Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've been binging Battletech lore videos lately as I've been carrying my new freeborn for several hours every night. It's at the point where I'm thinking of getting some mechs to paint at some point, and maybe even get some games in once hobby time is back on the table.

Everything looks to be more or less out of stock around here, am I correct in guessing that the best idea in my situation would be to wait for the merc kickstarter and get my stuff through it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah sorry should have added that I'm in Sweden and afaik there's one (1) online store here that has battletech and they don't have any of the starting boxes in stock.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

Please sir I just need to grab a can of tomato soup, I’m already running late

ITT fighting a trial of possession over the only ripe avocado in the fresh produce section

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So I committed battletech today and picked up a box (IS heavy lance). The FLGS only had two IS lance boxes and two Clanner star ones, none of the actual starting boxes or rulebooks. I don't think there's much of a local BT scene, so I'm looking at painting up at least two sides myself. After looking around, the Free Rasalhague appeals to me, both as a filthy scandigoon and that I like several of their paint schemes. The Hatchetman also feels suitably space vikingy.

I don't know of a local BT scene so I plan to paint up two forces. Right now I'm thinking of Lyrans, Kuritans and/or mercs/pirates for IS opfor, and Wolf and/or Ghost Bear for Clanners. By the time I've painted up these four mechs, I assume the new Alpha Strike box should be available.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

We in da same FB group, saw your post there. Hi! Also a Nordicgoon (Finland), perhaps one day we’ll meet on the battlefield. Who knows, maybe someone in your city sees your post on FB and you get some games going. Happened for me. Or just convert your friends

If you’re totally unfamiliar with the rules at this point, you can get the basic quickstart rules over at https://bg.battletech.com/downloads/

But do bear in mind that these are simplified rules that don’t use the full record sheets.

Yeah I have at least one person in my regular gaming club that has shown interest in trying it out, so I think I can get some games going as long as I do a bit of the legwork myself with assembling the minis.

I'm not completely new to the game, I played it a bit way back in the 90's as a teenager since my dad had the old box with the paper standees. So I kind of remember the concepts, but will need a large dose of refreshing.

I got some good advice in the FB group, I might start by assembling two forces based on the Ronin War. That could open up for both FRR and Ronin as well as Loyalist Kuritans.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 12, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Running a MW Destiny campaign and doing a similar setup of a merc company in the middle of nowhere. Slowly building up a bit of a conspiracy around things that are slowly coming to a head and what looks like an invasion from a neighbouring military is imminent.

And then the players found a large cache of stolen gold so surprise motherfuckers its Three Kings/Bad Company time.

That’s a funny way of spelling that it is Kelly’s Heros time

E: the t-34 dressed up to be a Tiger is a medium mech with a papier-mache Atlas head on it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

If I understand the update it's a good idea, they're basically saying that instead of forcing the kickstarter for a Q4 launch and then have a long dragged out production time they'll make sure that the sculpts are done first and make the production time shorter.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

As a new player, I almost immediately got a distaste for everything involving Clan Wolf and their off-shoots because the stench of "author's favourite" sits like a heavy cloud over everything I've read so far. Is that an unfair reaction?

Also it seems that every other clan has at least something interesting going on, while Clan Wolf's trait is... they always win? And when they lose they lose less than the other clans?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So is the BT community the opposite of the historicals community?

In your average historical facebook group, showing minis and saying "I know these are not 100% historically accurately painted, but this is how I like to do it" means you'll get a bunch of people disregarding that completely and posting long posts about what are indeed the correct colour of the inside of a T-34 commander's hatch.

Meanwhile, in BT, I posted "I know that you can paint your mechs however you want, but IF you want to do these formations according to lore, how would you do them", and I got a dozen posts on how I should just do what I want and disregard lore. :P

Anyway I'm asking here too. I'm seeing so much contradicting stuff on the FRR, both on sarna and on the uniform pages. Some says some formations ONLY have a specific weight class of mechs. So 1st Tyr would ONLY have heavies and assaults. Gunzberg's Eagles would ONLY have assault mechs. Which doesn't make any sense at all, either in universe or as a hobbyist. have a nice time walking into ambushes all day, every day, while not knowing where the enemy is. Also all lances are sold as at least somewhat mixed. And most times I find any ToE they tend to at least have a scout lance or something supporting the heavies, but then I can't find any ToE for any FRR so...

