Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RZA Encryption posted:

Uhhhh, I could be wrong but I think that item is exactly this:

https://lingstar.en.alibaba.com/pro....1d3c4e9ca75wWY

A lot cheaper from alibaba, though you'll have to pay for shipping and customs fees.

Who's up for a group buy??

What performance do you think lithium batteries would give this thing? I guess most of the control electrics would need to be replaced to go faster sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

I think that would be a good thing. I don't think this thread is particularly toxic but then again I've been on SA for 20 years and hang out in the climate change threads. Some of the ribbing Tesla havers have been subjected to has been a bit :stare: and I have to say they've been remarkably good natured about it. It might be a bit off-putting to lurkers though.

AI is alot slower and chiller by nature than cspam or gbs. Even though this thread generates more reports than any other in AI by far, AI as a whole generates fewer reports in a month than cspam does in a day. And having reports isn't a bad thing to me. Even if they aren't actionable things, it gives me an idea how a thread is going and what issues people may have with a threads direction that they aren't comfortable posting in the thread itself. :v:

It gives me time to go back in threads and read back through for context for reports in threads where I don't follow it closely. (Basically this thread, plane chat and train thread)

I really think this is a good thread to have in AI and the discussions about EVs in the automotive community are going to be necessary going forward. We do realize (or need to realize in some cases) that our hobbies/professions/interests are directly contributing to climate change and having a place to discuss that is a truly valuable thing. Personally, I just want an electric bass boat and an electric bof 4wd suv to tow it with.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 13, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yuns posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford makes it impossible to really slide/drift the Mach E in the production version by way of stability/traction control that can't be fully shut off.

I think - while it would be lunatic fun to drift the poo poo out of a Mach E - that the instant torque delivery of an unrestrained EV's motor, esp a high powered one, would be pretty much just asking for 95% of the drivers out there to poo poo their pants and never touch all off again, 4% to careen into the nearest solid object and 1% to actually get to terms with it. EV's offering unrestrained modes is a non starter.

That said, I know there's already kits annnnnnd wow Tesla have a Dyno mode that does the same drat thing.

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/dyno-mode.15386/

Oh god that must be so much fun (for me) or utterly terrifying

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think - while it would be lunatic fun to drift the poo poo out of a Mach E - that the instant torque delivery of an unrestrained EV's motor, esp a high powered one, would be pretty much just asking for 95% of the drivers out there to poo poo their pants and never touch all off again, 4% to careen into the nearest solid object and 1% to actually get to terms with it. EV's offering unrestrained modes is a non starter.

That said, I know there's already kits annnnnnd wow Tesla have a Dyno mode that does the same drat thing.

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/dyno-mode.15386/

Oh god that must be so much fun (for me) or utterly terrifying
I wish you hadn't have informed me about dyno mode. I had assumed no EV manufacturer would allow full TC/SC off given the issues you note. Now I have the irresistible urge to find a huge empty parking lot on a low traction day (rain or snow) and slide/spin the 3.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Well, a street legal one.

My Ranger just sits around 6/7days each week, if I could replace it with something new and electric I would. My Leaf has awesome storage capacity, and if I wasn't rebuilding a house and hauling my dirtbike to the trails twice a month it'd be a fine single vehicle. I see why all those people wanted to keep their old NiMh Ranger EVs.

Toyota, just make a Tacoma EV, chop-chop.

Arghh! Right?? Hell even a PHEV Tacoma would be amazing! ~50+km electric range for all your normally fuel sucking city errands, and it doesn't even need to manage Prius level fuel economy, even 6 or 7 l/100km hybrid mode for the highway would be excellent. Come on Toyota, get it in gear!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Was watching a Bjorn Nyland video over the weekend and he was showing some of the Euro CCS retrofit/upgrade bits and the adapter. They install a new communication board that gives your car the ability to use any CCS charger with a simple physical adapter.

I can't help but wonder why Tesla hasn't brought this out for the US market yet...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yuns posted:

I wish you hadn't have informed me about dyno mode. I had assumed no EV manufacturer would allow full TC/SC off given the issues you note. Now I have the irresistible urge to find a huge empty parking lot on a low traction day (rain or snow) and slide/spin the 3.

