Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

I thiiiiink this was confirmed at some point

Yeah, it's in the kickstarter FAQ. Every vehicle salvage box contains two of the same vehicle, except in the case of the long tom where the second vehicle is the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

There's a 6'x4' neoprene mat with battletech sized hexes in the stratagem store on amazon currently on sale, if you're looking for something big. Doesn't have any terrain, though, so you'll have to supply your own hills. Deep Cut Studio also has a neoprene winter mat in 6'x4' or 4'x4', but they're more expensive and can take a bit as they're print on demand and shipped from Lithuania. Again, bring your own hills. Mats by Mars has a bunch of different print on demand mats that can be ordered in different sizes, although not all sizes can have the battletech hex overlay. Not sure what material they're made out of, exactly. The site says it's some sort of wet-erase matte banner material.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

You'd think if they were going to do pre-paints for specific mechwarriors they'd pick people less disliked by the fanbase than VSD and Alaric. And maybe stick them in the 'legendary mechwarriors' packs instead of normal force packs. They supposedly confirmed that the pre-paints were only going to be of mechs that were available unpainted elsewhere, but the Lament and Savage Wolf are both new. Maybe there's something else they're not ready to announce? There have been rumors of Aces getting a full release.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Is it possible to run online Merc campaigns in multiplayer with buddies against bots, using Megamek? We've kind of run out of coop games to run without a proper DM.

Yes. If you download MekHQ there's a 'MekHQ Co-Op Campaign Guide v1.pdf' guide under /docs/. One person runs MekHQ and the rest connect to battles through MegaMek, I think.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I think it wants you to pick from the Linked Scenarios/Narrative Campaigns/etc. sections of the book to run the thing? But yeah, I'm not seeing anything in the book that references the mission types in the Missions Table. "Pirate Hunting" appears exactly 6 times in my PDF - once in the 'Master Contract Terms' table, twice in the 'Missions Table', and then again when those tables are repeated in the appendix. There's references to scenario creation in Total War in the aforementioned sections, but I don't have that book and can't check them. Campaign Operations seems to have a lot of problems like this - plenty of instructions on how to make something, but nothing on how to use it or why.

I do think the assumptions are for a sub-campaign rather than a single scenario and that you travel to another system with the contract not starting until you get there, though.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

It's also incorrect. 'Airfryer' was first trademarked in 2010 and is already genericized in the US. Still valid in Europe, though.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

SRM spam can be pretty unfun from how long it takes to do all of the cluster and hit location rolls.
Tandem-Charge SRMs are going to throw an additional roll on the determining critical hits table on top of that.

I wouldn't necessarily call a force entirely made out of assaults unfair, but they can be unfun from the lack of movement and ability to soak tons of damage making it feel like nothing's happening. It's going to depend on the lists and people at the table. What sorts of lists are other people playing in these games?

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Isn't a good chunk of the third Aiden Pryde book about showing how his time pretending to be a freebirth changed him into a better, nicer falcon by having him not just immediately raze a town that's resisting occupation but instead sit down and talk to them about how they should be honored by the clan's decision to break up their families and ship them off to other planets as slave labor? Which obviously doesn't work so they all have to die anyways.

Saint Celestine posted:

drat. poo poo got dark in the battletech universe. I haven't read most of this stuff after the civil war, and it seems pretty bonkers.

Things get real stupid after the fedcom civil war. It was the early aughts, so we got edgy nonsense like limbless WoB cyborgs believing that they were whatever monstrous creature their protemechs were supposed to be and trying to eat people.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

The FCCW is stupid, yes, but it's the standard idiot ball hot potato sort of stupid. The WoB is where a lot of the grimdark stupid comes in. Although there was a decent amount of it back in the early GDL books now that I think about it. Like Comstar framing the legion for the murder of twelve million people because they want the landhold on Helm.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Placentaur posted:

Just dove into this and picked up the Beginner Set, the Game of Armored Combat Box, and the IS Urban Lance box.

I like the lore of the Capellan Confederation and I want to make a somewhat fluffy list/lance/force (not sure the term).

I’ve read that the Raven, Vindicator, Cyclops, Cataphract, and sort of the Catapult are classic Capellan mechs. Anything else stand out as classic Capellan stuff? How do y’all generally organize your collection with painting. I see a lot of groups of four mechs painted the same which I’m guessing is because that’s a standard Lance size, but do you end up with a bunch of differently painted groups of four mechs?

Figure I’ll paint some of the other mechs another way, but I’m very new to this and I think the lack of guard rails like a lot of other wargames is throwing me off.

