Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

raverrn posted:

Ooh, Republic pics are where?

Just that dropship earlier and this profile guy right here.

Since he's got RAF symbols on and nothing else I'm assuming this isn't a turncoat working for the Clan League. Between this and the warship pic, I'm guessing we're going to see a bunch of ex-RAFs try to steal a warship and flee Terra to set up their own statelet/merc unit somewhere, giving the Wolves ulcers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Endman posted:

All this weird theorycrafting makes me glad it's still 3025 and none of that actually happened

:jerkbag:

Battletech is good, actually

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

General Battuta posted:

:jerkbag:

Battletech is good, actually

Unironically one of my favorite aspects to BT is that you can play any era forever if you feel like, or have your play group completely change events into a new canon for your players. Plus that the setting has so many "what if" points to go from, especially with the newer ilClan era books.

I didn't care for how the Republic vs Wolf/JF poo poo happened in HOTW so now I have scenarios for my group to fight to save the Republic and now it's 3152 and there's still no ilClan for my campaign

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Holybat posted:

Unironically one of my favorite aspects to BT is that you can play any era forever if you feel like, or have your play group completely change events into a new canon for your players. Plus that the setting has so many "what if" points to go from, especially with the newer ilClan era books.

I didn't care for how the Republic vs Wolf/JF poo poo happened in HOTW so now I have scenarios for my group to fight to save the Republic and now it's 3152 and there's still no ilClan for my campaign

I'm tempted when I finish my next Shrapnel submission to write an AU book like Empires Aflame but with the Republic victorious. Couple other folks on the Sarna/CGL discord who have already been making maps for such a scenario. Would be cool.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I'm tempted when I finish my next Shrapnel submission to write an AU book like Empires Aflame but with the Republic victorious. Couple other folks on the Sarna/CGL discord who have already been making maps for such a scenario. Would be cool.

I'd definitely like to see it. :shobon:

Hell now I'm thinking I need to get off my rear end and do the same thing, get my campaign notes and start writing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want to see someone who is an early Age of War grognard. "Battlemechs? Seems silly to me. I play a 2410 era game with a Terran Hegemony tank platoon."

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

I enjoy playing 1987s era battletech with the M-BT 2nd edition from GMT.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Owlbear Camus posted:

I want to see someone who is an early Age of War grognard. "Battlemechs? Seems silly to me. I play a 2410 era game with a Terran Hegemony tank platoon."

I play 2nd Donegal Guards so that (and anything else from 2128 and on) is on the table for me. I'd have to replace any LCAF decals though so I've never done it.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

There's a new humble bundle out. 70 books/shrapnel issues/short fiction compilations plus last year's bundle as a single item.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Canned Bovines posted:

There's a new humble bundle out. 70 books/shrapnel issues/short fiction compilations plus last year's bundle as a single item.

Yeah, $30 for 130 total books is wild. Didn't even think twice about mashing that buy button.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GD_American posted:

I meant for buying game books.

Oh, fair. I've considered doing that already. If I've got a nice fat wallet from selling this stuff, it can become reality. Might pick up some good side items that way too.

My basic shopping list is "one of every force pack I don't have, plus two of every premium mech" and then "a bunch of extra hex foam for my carriers". Sadly, moving to Saint Louis means I can't do preorders, but I'll have to deal.

Speaking of which, does anybody know the state of battletech in Saint Louis?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

NinjaDebugger posted:

Speaking of which, does anybody know the state of battletech in Saint Louis?

missouri I think

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I saw this and thought of this thread.

Holybat posted:

I'd definitely like to see it. :shobon:

Hell now I'm thinking I need to get off my rear end and do the same thing, get my campaign notes and start writing

Sent you a PM.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
Posting Mechs:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
https://www.goonhammer.com/battletech-mech-overview-banshee/

:getin:

Edit: that's what I get for doing it on mobile

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 13, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If it's good enough for Ludwig Steiner (Grand Duke of Furillo, Duke of Porrima, Duke-in-Exile of Tamar and Skye, Margrave of Buena, Hero of the Realm, Conqueror of Valloire, Liberator of Bolan) it's good enough for you.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
i can't see this website!!!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
https://www.goonhammer.com/battletech-mech-overview-banshee/ (drop the extra stuff he added to the URL)

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah, $30 for 130 total books is wild. Didn't even think twice about mashing that buy button.