I've done it a few times, it's great. Would recommend.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

stevewm posted:

Was watching a Bjorn Nyland video over the weekend and he was showing some of the Euro CCS retrofit/upgrade bits and the adapter. They install a new communication board that gives your car the ability to use any CCS charger with a simple physical adapter.

I can't help but wonder why Tesla hasn't brought this out for the US market yet...

Same reason that Apple resisted switching over to USB type-c. They want to keep people locked into their charging platform.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Same reason that Apple resisted switching over to USB type-c. They want to keep people locked into their charging platform.

We're still going through a format war here in North America while CCS Type 2 won in Europe. I'm betting CCS will win here as well, and Tesla'll have to sell adapters but it'll take a while.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 13, 2020

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I think a lot of the nascent CCS infrastructure in the US could be easily overwhelmed by even a tiny portion of Tesla charging, right when it's just becoming functional enough for Bolts and such to legitimately road trip. A lot of the critical EA stations have 4 chargers at most, with much slower turnover and higher unreliability than a Supercharger. I know I'd be drat pissed if showing up in a CCS car to find an EA station with 2 of 4 functional chargers taken up by Teslas. My viewpoint is from Appalachia though, where CCS is just a handful of very new EA stations for highway travel, and still completely absent from WV except for a 24kw charger at one Harley dealership barely over the state line.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Seen this on the Bolt EV forums..

The Bolt EUV/Bolt crossover was spotted in Korea without camo for the first time:

Source: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/bolt-euv-spotted-in-incheon-korea-without-camo.35771/

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If any of you fellow Tesla owners want to have comprehensive data gathering but don't want to hand over your login to a 3rd party, there's Teslamate.

In order to run Teslamate, you need a machine which can run Docker, and bonus points if you can host the app on your website. I'm able to see how much money I'm spending on charging, the vampire drain on the battery, the efficiency of my drive, and a bunch more. The best thing is all the data is mine.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

Speaking of upcoming stuff....is there anything new expected to come to the US by the end of the year? Right now, I'm set on the niro if nothing changes, but I won't be buying before september at the earliest and possibly much later than that depending on how long I can monopolize my parents' car. A lot of the upcoming stuff look nice, but it all seems slated for 2021, and I can never tell if thats CY 2021 or "2021" aka late 2020.

Polestar 2 is expected for deliveries in the US in september/october.
Reviews shaking out to a bit little bit subpar to the tesla model 3 especially in terms of range/efficiency, superior in build quality, and subjective in design.

Really suffers from tariff can chinese made cars. At $49K, its much much more competitive than at $59K.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Polestar 2 is expected for deliveries in the US in september/october.
Reviews shaking out to a bit little bit subpar to the tesla model 3 especially in terms of range/efficiency, superior in build quality, and subjective in design.

Really suffers from tariff can chinese made cars. At $49K, its much much more competitive than at $59K.
I really wish they made the MSRP just under $55,000. Because the Polestar is still eligible for $7,500 tax credit. $55,000 would make it eligible for the $5,000 NJ rebate (I think that if a CA buyer met the CA income requirements, it is already eligible for $2,000 in CA rebates.) This could mean a $55,000 polestar 2 would effectively be $42,500 in NJ and $45,500 in CA. 59k was probably chosen in part to keep it eligible for DE, MD and NY which have 60k limits. If base was 49k that would also pull in ME and MA.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 13, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Polestar is priced to compete with the Model 3's cost at launch. Perhaps their car will also lower in cost after a couple of years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Yuns posted:

I really wish they made the MSRP just under $55,000. Because the Polestar is still eligible for $7,500 tax credit. $55,000 would make it eligible for the $5,000 NJ rebate (I think that if a CA buyer met the CA income requirements, it is already eligible for $2,000 in CA rebates.) This could mean a $55,000 polestar 2 would effectively be $42,500 in NJ and $45,500 in CA. 59k was probably chosen in part to keep it eligible for DE, MD and NY which have 60k limits. If base was 49k that would also pull in ME and MA.