If you want a full list of what units any given faction would normally have access to in any given era you can check out the masterunitlist, assuming the website isn't down. Which it frequently is. Xotl stopped updating his Random Access Table a few years ago, but should cover the frequency that a lot of mechs show up in for different factions. There are also tools for generating faction appropriate forces in the MekHQ part of MegaMek, but installing that can be a bit weird because of Java.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I hope the Bull Shark eventually gets canonized as something like how the Mechwarrior 4 Hellhound eventually got used for the Hellcat. It's probably going to get tied up forever in some legal purgatory with Paradox disbanding Harebrained Schemes, though.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if this all came down to the wrong column in a spreadsheet being read, plus the battlemat being erroneously marked as being four feet long.

Good to see that the comments on the update are still full of 'Superbackers' who didn't even read it and just want to rage at anything and everything CGL says.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

A Rakshasa with the arms removed, from the looks of it.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Even Clan Wolf's name, paint schemes, and logo are boring. But they are the perfect chosen children of the powers that be and the TROs certainly suggest that the plan is for them to rule the entire Inner Sphere for at least the next century with only token resistance. Sure, the 'Eyes Only' stuff is biased, probably inaccurate to some degree, and they've supposedly moved away from doing the time skip, but it still seems insane to me to print anything like it.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I guess it does kind seem annoying that after Kali gets arrested mid-Jihad, there isn't much news seen out of that drama afterwards, at all.

Disney Star Wars.

I don't think it's even mentioned when or how Kali dies or who her children are. She gets arrested, exiled, and arrested again. Jump cut to her great-granddaughter ruling the same old planet and being revered by the same old death cult.

As far as the Capellans never getting any comeuppance for doing Capellan things, isn't that how the three chancellors preceding Daoshen fell? Maximilian goes completely insane after the Confederation is gutted in the Fourth Succession war, which was motivated in no small part by his attempt at replacing Hanse Davion with a body double. Romano gets personally assassinated by Candace as revenge for the assassination of Justin Allard. Sun-Tzu "ascends to godhood" on Liao during the Night of Screams, which ultimately fails in retaking the system from the Republic. Four chancellors, if you count Maximilian usurping and killing his own dad.

Holybat posted:

It's kind of odd to single out the Capellans as some uniquely bad thing in the setting with war crimes/crimes against humanity being the bread and butter dramatic tool in the last few eras of sourcebooks.

Horrific war crime poo poo happens all the time in the BT universe especially now and short of Amaris and Kentares how much of that is actually followed up on in a concerted effort? How long did Malvina get away with poo poo in universe that if the Lyran state wanted to get even with they would be using all the nukes and pissing on Hazen's ashes?

Edit: to not end on such a cantankerous note, honestly I find a ton of the "and then this faction commits a genocide" or other terrible things just incredibly dull in the late Dark Age. Good example when I think in Era Report 3145 gets into the Nova Cat annihilation and it details out how a jump ship of mostly civilians with a few warriors makes it into Ghost Bear territory and the Ghost Bears just dump everyone into space.

Absurd war crimes aren't even strictly a later era thing. ComStar just assumed that Grayson Carlyle wouldn't accept a bribe to let them dig around for the Castle Brian in the Grey Death Legion's new landhold on Helm, so some precentor killed an entire city of 12 million people and framed the GDL for it. Barely four novels in.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

There's a new humble bundle out. 70 books/shrapnel issues/short fiction compilations plus last year's bundle as a single item.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

The MUL isn't exactly stable and goes offline a lot. There's probably something out there - I know of a github page for looking up alpha strike cards and tracking heat/damage on them and I doubt whoever made it copied everything down by hand.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Good news for those who don't have anyone to play with? Today's news stream had some early stuff from Ray Arrastia about what they want Aces to look like. They're hoping to develop it alongside the Mechcommander's Handbook so that the two work well together and have Aces in some sort of force pack like product that contains a miniature campaign which can either lead into the Handbook stuff or be used to expand on it. Nothing's set in stone, development on it is starting Soon(tm). Also they've started trying to put together an Aces like thing for standard Battletech and not just Alpha Strike. Which I hope works, but, uh, good luck with that.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, the original GDL trilogy is three of the first four books and I'm pretty sure no one recommends reading the non-GDL one in there. They're one of the very few times the fiction feels like it's set on another planet and not somewhere in North America and probably the most representative of the very early "Mechs are priceless heirlooms and a handful of them can conquer a planet" setting.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

You pretty much have to go out of your way to not end up with multiple Mad Cats. It's in two of the box sets, two of the legendary mechwarrior packs, a force pack, and has a premium model sold on its own. I'm guessing that the Archer is probably the second most common. Have fun getting multiple Vindicators, though. Little guy only exists in the beginner box, which is pretty bad value for anyone who is just after plastic.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Official word on shipping is that things are still being tweaked until they make an official announcement in a backer update. They still haven't calculated mine yet, but I pledged through backerkit in late December so I'm probably near the end of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Traveller posted:

I just want a box of bug mechs and another box of industrials to give players a bunch of grunts to shoot the hell out of.

One of the things coming out of Kerenskycon was that they're thinking about doing a company box of bug mechs. No actual plans for it so it's at probably a couple of years out if it happens at all, unfortunately.