Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Bedlamdan posted:

I'd be down. I got into the setting because I like giant robots, but I stayed into it because I also like dysfunctional feudal backstabbing.

There's material there for a new thread title

The new starter set is rumored to be coming out, do we know when, and what scale the models still be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

New box sets are Q3 and same scale as before. I have both preordered so I can get all the little plastic mans.

Thanks! What scale is the same scale as before? XD. I have a single old starter, and I'm unsure how large they're supposed to be. If I 3d print some mechs and vehicles to supplement, how large skills i be making them?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

3d printing has also blown open your options, a lot of people are printing things from MWO

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

So I have myself the 3025 "game of armored combat" box set, and my (probably only) opponent loved the clan mechs from the video games. I know about the disparity in clan tech, but grabbed the Alpha strike box and the Clan Heavy Battle Star box because he fully loves the Cauldron Born. It seems like our best bet is to do the Clan Invasion era, with him running Smoke Jaguar. The tech disparity seems like it could lead to a really wide disparity in potency based on whichever scenarios we're playing. Do you have any suggestions for how we should approach building things for fun games in this era?

(Waffling between Alpha strike and classic, but probably the former for speed of play if it's good? I've only played classic before)

Signal fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 1, 2024

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

loving phone posting >.<. I meant potency. Fixed.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Isn't that when you have your Omnimech dump off a unit of Elementals?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Are there any content creators doing Alpha Strike content that isn't either "how to play" or battle reports?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I might need to try out that DFA fan ruleset. Alpha strike is a little light on granularity, but there's no way my friends will play classic with me, it's 80s simulationism is directly at odds with their gaming philosophy.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

What is aces, exactly? It's the "AI" control for opposition forces, right?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I saw a suggestion I agreed with, which recommended using some of the more iconic medium mechs rather than lights in teaching games. Light mechs tend to rely a lot more on chance , and don't represent the attritional nature of battle tech combat properly. Maybe a Wolverine and a Shadow Hawk? (You take the Shadow Hawk, since it's damage is a little less impressive)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Holybat posted:

I wonder if the Combat Manuals failed because when they came out the BT buying base was 99% people who already knew the ins and outs of building a faction-friendly unit according to fluff so the books wouldn't be of any use. But for some of the newer players I've introduced to the game they did want to have a bit more "structure" to the force building and all that, so hopefully this can help those kinds of players out.

I'm one of these players myself, just getting into the game. I've been having some difficulty putting together what the "iconic" Mechs are for each faction in the modern era. Obviously the RAT Said helps (for those who have one) but it's the stuff that veteran players know that I don't that I wish I knew. Things like the panther and Jenner being iconic Draconis Combine mechs. I feel like everyone has some things (wasp, stinger, Shadow hawk, whatever), but I'd love a table of "everyone gets these" plus a secondary of "this is what makes an AFFS force feel like the FedSuns", and hopefully the new books will help with that

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can sort of do this by sorting the master unit list by faction to see what they're actually producing in any given era. It won't tell you all the details (like the Jenner being out-of-production and extremely rare), but it does do a reasonable job.

Yeah, I never knew that about the Jenner! The master unit list by faction is nice, but it doesn't really talk about popularity or what makes a "typical" force. For instance I've also heard people talk about the... FedSuns? being a huge autocannon proponent. That's fun, but idk where I'd conveniently find info like that.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I have no particular interest in the Fed Suns, but thank you. When trying to introduce people who are not particularly engaged or interested in the universe at all, I don't have an easy way to offer them particular flavors to focus their interests. Handing somebody the master unit list and saying go doesn't really help anyone out. Especially since the master unit list doesn't give you the ability to see which units are unique to a faction, nor which ones are common rather than rare.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Holy poo poo, thank you! That's an excellent breakdown. Would you have it in you to do a similar analysis of the ilClan-era situation? My friends like the Clan mechs a lot aesthetically, but idk anything about the "Clan Protectorate," or the Ghost Bear Dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

"The more common the 'Mech, the more likely you'll see it in the periphery."

This is the part that's hard to grok as a new player. Especially since "Everyone has the wasp and stinger, they're the most produced mechs by far!" isn't reflected in the RATs