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, don't think that they aren't totally incompetent too

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ah, I didn't realize there was another lawsuit and that caused issues.

I'm referring to the last Harmony Gold one. We would have had the set a few months ago if they didn't need to scrap a bunch of their initial minis work and start creating replacements. They had to get new cover art (it was going to be the big Marauder that's now on the new BMM reprint) and other things as well.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 15, 2020

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Same question as many months ago: will there ever be a new Alpha Strike box?

Second question: why are you not playing Alpha Strike like all the time?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
No idea about a new AS box: all I can say for sure is that the old one is dead.

AS Commander's Edition is in a bit of limbo at the moment, I'm afraid.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Lord Frisk posted:

because I don't know anyone who plays IRL and megamek can't handle alpha strike so I never got into it enough to buy products for it, like I buy splatbooks and such like shattered fortress despite only being a megamek player :shobon:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord Frisk posted:

All boxes are Alpha Strike boxes since they come with the cards!

I think there are people on the catalyst forums doing unofficial work on new combat manuals but I'm not holding my breath for seeing another actual official AS book ever again, which sucks. It's hard enough to get rules for the "regular" game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'd love it if someone posted a timeline of the various lawsuits over the years and where they left different IP. I'm still not sure what the current status of the Unseen are.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Short answer is that everything is free and clear to use at last so long as you edit your art so that you've removed the most obvious resemblances.

This is why the new CGL Marauder, Warhammer et all look very very similar to the classic anime sources, but have clear differences as well. These images are being treated as "the way they always looked" in the canon. You will not see 100% accurate depictions of the "Unseen", but overall they're not Unseen any longer.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"
Picked up the beginner box this week at my LHS. Always admired the mini game from afar and enjoyed many of the video games over the years. Looking forward to getting into this. Admittedly my recent purchase of 3D printer and ability to print scenery might be fueling this fire. Regardless super stoked!

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Cool, welcome aboard.

Just so you know, the rules in the Beginner Box are deliberately a super stripped-down and abstracted version of the actual rules. So, if you play it and say to yourself, "this seems cool, but is a bit simplistic", know that the next box set up has the full, much more detailed mech rules (and construction rules, so you can build your own twinked out / hyper-specialized munch machines).

On the other hand, if you play it and say "my god, this is way too fiddly," then abandon ship right now.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Don't know whether to consider this good news or just to shake my head:

To Our Customers,

Catalyst Game Labs management is aware that copies of the BattleTech Beginner Box are running critically low both among our retail partners and on the company’s web store. Expecting this unprecedented demand, we have already taken aggressive action to restock this product.

A full reprint of the Beginner Box, of the same size as the initial order, has been completed overseas and is awaiting shipment during the first week of February.

In addition, the popularity of the BattleTech and Shadowrun anniversary apparel has caused many sizes of both the t-shirt and hoodie for both lines to sell out. A robust re-order has been placed, and all sizes of these items should be back in stock in the next few weeks.

We will follow-up with more details as they become available. Thank you for your patience.

It almost sounds like "We only had enough money to order X copies, so now we can reorder and print out the rest of what we expected"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I've played quite a few games, and honestly, the Beginner Box misses some of the more fun bullshit mechanics like heat. Look, if you're not loving exploding yourself for the sake of tabletop glory, you are loving playing Battletech wrong.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SirFozzie posted:

Don't know whether to consider this good news or just to shake my head:

It's good news. The Beginner Box wasn't (to the best of my knowledge, at least) a short run, it was a full print run of the typical 5,000 units.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is the beginning box using those free print-and-play rules they had available like 5 or 6 years ago? Those didn't use heat either and it was really hard to make people "get" what the game was actually like without a risk factor. "Why not just fire every gun every time?"

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yes, it's the Quick Start Rules, as they were called, only with improved formatting / layout / clarity.

And yeah, very good news. Selling out shows demand for the game at retailers, which means more BT in general on shelves, not to mention actually putting money in CGL's pocket to make more BT and to tell them that people still want BT.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Cool. I just got my shipments of the two box sets. Kinda interesting that the box sets are 3025 tech only (they do have construction rules). I'll be dammed if I can figure out how to put the punchout standees together (you think they'd put a "Hey, this is how it works" in there :P)

And of course, it made me get my TRO 3025 out to brainstorm orders of battle.

Like: "What would be the best layout for a 3025 mercenary force to disrupt an outlying world (no pitched battles, just hit and run and fade, and basically make an rear end out of themselves until they summon enough to make them go away, and then repeat on the next planet"

But the rule is you can only bring anything you can fit on one Union Dropship, and don't go overboard on stealing the best variant from every nation)

My thoughts: See if we can convert four mech bays into vehicle containers, for base security and extra storage.