I guess my question is if the stuff on sarna is sometimes just bullshit? Or is it the actual lore composition that sometimes doesn't make sense, and you have to choose whether to adhere to it or just ignore those specific parts? I'm currently thinking of just assuming that those heavier formations would indeed have at least a handful of lighter mechs available to do some scouting and support.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 30, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Really, it boils down to the different mindsets of various games. BattleTech players are just excited by the prospect of having someone new to roll dice with, so they don't want to scare you away by telling you that the 1st Sword of Light don't usually paint their 'Mechs canary yellow with purple hazard stripes.

I can totally understand that and it's usually a healthy attitude to have as a community. But as a primarily historical wargamer, there's a whole appeal for me to do a force that is "historically correct". Right now I'm leaning towards a mainly 1st Tyr force, maybe with a smattering of other FRR regiments to swap in as support, and for me that's just a more personally rewarding hobby project than to paint up a few mechs in a random camo, even though I can completely understand why that is a more appealing option for most normal people.

So I'm planning to start to paint up the medium and heavies as Tyr, maybe a few lights too, and at some point I might paint up an assault lance of Gunzburg Eagles. If I end up liking light and medium mechs a lot, I might end up painting up a lance or two from a lighter regiment.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Got started on painting my first mech yesterday. It's a grasshopper, and no poo poo I realized today that I completely misunderstood what part of the head was supposed to be the canopy. But then doing an image search, it seems I'm not the only one.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I want this, but I don’t want to find out how badly I might’ve missed on some of my mechs :laffo:

OTOH, I'd imagine in universe it'd be a great camouflage idea to paint your thickest bit of head armour to look like a canopy. :P

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Warning to anyone that ends up on parts of Battletech social media. Apparently the chuds are losing their poo poo that the Rommel isn't getting a new model in the kickstarter but the Patton is. It's also reignited the Pardoe arguments in some circles.

Lol I was just today looking at Youtube, and since I've watched some of the flagship channels like Black Pants Legion I've been gradually recommended smaller channels. "Oh, a video about gatekeeping, sounds interesting".

Que a video about how gatekeeping in general is bad, and the Battletech community should not be too harsh against new players coming in from 40K, but the online social justice warrior conspiracy are just looking for their next target now that they ruined Star Wars and Star Trek for everyone. And be careful because they've ruined 40K too now, so it's just a matter of time before they come after Battletech!

Jesus Christ if you've been crucified for your politics in the 40K community in 2022 you must have been AT LEAST openly borderline nazi.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Use an airbrush or a rattlecan of your color and get basecoating done very quickly.

In general I don't enjoy painting at all, but I like the end result as I hate playing games with bare plastic.

I'm the opposite, more a painter than a gamer, so I'll be happy even if I never get to plonk down my mechs on a table. Though my Dad just retired and he got the oooold box, so I think he'd enjoy finally getting a few games in 30 something years later.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

actually3raccoons posted:

The new Alpha Strike box has a release date of 11/16, but I don’t see anything about where it’s being sold:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/52598/battletech-alpha-strike-boxed-set-storms-retail-stores

No idea, it's still listed as "preliminary release January 2023" on the Swedish webshops that I've found it on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You can also keep it to use for later periods if people start playing it. As you said they mainly don’t play later on due to a lack of mechs, not on principle. Suddenly, if they see that you can field them, someone might want to branch out their own collection to match yours.

It’s a cool mech. I’d just paint it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Rorahusky posted:

Been slowly painting up a lance of 'Mechs in Constructicon colors, and this is my latest finished model, a Centurion Scrapper

A.k.a the Green Goblin :P

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

Crossposting this from the Classic BT FB group because it’s a discussion I want to have

What’s the best part of BattleTech’s gameplay? A lot of people say ”you come for the mechs, you stay for the lore”, but I wanted to think about very specifically the moment-to-moment gameplay, because I do think BattleTech is a fun game to play on the tabletop. I found precious little discussion on this on YouTube at least and decided to throw in my two cents with a short talk.

The gameplay elements I chose to talk about in the video are:
1. Initiative (as in: not IGYG, but the simultaneousness of it all)
2. Damage (how it affects gameplay and even more how immersive it is)
3. Movement and positioning (the absolute core of BT’s tactical gameplay, really the gameplay element the game is ”about”)

I recorded this somewhat spontaneously last week and now that I listen back to it, there’s a lot more I could have talked about when it comes to those three things. But maybe it’s a decent opener for a discussion.

What do you think is the best part of actually playing BT on the tabletop?

https://youtu.be/_rJ1IwUOnjs

I haven't played the game yet as an adult, but as a teenager, the "marking in dots" version of damage resolution, combined with the gradual degredation of mechs as they gets torn up, was more enjoyable than the more binary wound management of Warhammer and its ilk. Thinking of it, I've also always liked video game bosses where you can incapacitate arms, legs, weapons etc. instead of just being one big pile of HPs that you need to get down to zero.

