Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Len posted:

Where would I start if I wanted to know more about the backstory of this game?

CGL has some free documents on their website, one is a primer.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/free-downloads/products/battletech-primer

Here's a link to all their free stuff.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/free-downloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I got one too many Ice Ferrets if someone wants to trade for something, preferably another Clan unit.

Edit: ^ Wasp and Stingers I think, then followed by Locust? Not really sure what's third place.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

The Locust is the most common mech in existence, with hundreds of thousands of them having been built. The Stinger is #2, with 200,000 of them constructed just during the Star League period. There's also a shitload of Wasps; the design's so old it was the test bed for jump jets.

I thought that was the Wasp, from Sarna -

"Even after the sheer destruction of the Succession Wars, the Wasp still remained the most numerous 'Mech ahead of the Locust and Stinger;..."

Case of conflicting/outdated lore or is just how it's phrased? The LCT page says a line about being one of the most common, but not where it ranks.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Hmm, sounds like the entry on the Wasp is wrong and needs to be fixed then. At no point do any of my books suggest that the Wasp is more common than the other two bug mechs, in fact 3025 makes a point that the Wasp lost a big contract to the Stinger.

Oh cool. I have a 1990-ish print of the TRO: 3025, I'll take a look at that tonight as well.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

This is why my first thought was "Conflicting/outdated lore..."

It's a mess and always has been. Wiseman has strait up said "I pulled those numbers out of my rear end" before.

Given they had to name and write lore about the entire Inner Sphere at some point, it's going to be a spaghetti ball of contradictions.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Exact numbers aside, my 1994 copy of TRO:3025 doesn't actually say anything about ranking the most produced bug light. Just that they're all very common survivors and were made in large numbers. Wonder where those specific claims about most and second most produced designs originated. Maybe the updated 3025 or possibly the SL era TRO?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

It's really the perfect hand wave. They lucked out early on by writing things in-universe. Now they can just say "propaganda or bad information" anytime they mess up or want to clear up an older publication's "facts."

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

The nose can bend downward so the pilot can see targets when firing from a elevated position.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Someone got that image of the Thunder 'Mech with the AC/20 ammo layout? I can't seem to find it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Within the context of my local MM group that plays fixed BV, up to FCCW tech - What I found makes you a really strong player is picking only 3025/3050 era IS units vs the 3060-70 era stuff. It really maximizes your need to pick exactly the right set of units to work together and be survivable on their own. Then you have to use them to adapt of whatever the opponent brings. Always bring one ECM just in case. Win or lose, you can still say you fought them with outdated units. Downside is your picks are limited to the units that care to mount near max armor and are sinked reasonably. You won't be fast, but you'll be resilient. I've found not having to budget for a lot of the fancy tech allows you to out-tonnage or outnumber your opponents.

As for C3 usage, don't just send the one scout unit forward. It will become the defacto only target. Present a couple bad targets together to spread the armor around. That Bishamon with the C3 Master is hilarious. It's so fast, you can move your network hub around the ECM blockages. It can be the squirrel you distract the opponent with. If you do get hit it's still a quad, so you can usually get away.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 2, 2024

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Strobe posted:

Oh, yeah, I was thinking the "40 years" meant you were talking all-time.

Amechwarrior has a bullseye on it: it's not a weapon in 3025, it's the concept of a mech with max armor that don't cripple themselves with heat. Avoid big batteries of LRMs, AC/2s and usually AC/5s and otherwise any combination of SRMs, lasers, PPCs, and AC/10s and 20s will be efficient. There literally is not enough of an efficiency gap to worry about it outside of being a well armored and functional unit.

One other thing - You also have to check for ammo bombs like the side torsos on the MAD and HBK with nothing but ammo in them. That can ruin otherwise very strong candidates. Oddly, CT ammo isn't quite as bad as an ammo bomb side torso.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Does anyone house-rule LB-X clusters? From my perspective the utility of the Giant Mech Shotguns was always limited by the fact that I would have to roll an unreasonable amount of dice on any successful hit, and I am very, very lazy.

I've seen people that have those clear plastic organizers for stuff like screws or fishing tackle. They put 20 pairs of mini 2d6 and just shake the entire box. Just read out from 1 to whatever number you need for any cluster attacks.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I need this immediately

An armless chicken with a dorsal gun? How do I fund this design rtfn

Reminds me of the old MWO WoL squad Black Baza who kept taking K2s with Gauss in the side torsos and left the arms unarmored. I even made them a logo with the armless K2 on it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Perfect, keep these coming. Maybe mashup the Jade Phoenix and Phoenix Hawk into a Phoenix Phoenix. If there's anything else with Phoenix in it, toss that on as well.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

biosterous posted:

goddammit i spent a bunch of time to just remake the shrike
This was the correct decision. Could you do one with everything with the word Cat in it? A Mad Shadow Nova Catapultaphract MkII 3!

Mad Cat (and sequels), Shadow Cat, Nova Cat, Catapult, Cataphract, etc.

Edit: Also - Bakeneko, Hellcat, Temax Cat Ninjabolt,

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I did something like

Hatchetman + Enforcer
Trebuchet + Centurion
3/4 pilots, might make the HTC 3/3 if the new player chooses that team.

One team is jump mobile and has the hatchet to suggest melee play, the other team works together to support each other. I let the new players pick which team they want. I think I also had one with a HBK-4G, but it's swingy. If they keep missing the big gun it's a disappointment.