Scout/Harasser Lance:
Cicada (2A)
Spider (5V)
Panther (9R)
Firestarter (FS9-H)

Command Lance
Enforcer (4R)
Trebuchet (5N)
Centurion (9-A)
Hunchback (4G)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Intro stuff has almost always been 3025 because I think outside of the Mad Cat, that's where all of the "iconic" mechs are in addition to the tech being easier to get your head around.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Like: "What would be the best layout for a 3025 mercenary force to disrupt an outlying world (no pitched battles, just hit and run and fade, and basically make an rear end out of themselves until they summon enough to make them go away, and then repeat on the next planet"

But the rule is you can only bring anything you can fit on one Union Dropship, and don't go overboard on stealing the best variant from every nation)

Harrass/hit and run profile? I'd be looking for two primary things: mobility (at least 5/8 and jumping) and being as ammo-independent as possible. Secondary priority would be weapons that would work best against soft targets - lots of machine guns and flamers. Probably want to avoid big autocannon/missile weapons due to ammo constraints; armor and range are also less of an issue since you should be dictating both position and length of engagement most of the time.

Lance 1: for mostly undefended convoys/depots/etc
Firestarter (-H)
Firestarter (-H)
Spider (-5V)
Stinger (-3R)

Lance 2: for slightly heavier targets (isolated combat units and the like)
Phoenix Hawk (-1)
Phoenix Hawk (-1)
Chameleon (-7V)
Vulcan (-5T)

Lance 3: the surprise in the back. Bombards tough fixed positions, drops Smoke & FASCAM rounds as needed. Partisans act as a trap/ambush for any air elements who pursue/investigate the force.
2x Sniper artillery pieces (I can't remember which are available in this era)
2x Partisan-AC2

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Pretty neat setup. Kinda wish we could do a Double Blind Let's Play, be kinda interesting to see what would happen. Goon on Goon Combat.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Pretty happy with the minis in the GOAC set.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, for those of you who don't follow Battletech fiction, I STRONGLY recommend reading Forever Faithful, Blaine Pardoe's latest novel which just released this week, which revisits some characters long thought dead, and the ending kinda says that the Wolves will find them surprised if/when they take Terra about them NOT being ilClan.

BIG SPOILERS BELOW

It revisits Trent, the "traitor" who gave the Inner Sphere the Exodus Road, the path that was taken in Task Force Serpent, and his nemesis Paul Moon, and how they together turned the remnants of the Smoke Jaguar into the Fidelis. The ending has the Fidelis landing on Terra, with Moon scattering Trent's ashes on Terra, and stating that they are the first clan to set foot on Terra, therefore when the Fidelis reemerge as Smoke Jaguar, they are ilClan.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

So, for those of you who don't follow Battletech fiction, I STRONGLY recommend reading Forever Faithful, Blaine Pardoe's latest novel which just released this week, which revisits some characters long thought dead, and the ending kinda says that the Wolves will find them surprised if/when they take Terra about them NOT being ilClan.

BIG SPOILERS BELOW

It revisits Trent, the "traitor" who gave the Inner Sphere the Exodus Road, the path that was taken in Task Force Serpent, and his nemesis Paul Moon, and how they together turned the remnants of the Smoke Jaguar into the Fidelis. The ending has the Fidelis landing on Terra, with Moon scattering Trent's ashes on Terra, and stating that they are the first clan to set foot on Terra, therefore when the Fidelis reemerge as Smoke Jaguar, they are ilClan.

Man if that's true then lmao, I actually kind of like it. I just assumed that Wolf would be the ilClan because of course, but if this sets up some weird tension/conflict with a Nu Com Guard fully reconstituted Clan Smoke Jaguar then that kinda rules.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I like it.

It also sets up some great conflict because there is absolutely no way the other Clans are going to accept that.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Yeah I certainly hope it means that Wolf doesn't end up being the ilClan, but I don't hold out hope for the Mary Sue clan Wolf to NOT be the ilClan, even if technically the Smoke Jaguars did it first

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Oh, it has an event even rarer then someone claiming ilClan.

It has Victor Steiner-Davion admitting he was very wrong about something/someone. And calling himself arrogant and oblivious.

For those of you who want to know what the epilogue was, I just copied it.

