Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Weren't they doing Alpha Strike models at a different scale at one point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bedlamdan posted:

It worked out magnificently for WoD

I think he means the rights to make an adaptation of the pen-and-paper game so that there'd be a Battletech game that played like Crusader Kings.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Taintrunner posted:

My group right now is struggling with everyone bringing Assaults to every match for a few months now, I wonder if anyone has a good idea for mitigating that.

Weight limit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Or a combination if you really want to prevent people from being able to squeeze a cheap heavy or assault into what would otherwise be a light lance.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are the new boxsets going to make it out in time for Christmas?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Manufacturing, if done through China, can be a total shitshow if you don't have a fixer on the ground. They may have thought they could handle this on their own, but it sounds like they were having serious issues getting product made and delivered and that's ultimately beyond their direct control. Hence why you need a fixer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ah, I didn't realize there was another lawsuit and that caused issues.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'd love it if someone posted a timeline of the various lawsuits over the years and where they left different IP. I'm still not sure what the current status of the Unseen are.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is the beginning box using those free print-and-play rules they had available like 5 or 6 years ago? Those didn't use heat either and it was really hard to make people "get" what the game was actually like without a risk factor. "Why not just fire every gun every time?"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Intro stuff has almost always been 3025 because I think outside of the Mad Cat, that's where all of the "iconic" mechs are in addition to the tech being easier to get your head around.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Those card maps in the 25th box spoiled me. I don't think I can go back to paper.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I still don't really get what is happening. How do you confirm a headshot? Why are you gaming with an rear end in a top hat who can interfere in your game from a table away?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"No gaming is better than bad gaming" has never steered me wrong.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I can see a club appointing someone with extensive knowledge of the rules being appointed as the adjudicator in the case of disputes between players or clarifying how something is supposed to work. I don't think I'd appreciate some rear end in a top hat sticking his head into my game and half-assedly applying a home rule when it was least convenient for me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pussy Cartel posted:

Well we still don't have the House Arano sourcebook, but we do have some other Battletech news:

https://bg.battletech.com/news/battletech-clan-invasion-kickstarter-coming-july-17/

This is super cool and depending on cost I'm all in.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ugh my FLGS won't back unless three other people join me and I do not want to deal with shipping and import duties myself.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mugaaz posted:

You can't get 3 people to join you? Does you FLGS have a FB page or similar you can reach out to find if anyone is interested?

Strobe posted:

If you're in the EU or Canada it looks like this is fulfilling from centers in those areas.

If you're in Oz, sorry. :v:

Bangkok. And yeah getting people interested in Battletech is loving tough. I'm spamming social media so we'll see.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My introduction to Battletech was the original MechWarrior and the first mech in that you can pilot is a Jenner. That makes the Jenner a Davion mech in my humble opinion. :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If you've only ever played 40k, it's going to make you think you need to do a lot more rolling than you need to. I can't speak to Alpha Strike, but in Battletech proper, there's only ever one roll to determine if an action is successful. Once that's established, it's a question of determining where the hit was. Defense is in movement and positioning and how the guts of the mech are designed.

Also, actions are resolved simultaneously so it's possible to blow a mech to pieces in the same turn that it makes you eat poo poo. It's quite refreshing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

EDIT: in standard Alpha Strike with no optional rules it's literally just "roll to hit, do damage" because each unit has a pool of health.

Nothing wrong with this. I would hope that there'd be some things like as it takes damage it suffers penalties to at least recreate the simulator feel of CBT? I do like that you can neutralize specific threats in CBT, but it's definitely fiddly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Rocket tag refers to any matchup where the first to land a hit wins. IS mechs either have enough armor or their weapons don't do enough damage that getting blasted isn't game over. Clan mechs are a combination of lightly armored and heavily armed meaning that who tags the other wins.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BULBASAUR posted:

Ok, thanks. Are clans just unable to add armor and swap out weapons on their mechs? Dumb questions I know, but I've only played the digital games where building is a big mechanic.

It's mostly that the guns you can slap onto clan mechs are just the most powerful in the game and they have the heat management to handle it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't think I've ever attempted CBT with more than 4 mechs per side.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That kind of detail can be really fun when you're running games as part of a long-running campaign, especially if you pair it with the RPG (or a better RPG, honestly) and make every hit location and credit's worth of damage actually matter.

If you just want to play games, I'd do Alpha Strike all day.

This is probably a dumb question but something I've never really been clear on. Does the RPG have mech combat in it at all or is it really just a life simulator for the pilot? Like is it just a set of rules for wandering around a city as a person with a vibroblade and a gun and then if you get into a mech they expect you to play CBT?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There's a really bad conversion of mech combat rules to the RPG system in an appendix but they honestly expect you to switch game systems when you get in the robot

That's really really dumb.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It has a very cool life path character generation which was actually really fantastic for its time.

