Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I stopped reading the books and following the meta plot around the end of the FedCom civil war / before Dark Ages

Did the Chaos Thumb (???) become the Republic of the Sphere?

What happened to Clan Diamond Shark and more importantly the signature mech the Piranha!

Can someone explain Clan Jade Wolf? Was it a joke that I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Does BT still have LAMs?

I remember that they were caught up in some kind of rights struggle but this was 96 or last I paid attention to it.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Urbanmech level is what finally defeated me in The Crescent Hawk's Revenge. God that game was loving tough, but a level where you're just in Urbanmechs? No loving thank you. The scenario designers were masochists.

I was like 9 or 10 when I got a boxed set of the two CH games and MechWarrior. One was like an RPG with action-like elements and the city gets destroyed, one was more like TT BT and I couldn’t get past the first few stages, and then the last was MechWarrior.

I never knew there was an actual storyline for MechWarrior for years, I just thought it was cool do merc job game.

Then I learned a bastardized version of BT where we all played with custom mechs using a mix of clan and IS equipment, and the to hit tables were re-written so that if you shot a mech from the left you didn’t hit the Right Torso. It was... interesting when I first tried to play against people outside that group.

EDIT:

The last BT novel I read was the one where the IS invasion of the clans wrapped up and the final chapter was this long running character being killed by an assassin using some kind of poison in the space brandy he sipped as a victory drink. Am I remembering that right? I want to say it was towards the end of first run of BT novels post Victor Steiner Davon figured out this mom was killed by his sister (I think??? Been a long time) and pre-Dark Age / Word of Blake Jihad / THE INNER SPHERE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN.

Nystral fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 14, 2019

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

If Lyrans are not Germany, FedSund / FedCom are not England, DC are Not Japan, and Liao are not China. What is House Marik based on?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Atlas Hugged posted:

I paint my mechs however the gently caress I feel like and I don't think any two have a matching scheme.

I admire this rag tag mercenary company just trying to get by vibe.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Is that a king crab?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Strobe posted:

Strategic reserves. Landing on a half dozen planets gives command time to recognize how a contest is going before committing additional resources to taking planets that are no longer feasible targets.

In the time between the First Succession War and the Clan Invasion, it was also a matter of communication. If you landed your command would have no idea what the progress on the ground was until the HPG was successfully taken or a courier delivered news; mobile and ship-borne HPGs were practically unheard of. In the time after Gray Monday, even regular HPGs are rare. If a flotilla suffers a misjump, they're as good as dead.

Serpent falls between both of those dates, and included significant assets with HPGs that made that kind of strategy safe enough to have a backup plan that wasn't "Guess we'll die."

Didn’t Davon have some kind of slow communication system that didn’t need HPGs? Like it was 56k to HPG’s Cable, but it did allow Fed Suns to invade Capella(?) during... 3030? This was like 25 years ago when I read the books though.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

quote:

4) We recently started using target number dice and it has sped up gameplay immensely. I think most videos will go into details on how this works, but the basic idea is that after a mech moves, you put a dice next to the mech that by color shows its movement type and what the targeting penalty against it will be based on how many hexes it traveled and what terrain it ended up in. This greatly reduces the amount of math you will have to do in the shooting phase. Another hack we've used is attaching small paper clips to the heat scale, positioning the "eye" of the paperclip on one side to show what the current heat for each mech is.

Touching on this, canonically in the fiction from the 90s most merc groups didn’t have anything beyond a common symbol painted on them. One mech was covered with I think it was stuffed animals, or maybe toy cars?

Paint your stuff whatever you want, it’s all on theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

It’s been decades since I read them, but IIRC in the original Jade Falcon trilogy the main character’s crèche mate (???) turned into a scientist caste and the epilogue had something to the effect that she was pregnant and had a free born pure born.

Did anything ever come of that thread?