Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

General Battuta posted:

How many mechs end up being exact duplicates under Alpha Strike rules? (maybe there's a giant database of alpha strike units somewhere that can answer this exactly?)

The fact that this can happen versus the only dozen or so examples seen in the all-time thousands of detailed BT variants pretty much explains why you'll never catch me playing Alhpa Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

If a courier brings your new clan star with brown and grey paints, does that mean you just received beta mail?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The fact that this can happen versus the only dozen or so examples seen in the all-time thousands of detailed BT variants pretty much explains why you'll never catch me playing Alhpa Strike.

I, personally, think that you are silly for this

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

There's plenty of stats for no two mechs to be same for AS.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I've yet to find an example of identical 'Mechs in Alpha Strike.

The Havok is very much "the FWL stole the Jenner's homework" the BattleMech and it's got different Alpha Strike stats than the Jenner.

Alpha Strike is fine, it's more of a wargame than a simulation so it has its niche even if you don't enjoy it. It's easy enough to think of Alpha Strike as "the game Mechwarriors play in universe to learn battlefield tactics."

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I find rolling multiple sets of dice for damage in AS gives me the perfect BT feel with still having a fast moving game that I can finish in an hour or two. Plus I love the lance and command abilities.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've yet to find an example of identical 'Mechs in Alpha Strike.

Two rather different 'Mechs in BT despite the same 50 tonnage. The former is a decent skirmisher suited for extended operations, while the latter is an unCASE'd eggshell with a (headcapping!) hammer. (PV also sucks like BV as you can tell up there, but that's a different argument for another day)
"We handwaved the myriad weapons of BattleTech into range brackets, but oh you still have to remember special properties and what they do anyways." Perfect way to destroy diversity without reducing the complexity of the game.

quote:

Alpha Strike is fine, it's more of a wargame than a simulation so it has its niche even if you don't enjoy it.
When the wargame completely twists the general effect many variants have on the field into something completely different, it's not a BattleTech wargame.

quote:

It's easy enough to think of Alpha Strike as "the game Mechwarriors play in universe to learn battlefield tactics."
It's not, and I'd thank you not to insert your headcanon into something and pass it off as general practice IRL. BattleForce-sized engagements aren't even very representative of the majority of eras in Catalyst's division of IS history.

Edit: (headcapping!)

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 16, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

It plays fast and feels like BT, plus it's great for introducing people into the game without them being reported missing by their families.

Battletech really needs something between BT rules and alpha strike.
I've found you can save tons of time by having the victim allocate damage to their mech themselves according to the angle with 12 being a headshot, if head is visible.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ignoring the relatively insignificant difference between ECM and Angel ECM, those two 'Mechs you posted are similar but can't be used interchangeably. The Crab's a C3I machine, while the Centurion's running a boosted C3 slave. They don't fit into the same lance comps unless you're ignoring C3 entirely, and if you're ignoring C3 you'll probably run a machine that isn't paying the extra PV for C3 equipment.

It's not, and I'd thank you not to insert your headcanon into something and pass it off as general practice IRL.

I didn't pass anything off as general practice, so I'm not sure where this hostility came from. It's totally ok if you don't like Alpha Strike. I personally think it could use a bit more crunch, like adoping Mechwarrior Destiny's weapon groups (and damage scaling) to make armaments feel more meaningful. There's at least one house ruleset that does this, but with as poorly supported as MW:D has been it's harder to get 'Mechs converted over.

As an easy game to play with children, new players, or at conventions or other occasions where you're short on time and can't fit in a full game of BattleTech? As a game that will still teach the fundamentals of decent positioning, fire arc and heat management, and line of sight? I do feel Alpha Strike is perfectly servicable and a genuinely good way to onboard new players without overwhelming them. The 'Mech stats are pretty much 1:1 the o.g. BattleForce stats, which themselves are basically the BattleSpace capital scale abstraction (10 damage = 1 capital scale damage) applied to 'Mech scale combat. I never liked BattleSpace so I really do understand why the abstraction would turn you off. Once you've played actual BattleTech, it's hard to scale that back.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

haddedam posted:

Battletech really needs something between BT rules and alpha strike.

