Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
The author of this piece did an excellent job of burning Twitter in the process of interviewing me, I love it.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a3q744/where-did-shadow-banning-come-from-trump-republicans-shadowbanned

quote:

The “Shadow Ban”

Like so much other modern internet lingo, the “shadow ban” seems to have come from the humor website and forums Something Awful.

Rich Kyanka, the creator of Something Awful, says that the site that spawned “weird Twitter” coined ubiquitous internet terminology including “banhammer,” “spoiler alert,” “let's play,” and “AMA.” (Ask Me Anything). He also says that Something Awful mods invented the term “shadow ban” in 2001.

“We would use it as a joke and only do it to people who were intentionally trying to troll others,” Kyanka, who is regular-banned from Twitter these days, told me in an email. “None of the moderators used it very often, and we got rid of it within a year, replacing it with simply banning the person.”

The banned user could easily tell if they were shadowbanned by logging out of their account and looking for their own posts.

Kyanka is banned from Twitter for making jokes that the platform deemed against its community guidelines. Some of those jokes include telling far-right personality Baked Alaska that he “should go to a room and the room should fill full of concrete,” which Twitter deemed a death threat, and telling Nancy Pelosi to "eat the children,” which the platform considered hate speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Twitter is gay.

im gay.

im twitter?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

McGiggins posted:

Twitter is gay.

im gay.

im twitter?

Don't be so hard on yourself

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Twitter should be shadow banned from the internet.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Ban Twitter from SA so they know how it feels to be excluded

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
da motherfuckin' share z0ne bitch!!!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Can someone explain how "eat the children" is hate speech? I'm a creative, imaginative guy. But even I can't piece it together. I don't even understand what it's a reference to.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Chinatown posted:

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

fill the children full of concrete

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khorne posted:

Can someone explain how "eat the children" is hate speech? I'm a creative, imaginative guy. But even I can't piece it together. I don't even understand what it's a reference to.

let's just say "filling a room with concrete" is an actual death threat serious like to them so

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Chinatown posted:

thanks -admin

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

let's just say "filling a room with concrete" is an actual death threat serious like to them so
But that's actually literally telling someone you hope they do something that results in their death. So while it's a real dumb reason to ban someone, especially for the second form where he had air to breathe and the door wasn't locked so he could just leave, it's still at least logically connectable to the ban reason.

"Eat the children" being hate speech only works if you replace "the" with a slur or at least an attribute that falls under hate speech's definition:

quote:

Hate speech is speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
"he's encouraging Pelosi to discriminate against the children by eating them on account of their age." is the best I can do, but that's a real stretch.

Maybe Pelosi can only exist by consuming the flesh of man so he's spewing some hate speech on her dietary requirements by associating them with harming children?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 9, 2018

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Khorne posted:

a fisherman spots another fisherman from afar

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

curlys gold posted:

fill the children full of concrete

Finally a sensible opinion!

But leave 2 doors in case they want to escape

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I dont think something awful invented AMA

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Lowtax v Twitter is the internet's Ali v Frazier

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Meme Emulator posted:

When was the ask/tell forum made as i guess that would be about as close as you can get to this claim.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tweet THIS! *points at leg*

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Look on my posts, ye mighty, and despair

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
they already deleted your article rich :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Twitter is like if you took your drunk racist uncle's Facebook account and made it public to millions of people. Pretty sure the only thing worse than Twitter feeds is Youtube comments.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
I'm a dual class lvl 5 druid lvl 7 sorcerer. Is it feasible to cast SHADOWBAN with this build?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

I'm a dual class lvl 5 druid lvl 7 sorcerer. Is it feasible to cast SHADOWBAN with this build?

No

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

'My name is Lowtax, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair
!'

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes, Ask / Tell was around wayyyyy before reddit.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

cant win em all

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Chinatown posted:

i just found out that da mf'in share zone is M R Cracker of forums yesteryears and it honestly makes a lot of sense and im surprised i didn't figure it out for myself

owned, i guess :(

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

1redflag posted:

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

'My name is Lowtax, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair
!'

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

I met a poster from an antique board,

Who said—“Two vast and codeless forums

Stand in the net. . . . Near them, oh my lord

Half sunk a banished twitter account, whose tweets,

And ill-thought characters, and rambling written hoard,

Tell that its writers well had those tisms sweet

Which yet survive, archived on these lifeless posts,

The user that mocked them, and the mod that banned;

And last written there, those dreams thought most:

My name is Lowtax, Admin of this Land;

Look on my forums, ye Mighty, and pay my host!

Nothing beside remains. Round the code

Of that colossal mistake, boundless and lost

The lone and level shitposts stretch to the commode.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Very good

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Khorne posted:

It's pretty clear he hates Pelosi. Thus, hate speech.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012

quote:

many bulletin board systems (BBS) server access control lists in the 80s (like mod privileges, but for everyone on your server) included flags for each user that admins could toggle individually, granting users access to things like chat, email, or downloads in the BBS. One of these flags was an early version of a shadow ban:

The ‘twit bit’ is a flag that basically labels a user as a “loser,” in BBS parlance. In other words, the twit is someone who has been flagged for limited access because s/he exhibits immature behavior and can’t be trusted with access to any of the powerful features.

How I label anyone who uses Twitter

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Im glad Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka provided his insight

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Im glad Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka provided his insight

I heard that guy's a real dreamboat

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lowtax posted:

I heard that guy's a real dreamboat

I have a poster of him on my wall like all the other girls

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

your friend a dog posted:

I met a poster from an antique board,

Who said—“Two vast and codeless forums

Stand in the net. . . . Near them, oh my lord

Half sunk a banished twitter account, whose tweets,

And ill-thought characters, and rambling written hoard,

Tell that its writers well had those tisms sweet

Which yet survive, archived on these lifeless posts,

The user that mocked them, and the mod that banned;

And last written there, those dreams thought most:

My name is Lowtax, Admin of this Land;

Look on my forums, ye Mighty, and pay my host!

Nothing beside remains. Round the code

Of that colossal mistake, boundless and lost

The lone and level shitposts stretch to the commode.

:worship:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

or did they... shadowdelete it :tinfoil:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
1 And the whole internet was of one site, and of one forum.
2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of SA; and they dwelt there.
3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make code, and test them throughly. And they had code for stone, and posts had they for morter.
4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a termonology and a meme, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole internet.
5 And the LOWTAX came down to see the termonology and the meme, which the posters of the internet builded.
6 And the LOWTAX said, Behold, the posters is one, and they have all one site; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their site, that they may not understand one another's forum.
8 So the LOWTAX scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the internet: and they left off to build the termonology.
9 Therefore is the name of it called shadowbanned; because the LOWTAX did there confound the site of all the internet: and from thence did the LOWTAX scatter them abroad upon the face of all internet.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Hell yeah you did an interview about twitter shadow banning people that’s what’s up my dude ✊🏽

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do you feel about that new Slenderman movie?

• Locked thread