Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mulva posted:

You've made a powerful enemy today, Aaron Aaronson.

e: More contentfully, With nominally the worst is over, the bandaid ripped off, I'm interested to see where they go with all this nonsense. Great, Wolf won and the clans have nominally fulfilled their birthright.....now what? Evidently it's coming down the pipe sooner rather than later, but they need something pretty strong to make this seem like a change of pace worth entertaining.

they become farmers, just like the successful barbarians of old

Or whatever happens in Tamar Rising I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Iiiiiiiiiii have not received a shipment notice at all yet, despite my last name being towards the front of the alphabet. (my address confirmation notif was sent on the 9th)

IIRC I ordered pretty much every Inner Sphere 'Mech in Wave 2 so

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 27, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Iiiiiiiiiii have not received a shipment notice at all yet, despite my last name being towards the front of the alphabet. (my address confirmation notif was sent on the 9th)

IIRC I ordered pretty much every Inner Sphere 'Mech in Wave 2 so

Looks like complaining about it worked! Two hours after posting this, I got my tracking number.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Nice, the Hussars have such a great yet simple scheme

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Electric Hobo posted:

In my neverending quest to not play any Games Workshop games, I've now reached Battletech.
What rules are the current set? From the last few pages I'm guessing Alpha Strike, but it seems like that's impossible to buy?
It looks like there's plenty of files for 3d printing, so that's great!

Keep it simple: BattleMech Manual is all you need to play with the robots.

(Alpha Strike isn't really BattleTech. A Game of Armored Combat/Total Warfare is what you'd step up to if you want to go full nerd with combined arms.)

Don't even print out any miniatures, they're not necessary to play, there's no rigid requirements that make a game "official" or anything. You can even play with literal bottle caps marked with an arrow to show facing. Minis just make the game look nicer.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Kilazar posted:

Am I the dick?

You and your friend obviously want to play at two different rules levels. Infantry towing autocannons is real but you ought to be allowed to field atmospheric bomber assets that wipe out entire stacks of them within a hex with Inferno or Cluster bombs, etc.

Tell him to step down to your level or go gently caress himself, you're just starting out

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You need better friends

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Try the Classic BattleTech forums to see if there are other local gatherings in your area?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why I got into GMing games of Alpha Strike IRL. Minimal time commitment, lots of 'mechs to move, and I've been having fun losing BattleTech online for a decade so it's no problem at all for me to lose in person from time to time to help a few people have a fun evening.

You GM games of Alpha Strike and people actually enjoy them? How do you do it?????

AS has always seemed like a diluted experience in my never-wanna-try-it eyes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Randoms: Hellbringer, Ice Ferret, Stormcrow, Viper, Greyson Death Carlyle (Marauder), Natasha Kerensky (Dire Wolf)

did you enjoy the thrill of BattleMech Miniature Gashapon

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nashira posted:

Sorry for ranting, I just needed to get it off my chest.

How much did you like the Federated Suns getting its rear end handed to it repeatedly, from 3067 and onwards?

For me, it was just cathartic.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nashira posted:

I don't think there's much I can do about it, I can just tell that it's negatively affecting my enjoyment of a universe and game I love and have played for almost 30 years.
Out of curiosity because you seem to be pouring your heart out here - when did things start to go wrong for you? Where did the first warning signs pop up?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Today I discovered Mechwarrior: Destiny aaaaaaaaand it's making me want to run a campaign for it, but set in 3132 instead of 3025 or 3050. Yes I want to go nuts with conversions of goofy IndustrialMechs and stuff.

also I have never GM'd a game before except once as a teenager, half-seriously with a pre-made D&D box set and my cousins who were very curious about it. I have a few player candidates in mind, all of who I'm very good friends with, but they would form a pretty motley crew demographics-wise and it would involve mixing friend groups...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You see, war crimes are cooler when you look like an adult committing the war crime and not a manchild committing the war crime, and

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
there was a goon network dramabomb? lol

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hmm that sounds like a thing that happened all right

i'm getting nostalgia for when goons first crashed the mwo forums, invading my old predominantly-white nerd americana space robot game

and it made me look up who all these cool and good and normal people were on the somethingawful.com forums

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't have an answer to that post, but I just bought a copy of the new Mechwarrior: Destiny, hoping to run my first non-one-shot campaign.

Thinking of setting it in 3132 because I'm clinically insane. Also if anyone has tips on fun stuff/characters/events going on in the Prefecture VII or VIII-side of the Republic, I'd appreciate some words

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 22, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Do you end up going to hex maps and tabletop rules for your hack? I want to know!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
'Mech internals are honestly pretty amazing. They inflate BattleMech sizes to physics-breaking volumes while still managing to contain insanely violent synthetic muscles, while also acting as sometimes-extra armor on a 58.3% chance

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Defiance Industries posted:

The Falcon OZ fragments into a bunch of micro-states and the Sea Foxes get HPGs working

Good

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I just bought the Clan Invasion expansion box set for a family friend. What kind of scenario should I run with it for Christmas

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for that writeup. That'll work great for me & 2 others!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, please spill the beans on all the Republic secrets like Gray Monday & the Fortress. I kinda want to run my Destiny campaign in 3132 because of the chaos marchy theme and industrialmechs

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
lmao. also that makes me even hornier for the Liao Incursion. Can't be wrong about being xenophobic 100% of the time!!!