Battletech: Override is probably worth taking a look at if you don't mind "unofficial" but IMO pretty well-polished rules. Helps that they are mostly just adapting a lot of Destiny's streamlining of mech combat.

https://firebasestorage.googleapis....60-365b3a57a910

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Those rules swem pretty interesting, thanks!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Wasp and Stinger are closer to identical in full on BattleTech than that Centurion and Crab are in Alpha Strike. It's okay to not like Alpha Strike, you don't have to make up reasons.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I might need to try out that DFA fan ruleset. Alpha strike is a little light on granularity, but there's no way my friends will play classic with me, it's 80s simulationism is directly at odds with their gaming philosophy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I think the only really respectable characters in ideal war are chick and his Merc band that run away. Everyone is terrible

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Regulus was right about everything and we could have saved a lot of lives by listening to them.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Defiance Industries posted:

Regulus was right about everything and we could have saved a lot of lives by listening to them.
Are you sure you're not secretly backing them so that they continue to weigh down the FWL? :tinfoil:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I missed putting a few books on my Kindle oops, guess I'll start bred for war and go back for drt and the like.

The wobbies are awful, awful people. Thomas marik and masters seem kind of like idiots.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are you sure you're not secretly backing them so that they continue to weigh down the FWL? :tinfoil:

I'm not "secretly" doing poo poo, it's open information that the LC put Regulus on the export whitelist as soon as the League broke up. We've been selling those guys guns for eighty years now. In exchange we imported the Ogre from them, because even though it's kind of a mess how do you not love that thing?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ilmucche posted:

I think the only really respectable characters in ideal war are chick and his Merc band that run away. Everyone is terrible
Dangit, somehow I missed Ideal War. Guess I'm going back to it. I need to catch up on my mini reviews too. There have been some questionable books of late.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Good news for those who don't have anyone to play with? Today's news stream had some early stuff from Ray Arrastia about what they want Aces to look like. They're hoping to develop it alongside the Mechcommander's Handbook so that the two work well together and have Aces in some sort of force pack like product that contains a miniature campaign which can either lead into the Handbook stuff or be used to expand on it. Nothing's set in stone, development on it is starting Soon(tm). Also they've started trying to put together an Aces like thing for standard Battletech and not just Alpha Strike. Which I hope works, but, uh, good luck with that.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

What is aces, exactly? It's the "AI" control for opposition forces, right?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Signal posted:

What is aces, exactly? It's the "AI" control for opposition forces, right?

Yeah it is. As someone who got a lot of mileage out of xwing miniatures game with Heroes of the Aturi Cluster I'm looking forward to seeing the completed Alpha Strike equivalent.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Couldve used aces years ago, now i've started playing with locals.

I've even thought of desiging my own card based AI inspired by some board game AIs

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I recently bought that Humble Bundle with all the Battletech fiction. I just want to confirm what I seem to be hearing, that the Grey Death Legion trilogy is a decent, if YA-ish starting point?

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, the original GDL trilogy is three of the first four books and I'm pretty sure no one recommends reading the non-GDL one in there. They're one of the very few times the fiction feels like it's set on another planet and not somewhere in North America and probably the most representative of the very early "Mechs are priceless heirlooms and a handful of them can conquer a planet" setting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

People on the ground losing their mind at the prospect of a single wasp/locust being in the area is something that feels like it gets glossed over later

Edit: okay how many freaking body double replacement plots are there in this series? Pretty sure the one I've just come across is the third one they've talked about

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Canned Bovines posted:

Also they've started trying to put together an Aces like thing for standard Battletech and not just Alpha Strike. Which I hope works, but, uh, good luck with that.

I haven’t seen the Aces cards but I feel like they need to do the opposite of what would seem like the most logical option (ie. BT is more complex -> make Aces more complex). If they do Aces for BattleTech, I think it probably should be even simpler? Meaning give the AI mechs as simple and general instructions as possible so they don’t get bogged down in the detail and leverage the skills of the player. Like ”stay in long-range weapons range, stay in cover, avoid overheating” etc. Experienced players will know what to do.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

At the end of the day game AI is reliant on player honesty.
"Hide in nearest hard cover and attack the most damaged mech in range"
Would be good enough for me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Or they could use broad AI archetypes for different mechwarriors or forces.