I also just bought this, but have never read BattleTech fiction before.

Any good advice on where to start?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Gray death Legion trilogy

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

oh that was the problem.

Amen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Star with Decision at Thunder Rift. There's a reading order at the back of that book. Follow that.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Remember, it's all horrible garbage, but some of it is entertaining horrible garbage

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://x.com/BobJustfkinBob/status/1691829714380304427

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Seconding Gray Death Legion trilogy. It's a good introduction to the setting/lore as a whole and while it's not amazing literature or anything it's enjoyable enough and a pretty easy read.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Disclaimer that I'm just starting my fiction journey too, but the folks in the CGL discord suggest starting with Fox Tales. It's new, better written, starts pretty small scale and works up to pretty big scale all within one book.

After that you can move on to ~30 year old books :)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh, it's good but it's nowhere near as weird as the GDL trilogy. There's kind of been a move away from fighting on planets that aren't just Earth in the fiction, and the GDL has a lot of odd day durations, gravity changes, and the like. Plus Fox Tales is pretty late in the timeline too. It's also written a bit like a YA novel where teenagers just fall into mechs and win with them.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Thanks for the advice everyone!

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

My first BT game today after owning the AGOAC for years.
It's alpha strike but still excited.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Man, I'm tempted to make a new version of this meme, but I'm honestly pleased by any BT novel I get to read. I guess I'm just easy to entertain.

Definitely like Randall Bills and Michael Ciarviella the most right now. Mike even will let people message him on facebook. I even like Bryan Young when he's not doing Fox Tales. His Question stuff has been great.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Man, I'm tempted to make a new version of this meme, but I'm honestly pleased by any BT novel I get to read. I guess I'm just easy to entertain.

Definitely like Randall Bills and Michael Ciarviella the most right now. Mike even will let people message him on facebook. I even like Bryan Young when he's not doing Fox Tales. His Question stuff has been great.

I think the current group they have writing for them now is about the best they've ever had. I haven't read anything put out in the last 4 years that I've disliked* and Shrapnel is consistently cool and good. I like that they've really diversified the perspectives in the novels, they feel more focused and localized rather than just following a single grand narrative. It makes the setting feel a lot more expansive that way, and also throws each faction more of a bone.

*I have not and probably will not read the Hour of the Wolf

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Had my first BT game after oeming AGOAC for 2 years now.
It was a quick 120 point Alpha Strike game and the first AS for both of us. We thought AS was the kiddie game but after a few turns we realized the fun we were having was not fake.
We had a really good time and it felt like BT.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

haddedam posted:

Had my first BT game after oeming AGOAC for 2 years now.
It was a quick 120 point Alpha Strike game and the first AS for both of us. We thought AS was the kiddie game but after a few turns we realized the fun we were having was not fake.
We had a really good time and it felt like BT.

If you want to play a giant game with a company per side and don't have all weekend or more, alpha strike is very much the way to do it. I am a big fan, and generally prefer it to classic.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Are there any content creators doing Alpha Strike content that isn't either "how to play" or battle reports?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Signal posted:

Are there any content creators doing Alpha Strike content that isn't either "how to play" or battle reports?

There's this guy with his own campaign in the Hinterlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGcDuZX_Drs

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

There's this guy with his own campaign in the Hinterlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGcDuZX_Drs

I love this guy - animated weapons fire, lush scenery, big mess of mech combat.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How many mechs end up being exact duplicates under Alpha Strike rules? (maybe there's a giant database of alpha strike units somewhere that can answer this exactly?)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

General Battuta posted:

How many mechs end up being exact duplicates under Alpha Strike rules? (maybe there's a giant database of alpha strike units somewhere that can answer this exactly?)

Every mech in the MUL has an Alpha Strike card. It would be a massive undertaking to filter through trying to find mechs that are exactly the same, and there probably are plenty of examples if you want to go hunting, but there are enough elements on any given AS card that you could usually find at least one key word or special ability that was different between two otherwise identical mechs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Well it shouldn't be THAT massive with proper database tools :colbert: but I understand the entire MUL is probably not available in Stata or Python or whatever they're using these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

The MUL isn't exactly stable and goes offline a lot. There's probably something out there - I know of a github page for looking up alpha strike cards and tracking heat/damage on them and I doubt whoever made it copied everything down by hand.