Epilogue OUTSIDE THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA TERRA WORD OF BLAKE PROTECTORATE 22 AUGUST 3078 As the drop hatch of the Stalwart opened, Paul Moon saw the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance. His Fidelis had drawn a special assignment, taking out a series of bridges along the Potomac to limit the Word of Blake’s response to the main landings. This was the kind of “special operations” assignment Devlin Stone had been giving them. He called his Fidelis “Stone’s Shadows,” and they fulfilled their promise with grim determination. Considered special forces, Stone’s Shadows were both feared and cursed in the Blakists’ mouths. Paul stepped down the gangway. “All units, remain aboard until I am done.” He reached the bottom of the gangway, but stopped short of standing on Terra. He opened his Elemental armor’s hatch and let the hot late-summer breeze of mankind’s homeworld hit him. Our people have waited long for this Great Redemption, as Inanna named it. Our chance to prove that we and we alone hold the true honor that the Clans claim to cherish so dearly. Moon pulled out a small metallic canister and opened it. “You were here first, my old comrade,” he said, spilling the contents onto the red clay of Terra. Trent’s ashes blew in the breeze across the dry grass. “You are the first of our people to touch Terra. This makes you the greatest of the Clan warriors and us the ilClan, regardless of what Devlin Stone and Prince Victor have been misled to think.” When the canister was empty, he tossed it into the distance. “We have remained faithful—and always will.” He closed his suit and activated the tactical channel again. “Fidelis—deploy!”

Pardoe, Blaine Lee. BattleTech: Forever Faithful . Catalyst Game Labs. Kindle Edition.

edit: also, It makes light of the theory that the Fidelis were Clan Wolverine. The Word of Blake Precentor who tried to threaten the Fidelis into joining their side on Blake's behest gets led away after being easily mousetrapped going "IF THEY'RE NOT THE WOLVERINES, WHAT ARE THEY?

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 28, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I thought Victor was dead?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
He is, in the current time frame.

This book covers the time after the Annihilation of the Smoke Jaguars, and what Moon and Trent were doing. The Epilogue above covers 3078. This part (and a couple parts where he is writing about this whole thing), comes from VSD writing the story of the conflicts he was involved with.

Epilogue Spoiler:

SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO TERRA REPUBLIC OF THE SPHERE 11 DECEMBER 3130 Victor Steiner-Davion looked at the words he had just typed, narrowing his eyes and squinting through his reading glasses. “‘Little did I know that my ignorant mistreatment of Trent would form the Fidelis…a unit integral to our success in winning the Jihad. The most formidable monsters we face in life are those we create. My own arrogance and obliviousness inadvertently forged a weapon I would need to wield later in life against the Word.’” It was the final paragraph of three pages discussing Trent and his role in excruciating detail, including all of the parts Paul Moon had told him. Paul told me I needed to honor him. This does that. Then, with a deliberate stab of his finger, Victor deleted the last pages, back up to the point where Trent was thought to have died fighting the Ice Hellions. They were gone—erased. He left in the battle results and Trent’s role in the Grand Refusal, how he had been critical to the Nova Cats’ victory. Gone was the material about the Fidelis. Deleted was the untold story of Stone’s Shadows, Wayside V, and the truth of how Trent had really died fighting the Goliath Scorpions. There was a sense of loss as he deleted the material he had spent so long documenting. The universe is not ready for the full truth…not yet. The Fidelis lived on New Earth in blissful isolation. They are a ticking time bomb. At some point they will reveal their origins.I have no idea how the Inner Sphere or the Clans will react to that. But I cannot be the instrument of that revelation. He saved the file, the deletions lost forever. Why do I feel like I just deleted a part of my soul? In the early morning hours, Victor settled back in his seat. I was wrong about you Trent…we all were. But me most of all.

Pardoe, Blaine Lee. BattleTech: Forever Faithful . Catalyst Game Labs. Kindle Edition.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
In the latest coming releases, it looks like House Arano is still firm on date, but two things I noticed.

https://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

One) Alpha Strike Commander's Edition looks to be back on the chart.
Two) They say all core books will be reprinted by August (I'm assuming GenCon release) (and conspicuously DON'T include A Time of War, the RPG book)

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yeah, AS Commander's is back under active work, close to done even.

Odd that AToW isn't listed, because it's definitely being worked on like the rest. But just finalized the TechManual reprint last night, TO and SO are still a work in progress, the new TW reprint has already sold out and another (identical except for the 35 year notation being added to the cover) reprint is coming right up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh wow they're going to finally be doing print on demand products. I thought they were too stodgy to do anything that wasn't a proper print run or PDF-only.