One of my favorite miniature game rulesets is Five Parsecs from Home. Think Mass Effect or The Expanse as a RPG-lite roguelite miniatures game. It features random battles with AI enemies, dozens and dozens of different enemy types and I think half a dozen AI patterns that are used for the different enemies. For example, a horde of slavering alien horrors might use the ”beast” AI (always approach and try to enter melee combat if possible, but stay in cover if possible) and a team of mysterious agents might have the ”cautious” AI (always try to have LOS but stay in cover, do not approach beyond the center line etc.)

That sort of thing could work for BT as well.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
I've been playing Alpha Strike with Brym's Opfor, which is similar to Aces but not official. I use an 8d instead of the printed cards mode and its great for fast Alpha Strike games.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If anyone is interested in the novels, humble has a big pack for sale

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/battletech-fiction-collection-catalyst-game-labs-books

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Idunno why but my GATOR token and heat marker set keeps being taken down.
This 3d printable set features tracking tokens for movement (shield icon) and target (crosshairs icon) as well as a glorified paperclip with a hole in it that slides up and down the sheet to track your heat.

Since I lost harddrive I remade it all from scratch. Link is here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6584157

I am have also just finished my mech storage capsules.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Had a little chuckle at the passage in bred for war where a character rips on an author who writes books about the fourth succession war with terrible characters and battle scenes

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Went to midwest game fest this weekend, and while I was there, I got an email that my massive battletech order (1 of every force pack and two alpha strike boxes to gift) had come in, so I said gently caress it and stopped in today on the way back from the con.

Literally today, somebody sold him a bunch of minis they got from an opened up storage shed, and among them were 49 original ral partha pre-retreat battlemechs, plus a few plastics he threw in for free. $6 a pop. They're slathered in lovely white primer, but that's between the mechs and LA's Totally Awesome.

edit: Have some photos. OPen in a new tab for full full size. I cannot identify some of these mechs.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 21, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dang, nice find.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

NinjaDebugger posted:

Have some photos. OPen in a new tab for full full size. I cannot identify some of these mechs.

Left to right, top to bottom:
Hermes II, Wasp, Wolverine, Ostscout
Jenner, Ostscout, Centurion, Jenner, Jenner, Hermes II, Panther

All of the Jenners are broken.

Ostscout (half off-screen), Trebuchet, Commando, Assassin, Guillotine, Quickdraw
Panther (partly off-screen), Stinger, Wasp, Ostroc, Grasshopper, unable to ID

Rotated 90 degrees:
Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon
Zeus, Zeus, Dragon, Dragon
Cyclops, Cyclops, Cyclops

Rotated 90 degrees:
Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Dervish, Dervish
Griffin, BattleMaster, Wolverine, Wolverine
Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, Crusader, Crusader
Awesome, Awesome, Charger, Archer

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ostscout (half off-screen), Trebuchet, Commando, Assassin, Guillotine, Quickdraw

I think the last one on the bottom is a Valkyrie

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup, that's the old Ral Partha Valkyrie. Good call.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Technowolf posted:

I think the last one on the bottom is a Valkyrie

Yeah, that's a Valk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Left to right, top to bottom:
Hermes II, Wasp, Wolverine, Ostscout
Jenner, Ostscout, Centurion, Jenner, Jenner, Hermes II, Panther

All of the Jenners are broken.

Rotated 90 degrees:
Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon
Zeus, Zeus, Dragon, Dragon
Cyclops, Cyclops, Cyclops

Rotated 90 degrees:
Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Dervish, Dervish
Griffin, BattleMaster, Wolverine, Wolverine
Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, Crusader, Crusader
Awesome, Awesome, Charger, Archer

Goddamn, that's impressive through my crappy photos. The jenners are going to get some kitbashing, and I May have to replace guns/missiles on some stuff, but I'm gonna have some fun with them.