Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Norwegian Automobile Federation did a comprehensive winter test last year. It wasn't deep freeze temps but mixed conditions, different surfaces with snow and slush and comfy cabin temps in all cars. Doing it at the same time and same speed guarantees an apples to apples comparison at least. Grey is WLTP range in km, green is what they did on the day. Click through and hover over the charts to get the numbers in km.

https://www.naf.no/elbil/aktuelt/elbiltest/rekkeviddetest-vinter-2020/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

41 inches across, 27 inches deep at the bottom, 15 inches deep at the top because the seats lean back and the hatch goes forwards, 27 inches tall at the hatch.

Thank you very much. That confirms what I thought. Just a tiny bit to small. Boogie boards which would have to go inside the car are 42 inches long, so they'd only fit at an angle. They wouldn't even sit flat at the very bottom of the floor. That sucks because I really like the idea of the E-Niro. You saved me a trip to a dealership, and even if it was just for 4 or so posts there wasn't any tesla talk between us :)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I recently tried out an EV ARC off-grid solar EV charger at the Trees of Stone Interpretive Trailhead. It was pretty neat, does exactly what you'd expect. I think I got 15A out of it, and was the only one charging at the time (There are two charge handles). If I was a prepper I'd definitely have one of these on my compound.

Whoa, those things are neat. Look kinda spendy though. I wonder what the economic trades are..

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

If we're trying to improve the signal v noise ratio here I'd say that home solar discussion is irrelevant even though one company in that industry happens to also make EVs.

...unless you're talking about how well your solar setup charges your EV.

I recently tried out an EV ARC off-grid solar EV charger at the Trees of Stone Interpretive Trailhead. It was pretty neat, does exactly what you'd expect. I think I got 15A out of it, and was the only one charging at the time (There are two charge handles). If I was a prepper I'd definitely have one of these on my compound.

That's really cool :sun:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

is there a thread for random electrical vehicles, like bikes, onewheels, unicycles, etc?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hdip posted:

Thank you very much. That confirms what I thought. Just a tiny bit to small. Boogie boards which would have to go inside the car are 42 inches long, so they'd only fit at an angle. They wouldn't even sit flat at the very bottom of the floor. That sucks because I really like the idea of the E-Niro. You saved me a trip to a dealership, and even if it was just for 4 or so posts there wasn't any tesla talk between us :)
It's 41 inches between the wheel well, I think it's more like 48 if the boards are sitting on the wheel arches.

edit: Now I see what you mean. Yeah, it's just a bit too small. Also I have no idea if the roof rails are actually useful.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 13, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

RZA Encryption posted:

If we're trying to improve the signal v noise ratio here I'd say that home solar discussion is irrelevant even though one company in that industry happens to also make EVs.

...unless you're talking about how well your solar setup charges your EV.

I don't think we're worried about post count, just meaningless shouting about Tesla/Elon, it's not like this thread moves very fast, and some of the posts on environmental sustainability in general (obviously a goal for EVs) here have been great, I know there's more topical threads in other subs, but I don't read 'em and I don't plan to start.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

is there a thread for random electrical vehicles, like bikes, onewheels, unicycles, etc?

Post about 'em here. Pretty sure CA has a thread for EV motorcycles.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Has anyone bought a Model 3 standard range plus? If so, do you wish you had sprung for the long range model? I'm a year and a half out from my Volt lease, but I'm curious if any goons went for the base model and second guessed it or regretted going for the lower trim. My longest trip is about 200 miles of about 75% freeway (the last being back roads at around 40-60 mph) so I'd probably need to charge at least once for that. However I'm also in northern California so reduced range in the winter isn't really a huge deal. There are superchargers all over on the way up, incl. the town where my family all still lives (where there are 0 CCS chargers and 0 planned), so I'm not too worried about availability. The SR+ is missing a few things too like the subwoofer and a few speakers, but I'm not sure how big of a deal that is.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Speaking of upcoming stuff....is there anything new expected to come to the US by the end of the year? Right now, I'm set on the niro if nothing changes, but I won't be buying before september at the earliest and possibly much later than that depending on how long I can monopolize my parents' car. A lot of the upcoming stuff look nice, but it all seems slated for 2021, and I can never tell if thats CY 2021 or "2021" aka late 2020.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hell Gem

Westy543 posted:

Has anyone bought a Model 3 standard range plus? If so, do you wish you had sprung for the long range model? I'm a year and a half out from my Volt lease, but I'm curious if any goons went for the base model and second guessed it or regretted going for the lower trim. My longest trip is about 200 miles of about 75% freeway (the last being back roads at around 40-60 mph) so I'd probably need to charge at least once for that. However I'm also in northern California so reduced range in the winter isn't really a huge deal. There are superchargers all over on the way up, incl. the town where my family all still lives (where there are 0 CCS chargers and 0 planned), so I'm not too worried about availability. The SR+ is missing a few things too like the subwoofer and a few speakers, but I'm not sure how big of a deal that is.

Just remember when thinking about range that real range is probably about 2/3 of what it's rated for.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The Ford Mach E is model year '21. So it should be available in the next 6 months.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Speleothing posted:

The Ford Mach E is model year '21. So it should be available in the next 6 months.

EV launches are all hosed up and don't follow normal vehicle launch cadences. Normally MY X is available in late Q3 of CY X-1. However, I think Mach E is basically following normal cadence and is expected to be available in November, though there's some talk about COVID pushbacks.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Even before covid my hybrid escape was supposed to be available November of last year, but so few were being made that i didnt even lay eyes on one till February.

I doubt few if any are getting a mach E this year.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Note that the top end Mach E GT won't be available until later in MY 2021 so late summer 2021 according to Ford.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 13, 2020

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Westy543 posted:

I have an lr awd, if I had to buy a replacement today I’d do the sr+ and save the money. If you’re doing that 200 mile trip less than once every month or two it’s not worth the cost imo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Even before covid my hybrid escape was supposed to be available November of last year, but so few were being made that i didnt even lay eyes on one till February.

I doubt few if any are getting a mach E this year.

Oh for sure, keys in hand at this point is probably like, Q3 21. I imagine they have a decent number of deposit slots they will fill first.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, someone brought up the idea of a thread IK for this thread and I feel this idea has some strong merit. What I feel it would look like would be rebooting the thread as an all encompassing EV thread with a rule of no musk chat except where it directly concerns Tesla and their ability to produce EVs. I'd also making a thread rule against pointless brandshitting or stanning. This is where an IK would be extremely useful since they'd be a regular reader of this thread and have a better grasp on this subject.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just make sure it's someone in the middle and not a bazinga or TSLAQ (and I say that as full TSLAQ)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Westy543 posted:

My quick window shopping research indicated that as long as that long trip isn't super frequent and in the winter an SR+ should be fine. I planned out a few road trips on A Better Route Planner I want to do (day trip from Ohio to Kentucky and Indiana and back, trip to Virginia) and they were all perfectly feasible. For laughs I planned a cross country trip to California and it looked. Only issue was a couple sections being limited to 65mph

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Most of the mach-e production is probably going straight to europe, and the remaining will probably be in a similar situation as the RAV4 prime is now. A cool 15k in dealer markups!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I am honestly quite tempted to get one of these... although I wish the range and top speed were a bit higher.

https://www.thepickman.com/pickman-classic

I think the range is around 70 miles with a top speed of 35/37mph.
Which seems a bit low.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I saw a Fisker Karma the other day. Pretty rare for my out-of-the-way Colorado town.

Say what you will about Fisker or the Karma they definitely have the best pedestrian warning sound in the biz.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Senor P. posted:

I am honestly quite tempted to get one of these... although I wish the range and top speed were a bit higher.

https://www.thepickman.com/pickman-classic

I think the range is around 70 miles with a top speed of 35/37mph.
Which seems a bit low.

Uhhhh, I could be wrong but I think that item is exactly this:

https://lingstar.en.alibaba.com/pro....1d3c4e9ca75wWY

A lot cheaper from alibaba, though you'll have to pay for shipping and customs fees.

Who's up for a group buy??

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

poo poo, I'm down.

I really want a small (last model Ranger sized) EV pickup.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The VW ID.4 is supposed to be released late this year or early next.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elviscat posted:

poo poo, I'm down.

I really want a small (last model Ranger sized) EV pickup.

Man I wish for just a last gen sized ranger pickup from any make. Doesn't appear to be forthcoming. :(

Pickman notwithstanding. :v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, a street legal one.

