Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Before they can release a book, they need to pay the people who wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wouldn't be CGL if they weren't missing every opportunity given to them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It does.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Was it a called shot?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Why do you need a GM to play BattleTech anyway? Kick that loser to the curb.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like there's a $200 option to have them trace you instead of a famous person.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If that Banshee isn't a Banshee-S, NO SALE

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like it was a mistake having the pledge levels that let people name or create characters be worth so little because that's a lot of characters that need to be added to canon and it's just the first day.

Though technically they could just add the "name a character" tier to canon as one-line listings in a new version of the clan phonebooks :thunk:

It's at least more fair than "make friends with us at GenCon"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirFozzie posted:

We’ve held off on designs heavily associated with a particular faction, so far.

Panther, Wolfhound, and Jenner

What are these motherfuckers talking about

These could not be associated any more with one faction

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sure. I'm more surprised it comes after them saying general IS use is so important though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

The Panther was a SLDF design and is on every availability list except Marik (of course). It's iconic to the DC, but not nearly exclusive.

The Wolfhound for a lot of people is less FedCom and more just anywhere. Phelan's use of one wasn't anywhere near FedCom employ and he's arguably the most famous pilot.

You can find a single pilot for anything just about anywhere (thanks, Death Commando special rules!) but that doesn't mean that a unit isn't identified with a particular faction

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It makes sense. There IS no updated Banshee other than the S line.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's not a bad unit but I'm not sure why the WoB designed it when the Berserker was already being built two production lines to the left.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm just buying an add-on. I have no need for another rulebook or anything else in the intro box.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also there's a fairly firm limit on how much damage a machine can soak. Several of the things that make a unit less susceptible to fluke kills are IS tech, plus the strongest type of armor.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

laughs in off-map pushing

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It... takes a long time. Especially if you don't have the hit location and TM+ tables memorized.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks, thread, for scaring me away from CBT.

Does alpha strike include combined arms at any level?

If it doesn't you're doing it wrong

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lovestick posted:

Alpha Strike is cool and good. I only have played the first print rulebook - what is different in the companion/commander edition and is it worth getting?

The Commander's Edition is basically just the original rulebook combined with the stuff from the Companion like LAMs.

Currently DTRPG has the Commander's Edition for $20 and the Companion for $15, so it really depends on whether you'd rather have one book instead of two, or half a :10bux:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

The problem with the classic board game is that it sucks. I mean there’s a million things I love about it and the simulationism produces the most hilarious twists and turns. But it sucks. You could play a dozen games of Dominion or some quality X-wing in the time it takes to resolve a 3v3.

Curious about Alpha Strike though - if the to hit rolls are all or nothing, isn’t it a bit swingy?

Actually it's good except for DHS. Sorry.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thank you for your rousing defense of the caste-based, poverty-stricken, genocide-legalizing fascist regime.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No really it takes some cojones to talk about ethnic cleansing when the Clans are doing it at the point we're at in the timeline now. It's all cool because they're genetically unclean, right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hustlin Floh posted:

I'm pretty positive whichever guy designed those clan tanks also did the Project Phoenix mechs, meaning they're a horrible monster who should never work again.

They were done by Plog, so I guess it goes to show you that when you're cranking out every other piece of art for every book they produce, you're gonna make some stinkers.

Overall TRO: 3060 was not the strongest book for art. You could tell they got the Hauptmann and a couple other units in and then were like "uh I dunnow do whatever"

Taintrunner posted:

I acquired the latest edition of the Tech Manual today and let me tell you if you've wanted to convert a T-72 into a Battlemech murdering machine, it's never been easier.

Not gonna murder many mechs with the light rifled cannon on that thing

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

House Marik makes some dubious claims to be the last descendants of the Hapsburg dynasty, so Central Europe?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Federated Suns = House Stark. Boring and overdone, obviously the "good guys".
Lyran Commonwealth = House Lannister. Rich. Snobby. Incestuous behind closed doors.
Cappellan Confederation = House Targaryn. Batshit crazy, delusions of grandeur. Exactly one good descendent, and he's a bastard.
Draconis Combine = House Greyjoy. Clearly the bad guys, don't give a gently caress what you think.
Free Worlds League = House Oberyn. They're in the show, guys, promise. You'll just never see anything important and never hear about what happens there ever again.

There's only one House with a member whose parents were siblings and that's Liao.

She got raped by a Davion, btw. Gotta double up on the EDGYYYYY stuff

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Katherine Steiner-Davion used her own and Victor's genes to produce an heir that nobody likes (Alaric).