And that's not just battletech, I also like it in other games, such as Trafalgar or many historical dogfighting games where you track damage on your ships, planes etc. the same way.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Asked my FLGS weeks ago if they'd be able to get the GOAC box for me, it was listed as out of stock for a long time. Went back again yesterday, now it seems their stockist will only resupply the beginner box and the new Alpha Strike box sometimes next year? I might simply pick up the box at cheapest online stockist I can find at this point.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thanks, but I’m in Europe so US shipping plus customs makes that not an option unfortunately :(

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Might be a bit late for the east coast, but just found out that Barnes and noble is running a half-off board game sale, and that includes battletech boxes. Suspect it may be in-store only. Got 2x beginner boxes, a clan starter, and AGoAC box for ~$80.

Saw this all over facebook today and yes, I’m supremely jealous. :p

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Green mechs lookin’ drat slick.

I might not have a B&N to raid but today I scored a used GOAC and beginner box plus the total warfare book for a chunk off full price. It’ll be waiting for me when I get home from my inlaws. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

The Riflemen IIC is wearing a hat.

For some reason I think more mech's should be wearing them too.

Lol it you’re not painting your rifleman iic as wearing a sombrero or straw hat.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno what it does to the probability, but in the Guerilla Miniature Games Battletech campaign that just wrapped, they were rolling two 2d6 d12s - like d12s that were marked with d6 pips on all faces

You could make a bell curve 2D6 single dice with 36 faces. So one 2, two 3s, four 4s, and so on. It'd probably be highly impractical. You need more than 12 faces to replace a D12, your example above sounds like just fancy D6s, ie. D12 with every result from 1 to 6 appearing twice, which I've seen but never understood the point of.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

everyone likes to bring up Clan speak as an example of how English has actually changed in BattleTech but it is straight up perfect English (to the point where they don't even like using contractions) with just a handful of new words that are almost entirely military tacticool radio brevity words.

BattleTech has never actually been interested in exploring linguistic development and that's a bad excuse for how every non-English language usage is completely jacked up. They can just say they made a mistake and move on instead of trying to dress up misspellings and bad dictionary usage as linguistic drift.

I live in a Swedish-Japanese household. When I read about the Raselhague speaking a Japanese influenced Swedish, I imagine it’s close to my daily life. A weird version of Swedish where you’re prone to put verb phrases at the end of a sentence, and refer to random stuff with japanese nouns because you forgot what the hell a vending machine is called in your mother tongue.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Are the old 90’s TROs still worth pursuing? Just saw TRO 3050 and 3055 turn up on a local auction site.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Len posted:

That sucks to hear that urban maps aren't much fun to play on. I guess really what I'm picturing is just a canyon where you can blow the walls up to make more los range

How do y'all go about keeping track of bullets? Just writing them on the mech sheet as you go? We put our sheets on page protectors so we could erase and reuse them but it still feels real clunky

Pro move: put a jar with 200 m&ms on the table. Eat one for each shot.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Me too, played it back in the 90’s with Dad’s cardboard standee box, never touched it again (though played BT computer games) until the new minis made me curious to check it out.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

FishFood posted:

What's the exact scale for the Timber Wolf? 15mm?

If it is about 4 inches and the real mech is about 12 meters tall, that’s roughly 1:120. 15mm scale is about 1:100 depending on how much scale creep you have. So close to 15mm scale but probably a slight tad smaller.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

From the kickstarter comments you'd think Catalyst was the Third Reich or something. Geeze if BT has a bunch of toxic rear end in a top hat fans. I feel sorry for their community staff.

E: that Bounty Hunter lance looks like a lot of fun to paint up. Not sure to go for the 80 bucks tier as I initially thought or bump it up a step to get some packs too.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 23, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So we’re what, seven hours in and at 2.8M. Not surprising given the first 24 hour rush, but the entire west coast isn’t even home from work yet. Never mind the first 48 exclusive stuff. Any bets on final sum? I’m thinking a solid 3.5M

Nah it'll break 4M. I bet there's a lot of people like me who's mulling over which option to go for and hasn't pledged yet.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Good to know, thanks.

I haven't played Battletech as a pen and paper game in 30 years - I'm more a Mechwarrior/MWO player - but all this kind of has me tempted to get back in. The new models look super sweet and I find myself in the peculiar position of having a girlfriend who keeps hinting that she wishes I'd take up a wargame because she loves painting miniatures.