My Ranger just sits around 6/7days each week, if I could replace it with something new and electric I would. My Leaf has awesome storage capacity, and if I wasn't rebuilding a house and hauling my dirtbike to the trails twice a month it'd be a fine single vehicle. I see why all those people wanted to keep their old NiMh Ranger EVs.

Toyota, just make a Tacoma EV, chop-chop.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Westy543 posted:

I bought a SR+, and I do not wish I bought the long range. My situation: I live in temperate Washington State, and have charging at home, and I tend to plan things out-l ike trips. While I haven't taken too many long trips, I realized that almost everything I wanted to do, I could do within a full SR+ charge, or barring that that it wouldn't be that much different in terms of difficulty/imposition than the LR.

Keep in mind, the increased range only really helps you with a particular window of trip distance: 0-200 miles they're the same, 200-300 miles the LR is better, 300-400 they're the same (one charge stop each) etc. Beyond ~450 miles it really is just reducing a stop or two, and the difference seems pretty minimal to me over the course of the total trip time.

I've found I really have to work hard to come up with hypothetical situations where I can't do something with the car based on the range. YMMV if you're in a colder spot, more remote etc...

As for other stuff - the sound system is pretty good on the SR+, I haven't been in a premium interior to do much comparison though, I do understand that it is significantly better, and there seems to be no way to easily upgrade, so there's that. Other differences are more minimal now that you can (If you want, I have not) upgrade to premium connectivity and have the rear heated seats turned on.

Also, I bet you could make that 200 mile trip no problem in the SR+. Play around with Abetterrouteplanner.com to convince yourself.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Ulf posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I saw a Fisker Karma the other day. Pretty rare for my out-of-the-way Colorado town.

Say what you will about Fisker or the Karma they definitely have the best pedestrian warning sound in the biz.

https://youtu.be/MUcbXplAvSc

Etron has it topped.

Audi also has an extremely unintentionally hilarious video about the making of the sound:
https://youtu.be/HGfIfwzVIrM

Shamino fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 13, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hell Gem
My Model Y is silent.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Bum the Sad posted:

My Model Y is silent.

RIP to all the blind people you run over.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hell Gem

Shamino posted:

RIP to all the blind people you run over.

Blood for the blood god

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread but are there any recommendations for Charging Networks/apps. Obviously Tesla has supercharging stations but I tend to do a lot of road trips especially during ski season including to some remote towns. I've downloaded PlugShare, EVgo, Chargepoint and Electrify America. Anything that I've missed that I should have and anything that I installed that's a waste of space?

EDIT: Also which connectors are must haves or nice to have? I have the Tesla and their SAE J1772 adapter but do I need CHAdeMO?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 13, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Westy543 posted:

Don't have either, but remember the LR-AWD also adds AWD and a decent amount of additional quickness at the same time.

My CT reservation is a tri-motor for range, not quickness. Tesla does tend to bundle those together.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Shamino posted:

https://youtu.be/MUcbXplAvSc

Etron has it topped.

Audi also has an extremely unintentionally hilarious video about the making of the sound:
https://youtu.be/HGfIfwzVIrM

AUDISOUND SPETZIKAMPF

Yuns posted:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread but are there any recommendations for Charging Networks/apps. Obviously Tesla has supercharging stations but I tend to do a lot of road trips especially during ski season including to some remote towns. I've downloaded PlugShare, EVgo, Chargepoint and Electrify America. Anything that I've missed that I should have and anything that I installed that's a waste of space?

EDIT: Also which connectors are must haves or nice to have? I have the Tesla and their SAE J1772 adapter but do I need CHAdeMO?

Use an app called A Better Route Planner to look up the recommended charging stations on your trip, see if you'll need ChaDeMo, or whatever other weird networks.

I need 2x ChaDeMo charges to get my Leaf to the slopes, one is the dealer where I bought it, and free. The other is some bizarre rural network where you need to call them to pay or have their local card thingy, but it also works with PlugShare's pay service, which is convenient.

Plugshare has lots of pictures of Teslas plugged in to that ChaDeMo station via adapter, so I think it's about the only quick charge on that particular stretch of road (hwy 2 to Steven's Pass in WA)

Also, Blink is the biggest ChaDeMo supplier in my region, so I have their card and poo poo for when I need it.