You mean Katherine Wolf, genemother of Alaric Ward.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Where do you think she got the idea from? Probably the Clanners she hangs out with who do it all the time. They're all about that poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BULBASAUR posted:

Now do it for the Clans

Wolf - Jon Snow. Very generic but everyone always talks about how important they are.
Jade Falcon - Arya Stark. Never sells a defeat, will shrug off any problems.
Ghost Bear - The Night's King. Portrayed as a huge threat but can't be bothered to walk more than ten feet from their front door.
Nova Cat - Theon Greyjoy. If there's a bad thing, it's happened to them.
Diamond Shark - n/a. We're clearly using the show as our basis here and Game of Thrones doesn't give a gently caress about economics.
Smoke Jaguar - Tywin Lannister. An antagonist who had the good sense to get out before things got hella stupid.
Steel Viper - Doran Martell. People you know who are have actually read the books say he's cool but all you know is they get wrecked.
Hell's Horses - Davos Seaworth. Seems pretty decent, but is a born follower and only knows one thing: boats conventional forces.
Snow Raven - Olenna Tyrell. If you're loving the First Prince and he dies, you just upgraded to a newer model. Plus, she's a Redwyne.
The Homeworld Clans (Star Adder, Cloud Cobra, Coyote, Goliath Scorpion, Blood Spirit, Fire Mandrill, Ice Hellion) - Pick a character who got cut from the show.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm sorry but I'd really like to speak to your manager.

Duchess Karen of Inarcs requests your presence.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Drone posted:

Welp, I've changed my opinion on Clans now. They're cool and good.

TBH I see poo poo like this more from people bagging on the Jihad or DA.

I mean, gently caress. DA was like 15 years ago at this point.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899309

If you wanna try it out, I am starting a campaign. Who wants to subcontract to NasDiv's security division?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah doesn't the beginning box cut out like... heat and range brackets? The two most important elements of the game's decision making?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirFozzie posted:

New fiction out, Redemption Rift, set in 3139, which kicks off the Draconis Combine-Davion war in fiction, featuring Wolf's Dragoons. Don't want to spoil the story, but it wraps up a storyline a century in the making, as the story ends with the Ryuken getting their first general since someone named Testuhara...

On the one hand, it would be nice if they'd do something to move the story forward instead of go back to the start of a conflict where one side has already captured the other side's capitol.

On the other, I'm glad that I don't have to read any of the fiction ever again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

These are definitely nice to have, but of all the systems ECM counters it seems like C3 is the only one that really goes beyond ‘some slight marginal bonuses.’ Makes you wonder why the Raven was such a big deal when the Combine and the CapCon don’t even share a border!

I think you're really underselling Artemis IV, but also, it was important because they were slowly rediscovering Star League-quality electronics that hadn't been in production for 200 years.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

It's also because the things ECM does that are really useful don't frequently come into play in pickup games. ECM also jams active probes, which prevents hidden units from being revealed unexpectedly. There's an optional rule for active probes to cancel a point of woods penalty to shooting if the target is within probe range, and that can be a big deal.

Finally, the Ghost Targets rule is really irritating in practice but allows a unit to use its ECM to generate a concrete defensive bonus against attacks from other Mechs and vehicles.

Mostly, though, it's C3. And C3 is important enough when it does enter play that cutting it, one way or another, is likely to be a decisive moment in a game.

I also think that MegaMek showed people more ways to use ECM systems just because it made double-blind games easier to play*, and since they cancel out BAPs, that's a pretty big edge.

*Holy poo poo there was no way I was doing that on my own.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That whole thing they said about how, if you don't need the beginner's box or any of the main packages you can just buy some of the extras ala carte turned out to be a lie. So I have this balance and it won't let me spend it on anything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pussy Cartel posted:

The real bang for your buck would be the ComStar level IIs, which get you six mechs each.

Also made of Star League mechs, which are the MOST universal machines.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unless you are playing double blind or deploying units as hidden, you're really not concealing anything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sure but the way PTN does it sees units being invisible until they have LoS, which isn't the same as HIP in ASL. I didn't mean it would give them a defensive bonus. My bad :(

Yeah that's PTN doing his thing as a GM. In a normal game, everything is always visible. That's what I was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

food court bailiff posted:

Any good galleries of painted minis out there?

Camo Specs online

quote:

Is there anything weird or strict (either in rules interactions or the overall scene) with color schemes or can I kind of go wild with whatever I think looks cool?

There's no WYSIWYG rule in BT, and it's generally frowned upon to try and press people to follow it. Units and factions largely exist to provide structure to unit choice, because without it, force selection feels rather like playing tennis without a net.