Still going to try and set the campaign in the Prefecture VII-VIII side of things though. Galatea, Outreach, Solaris, and some of the crazy developments that happen further out as time goes on like Nova Cat shenanigans, the reformation of the FWL, and more Clan fun that ends in the Wolf Empire

Stewart seems nice.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Samurai bad guys are pulp fiction staple, and some pulp fiction fans will inevitably get horny for the bad guys

The only way to chase those horny for bad guy away is to nuke the bad guys out of existence. Which tends to end with making selling the game as a whole kinda difficult.

A lot of Herb Beas' Jihad attitude towards the BT line, while possibly righteous in some ways, had to be walked back quite a bit.

Once upon a time, I enjoyed shitposting on the BT forums about people complaining about it. It didn't end with a change in the fan culture, that's for sure.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Excessively lucky samurai bad guys.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Edit: nevermind, megamek is cool

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 24, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Strobe posted:

To play a Jade Phoenix is to actually skirmish, rather than LARPing Napoleonic tactics with mechs.

The difference between a skirmisher and a line 'Mech though is that one of those two roles gets a better reputation among competitive players than the other.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
raverrn put it in a way I struggled with. Clan pulse boats, and Clan assault 'Mechs in general that dedicate most tonnage to max armor & weapons, win by doing the main objective of a lot of BattleTech games as quickly and reliably as possible: hit things until things die. When you and others as players have a time and turn limit before things stop being fun, it can be no surprise that the "battleship" approach to 'Mech design gets picked the most often.

If only the FASA writers could see us now, optimizing the piss out of our double heat sinked, antagonist-only MechWarrior campaign final boss machines....

Or really what I'm trying to say is, BT game balance has always been broken and Bring Your Own Lance/Star shouldn't be taken for granted, at the very least

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 25, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Gross

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The box set Clan game went great! After some pointers, the turns went pretty smoothly. I took a really lucky shot and hit the Timber Wolf's cockpit with a laser from my Executioner Prime. After some grinding down of my armor, the Nova A (I let my opponent pick the loadout) eventually responded with a peeper headcap to end it.

I'd figured this was a good gift for my friend because he had some RPG experience already. Once he figured out his own way to internalize some of the crunchier concepts like heat tracking and spending MP optimally to break even on movement modifiers, he was killing it like a rock star.

Actually launched into lore conversation too regarding a whole number of topics like why all the weapons are so bad and why bms have the density of hot air balloons and why the clans forgot they could refuse an ostensibly fair fight (that's a good one BTW)

Only one problem now (and word of warning for players looking to buy it stand-alone): It slipped my mind that the Clan box set didn't come with BattleMech combat rules, only specific rules for Clantech weapons and Elementals. Turns out another BattleMech Manual order is in order...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it true that Canopus has catgirls?

The cat parts are cyborg but yes

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You take that back about mai waifu’s job right loving now

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What are the proportions of the mix of Clan tech and IS stuff (old or advanced) over there by now? I'm wondering about how the scenarios in Tamar are getting balanced

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Character-driven narrative making major changes to a morally gray universe is the worst thing about BattleTech. It’s 2022 and we’re not all 14 years old, come on

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Strobe posted:

Even in the 80s it was Space Anglo-France.
The 80s House sourcebook writers didn’t write the novels. Guess which format Everyday Pulp Fiction Joe latched on to?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
How to update BattleTech's cultures and worldviews without burning down the pulp fiction aesthetic of the game

or better yet

How to burn down the pulp fiction aesthetic of the game

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Strobe posted:

It constantly boggles my mind that people will point out things that happened 15 years lol I guessed conservatively and still got it wrong, it happened in 2003 and five line developers ago like it matters even the tiniest bit.

BattleTech hasn't really changed since 2003, despite the best efforts of five line developers to do so.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It would be nice if Battletech for maybe a couple years had a static universe so people could just lose themselves in a region.

Not commenting on Tamar Rising here—but I do want to voice a hope that there gets to be some way to help people get into the post-Jihad universe more easily.

One of the problems with why the average Joe at the table can’t really explain anything past 3067 in more than just generalities seems to be how face-to-face BattleTech interactions have generally been difficult to retain since 2003, unless you’re at a dedicated gaming con or a regular monthly Demo Agent game. Demo Agents are hard to come by as well, since, you know, the whole volunteering thing. In a way, having so much new product that gives so many new options to play with is a little bit overwhelming.

What I’m saying is, please Catalyst do a terrible thing where you force events down consumers’ throats with things like a “season” where Demo Agent games and related products flesh out real, line developer-intended examples of what it’s like to play in Insert Era Here. The more the word of mouth is spread about it the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

3rd Option, let them drop the wall, strike out, reclaim territory, and re-establish a 6th Inner Sphere state to make politics more interesting.

This option would result in fans assigning moral good to the central faction. That is the opposite of interesting. Also, gently caress the Federated Commonwealth