If I was gonna back this thing, what's a meaningful level to back at that would get me a decent starter set? Ideally at a level that I'd have enough mechs that I could have a friend over and do a lance vs lance fight.

Veteran (80 bucks för the merc box and a few bonus stuff) level will give you enough minis for a lance on lance fight and have a bunch of options. I know people love getting tons and tons of minis but after buying the Game of Armored Combat box and two lance packs, I already feel like it’s a lot. So maaybe the level above that if you want to go crazy, but you don’t need to get knee deep from the start to get a few lance on lance fights in.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 24, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Kesper North posted:

That's perfect, thanks.

As a new player I think it makes total sense to choose the veteran level, play a few games to see if you like it, what kind of mechs you like, and the go buy a lance pack or two.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

There’s Gas Lands but having never played either I don’t know if this is what you’re referring to

It’s Gas Lands. It has the specific Hot Wheels scale etc

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

If I wanted to play a coop campaign where I DM the opfor and a bunch of friends play a merc company, it's Campaign Operations I want right? Not some other book (as well)? I have the AGoAC rulebook and Total Warfare.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 28, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

GD_American posted:

If they ever do timejump again, I'd like to see another technological regression. Lostech 2 except this time with Clan poo poo.

Honestly I agree and as a newcomer there’s so much bloat that has questionable value for the game. There’s what, 15-16 types of lasers? Not speaking small medium and large here, but families of lasers. Is that really a good thing?

E: sarna had an even hundred entries for missile weapons, though those do include different sizes of the weapons. Still maybe maybe a tad many? Especially when you combine the number of missiles, lasers, ballistics and so on.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 2, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah my point was more ”this is a laser but it causes slighly more heat and more damage. This is also a laser that causes slighly more heat and more damage but it does it in a very slighlty different way” is poor game design. At least when you have so many cases of it. Some of them being irrelevant does not help, as it requires you to be fluent in the rules before knowing which ones are irrelevant.

It’s kinda like one of GWs worst design failures, having a gazillion space marine units that serves little or no purpose than to confuse people.

It’s enough to put a newbie like me from venturing beyond say, clan invasion where I still remember most stuff from cultural osmosis and video games. If you want to make il-clan era your flagship it’s a thing you might want to look at, all I’m saying. For me it feels like the least inviting, not for the fluff but for the sheer complexity.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 2, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Buildings are really, really hard to make well for BattleTech because of the mapscale/mechscale discrepancy. If you make them mapscale they look tiny; but if you make them 'Mechscale they take up an enormous footprint. That includes things like Mechbays, which should comfortably fit a lance into a one hex space, but would look comically tiny if you actually tried to make one small enough. Anything at Mechscale is usually better reserved for a diorama/showpiece than actual gameplay because they take up such a huge map footprint.

This is a little better in alpha strike because alpha strike's map/movement scale is closer to 1:500 rather than 1:1000

There is something I like to call "mixed scale" for making buildings where you build a building's height at 'Mechscale but keep its footprint mapscale. It only works for certain types of buildings with very clear elevation levels, but the things it does work for come out pretty ok. Level 1 (2 story) "row houses" and shops work well because everyone expects them to look cramped and narrow; and lowrise/midrise/highrise apartments tend to look good too.

Edit: I made some prototypes of things that look good at both 'Mech and Mapscale with the intention of maybe selling the .stl files, but that was back before even the first kickstarter and I never finished most of them.

”Mixed scale” is a thing in 28mm scale as well, but few people realize or admit it. It got super obvious for us when we were making ww2 terrain. If you make actually 1:56 scaled houses, anything bigger than huts will take up a huge chunk of a table. A small, properly scaled, village church will eat up 1/4th of a common 4’x6’ table, same for things like station buildings. You need to adjust length proportions a lot to get houses that feel ok but still leaves you with playing area.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

LeschNyhan posted:

I could be convinced to up my pledge a bit in the last 24 hours. Does anyone know what option I have to go for to get the aerospace fighters?

Are those not add-on salvage? IIRC the salvage boxes you get through the pledge are only mercs salvage, while the add-ons can be chosen from any of the salvage lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

LeschNyhan posted:

Oh, weird, thanks. That's kind of counter-intuitive, but I guess I understand the logic of a single-item box.

I can see how keeping the pledges locked to merc stuff (both salvage boxes and lance packs) probably streamlines the logistics a bit. A lot of backers will not do add-ons, so then you can prepare those pledges more easily if they are from the kickstarter stuff, not the entire range. But double check, I’m not sure that I am correct on this.