TL;DR, you need to figure out your charging landscape for yourself, also charging is dumb compared to swiping your card at the pump.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks for that information EC. Much appreciated. I've got the charging network for northern NJ pretty mapped out but I go to Vermont/NH and Montreal too for both recreation and kid's ski race competitions so I'll have to map out my likely routes too. Considering the weather at Tremblant I'll probably gain a good idea of very low temp performance too. A big part of being ok with the small Model 3 vs an X or e-tron etc. was making sure I could fit a couple of kids plus all their ski gear (4 pairs of skis along with boots, helmets, speedsuits etc.) in the 3. Usually I'll use the minivan but I needed to have the option to use the other vehicle. (I love performance vehicles but I swear that the Honda Odyssey has to be the greatest vehicle for pure utility that I've ever owned or driven)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 13, 2020

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Elmnt80 posted:

So, someone brought up the idea of a thread IK for this thread and I feel this idea has some strong merit. What I feel it would look like would be rebooting the thread as an all encompassing EV thread with a rule of no musk chat except where it directly concerns Tesla and their ability to produce EVs. I'd also making a thread rule against pointless brandshitting or stanning. This is where an IK would be extremely useful since they'd be a regular reader of this thread and have a better grasp on this subject.

I think that would be a good thing. I don't think this thread is particularly toxic but then again I've been on SA for 20 years and hang out in the climate change threads. Some of the ribbing Tesla havers have been subjected to has been a bit :stare: and I have to say they've been remarkably good natured about it. It might be a bit off-putting to lurkers though.

Just realized we haven't had the Bolt plugged in at home for close to a month. Even with my wife making some trips into work public chargers during the once a week shopping trips are enough for the week. We must be getting over our range anxiety.

I shouldn't be so delighted at getting free electricity. This rules. :toot:

I'm sure it won't last.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
This is almost certainly staged by Ford as some BS "Snuck into the proving ground and look what I saw!" video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RszqMl3D-NI

However It seems to be a Mach-E showing off it's acceleration and pulling some awesome AWD drifting.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

However It seems to be a Mach-E showing off it's acceleration and pulling some awesome AWD drifting.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford makes it impossible to really slide/drift the Mach E in the production version by way of stability/traction control that can't be fully shut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

sanchez posted:

I have an lr awd, if I had to buy a replacement today I’d do the sr+ and save the money. If you’re doing that 200 mile trip less than once every month or two it’s not worth the cost imo.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Buying a bunch more battery for maybe 5-6 times a year doesn't seem prudent.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I bought a SR+, and I do not wish I bought the long range. My situation: I live in temperate Washington State, and have charging at home, and I tend to plan things out-l ike trips. While I haven't taken too many long trips, I realized that almost everything I wanted to do, I could do within a full SR+ charge, or barring that that it wouldn't be that much different in terms of difficulty/imposition than the LR.

Keep in mind, the increased range only really helps you with a particular window of trip distance: 0-200 miles they're the same, 200-300 miles the LR is better, 300-400 they're the same (one charge stop each) etc. Beyond ~450 miles it really is just reducing a stop or two, and the difference seems pretty minimal to me over the course of the total trip time.

I've found I really have to work hard to come up with hypothetical situations where I can't do something with the car based on the range. YMMV if you're in a colder spot, more remote etc...

As for other stuff - the sound system is pretty good on the SR+, I haven't been in a premium interior to do much comparison though, I do understand that it is significantly better, and there seems to be no way to easily upgrade, so there's that. Other differences are more minimal now that you can (If you want, I have not) upgrade to premium connectivity and have the rear heated seats turned on.

Also, I bet you could make that 200 mile trip no problem in the SR+. Play around with Abetterrouteplanner.com to convince yourself.

Yeah, honestly I gently caress around on abrp a lot, and even starting at like 15% charge it's really not that bad. The SF Bay area has about infinity superchargers per capita and there are a bunch all along my route out, after which there are still plenty. I haven't found many SR+ owners who regret taking a 9k savings.

Speaking of range... apparently there will be no standard range or SR+ Y. RWD LR will happen after all for the Y. "The range would be too low" is the reason, and that's fair. It's expected to be 230-240. I wonder if they'll bring the LR RWD 3 back.

PS, thank you everyone else for weighing in! Makes me feel a lot better about aiming for a SR+ 3.