Might be worth importing over to a better system. I picked up Traveller for a similar reason. Still haven't had a chance to play that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I would love it if they captured Terra but nothing else and they just got to pretend like they had a Star League.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Urbanmech level is what finally defeated me in The Crescent Hawk's Revenge. God that game was loving tough, but a level where you're just in Urbanmechs? No loving thank you. The scenario designers were masochists.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nystral posted:

I was like 9 or 10 when I got a boxed set of the two CH games and MechWarrior. One was like an RPG with action-like elements and the city gets destroyed, one was more like TT BT and I couldn’t get past the first few stages, and then the last was MechWarrior.

I never knew there was an actual storyline for MechWarrior for years, I just thought it was cool do merc job game.

I had that exact same box set!

The absolute best thing in there was the manual. It was a combined manual for all three games and had all the tech readouts for the relevant mechs present. I poured over that book for hours upon hours. I lent it to a friend who was into Battletech. but then I moved and never saw it again. It was heartbreaking just because of what a cool video game manual it was, but it especially sucked because The Crescent Hawk's Inception (the RPG) had one of those old fashioned anti-piracy features where you needed information from a specific page in the manual (which was semi-randomized each time you got to that point in the game) and so it made it tough to advance if you didn't have the internet.

Inception I put the least amount of time into because it was the most old school in design. Your little dude ran around this massive map and there were mechs stomping around that could basically one shot you. If you were lucky, you'd have a rocket launcher and be able to kill the pilot and steal the mech and then you'd go hunting for bigger mechs and repeat. It was stupidly difficult.

Revenge was the one that was closest to the tabletop experience, but as I said it was designed by masochists. The first thing you do is pick the mechs you want your team to be in, and they were a pretty good selection including a Griffin. But then you enter the first scenario and they give you a busted Jenner while all your mechs are trapped in a dropship in a lake. The game also had different possible outcomes depending on how you did in each scenario, so you could get railroaded from the first mission to being totally hosed. Apparently the Clans show up at some point, but as I said, I got stuck on the Urbanmech level.

Mechwarrior was a blast. I played the hell out of that. I knew there was a plot, but I could never figure out which planets I was supposed to go to or what the correct responses were to the prompts. It was very easy to get lost or stop receiving clues. But stomping around being the baddest mercenary group was fun on its own.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I did a move a few years back and lost a single piece of a mech somewhere. According to the Iron Wind website, it was going to cost me $15 for the piece because of my location. I sent them an email and they ended up mailing me the piece in an envelope free of charge. Iron Wind is alright in my book.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Gaslands here I come.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend sent me this page on Facebook. Might be worth looking at for alternative sculpts.

https://www.facebook.com/SteelWarriorStudios/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Now do them as Game of Thrones houses.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So are the Clanners Dothraki or Unsullied?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also looks like I have to wait for retail on this one. Stupid FLGS patrons not caring about Battletech.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BULBASAUR posted:

excuse me, but this is my SuburbanMech

I'm sorry but I'd really like to speak to your manager.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Can it make sharp turns?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I liked the edition with the hard card maps that folded up nice. Those maps kick rear end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

food court bailiff posted:

Is there a lot of hidden information in Battletech games? I’m wondering how soloable it would be for a weirdo like me who can happily chill and play both sides of an ASL SK scenario. Alternatively, is there any kind of scene around the Twin Cities? I’d assume there’s something SOMEWHERE but on the other hand I haunt tons of local game shops on the reg and the only place I’ve actually seen Battletech products in person is Barnes&Noble.

There certainly are people in the Twin Cities who play, but I don't think there's a "scene" so to speak. It's mostly grogs in basements with minis that they bought 20 years ago. I haven't been involved in the Twin Cities gaming scene in 15 years, but some of the guys I knew are still there and maybe even still playing and we all played Battletech back in the day when we didn't feel like playing 40k.

AoS was getting some traction recently, but the friends I spoke to said they'd be willing to play just about anything if people had miniatures. I'd recommend attending a gaming night at one of the stores and getting on good terms with people and then asking around. You might have to play a game you're not all that interested in at first though, but you'll probably meet someone who knows someone eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

Nothing generates interest in a game like seeing it played in a store, too, so even if you can't find *many* people make sure that the games you play are actually visible and somebody else might get interested.

Grogs playing in basements is utterly useless for perpetuating a game, but good luck telling them that.

Yeah, it was counter-intuitive to me too. Everyone was always excited to get a game of Battletech in and yet no one was putting any legwork into generating interest.