Dropping to 49K base is giving up ten grand a car, 17% of your total revenue, on every car, to achieve a lower price point in markets that represent 3% of total EV demand. It's not a good idea.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bum the Sad posted:

Just remember when thinking about range that real range is probably about 2/3 of what it's rated for.
According to the numbers on the dash, my E-Niro has gone from a max range of 240 miles to a max range of 270 miles. Maybe it's the heat. Also the max range drops to 250 when I turn on the AC because it's loving hot out here. I don't head for home with less than 30 miles left in range for when I get home.

Man, talking about range is hard to do. "I'm 150 miles from home, I have 190 miles of range left, I'm fine"

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 13, 2020

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Westy543 posted:

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Buying a bunch more battery for maybe 5-6 times a year doesn't seem prudent.

Yeah, honestly I gently caress around on abrp a lot, and even starting at like 15% charge it's really not that bad. The SF Bay area has about infinity superchargers per capita and there are a bunch all along my route out, after which there are still plenty. I haven't found many SR+ owners who regret taking a 9k savings.

I've had an SR+ since Mar 2019. I don't regret going with an SR+ but the range and speed of the higher end models would be nice. At the time I couldn't justify the cost as most of my longish travel is 120 mile round trips. I also wasn't sure how much I'd like the car, so I was hesitant to spend more $$$. 31k after state and federal tax incentives with no sales tax was a killer deal for me. If I was to do it again I'd seriously consider a stealth performance model 3.

Keep in mind that the 250 range isn't what you'll actually see. For day to day use the max charge recommendation is 90%. Turning the cabin heater on uses a lot of power, the AC uses some but not nearly as much. Sentry mode uses about a mile an hour. There's vampire drain if you leave your car sitting for days at a time. With that said I don't worry about range there are plenty of chargers in my area and even then I charge at home 99% of the time.

Plugshare is my favorite site for finding local chargers. ABRP is great for planning trips. I'd recommend getting cards for charging networks in your area. They're faster than apps and more reliable. There is a Chademo adapter available but it's $450 and large in size. I bought one but have only used it once just to test if it works. In my car I carry mobile charger with 14-50 and 5-15 plugs, a J1772 adapter, and a CHademo adapter.

For home charging I bought a second mobile charger and 3d printed wall mounts. This was considerably cheaper than a wall connector and gives me a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage that can be used for more than just charging my car.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The range is the primary reason why I have any interest in the trimotor Cybertruck. 500 miles will get me from the NYC area to Mont Tremblant in Quebec without recharging. That's pretty much the longest regular driving trip I make. It'll also let me make a round trip to Gore Mountain. That's all in theory since I would never push the limits of 500 like that in the winter but It would allow for one recharge trips with a healthy reserve.

EDIT: I think I'm so focused on range because while my spouse is the kind of person who will drive until the refuel light comes on in a gas car, I'm the sort of person who gets anxious when I have a quarter tank.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 13, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I used to own a Model 3 Mid-Range, and I got rid of it in favor of a AWD Performance mainly due to my concern of more rapid battery degradation since smaller capacity batteries cycle more times overall. The added speed & range was just the icing on the cake.

Edit:

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Would love to see your wall mounts for the mobile charger. I had what I had lying around and it's not the best.

Your 240v outlet's upside-down! Flip it over, man. My electrician did this, and I did it myself rather than call him up.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

For home charging I bought a second mobile charger and 3d printed wall mounts. This was considerably cheaper than a wall connector and gives me a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage that can be used for more than just charging my car.

Would love to see your wall mounts for the mobile charger. I had what I had lying around and it's not the best.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hell Gem

CannonFodder posted:

According to the numbers on the dash, my E-Niro has gone from a max range of 240 miles to a max range of 270 miles. Maybe it's the heat. Also the max range drops to 250 when I turn on the AC because it's loving hot out here. I don't head for home with less than 30 miles left in range for when I get home.

Man, talking about range is hard to do. "I'm 150 miles from home, I have 190 miles of range left, I'm fine"

My 315 mile rated Model Y currently is really worth about 200 miles right now going 80mph with the AC blasting in this 101 degree heat. From what I’ve seen every 20 miles doing that seems to drain me 10%.

I charge to 85% everyday and come home at 65% after doing my 40 mile highway round trip. Seems pretty consistent

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hell Gem

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I just use the cheapy mount they sell in the Tesla website. Works great for me.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/cable-organizer

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I don't have a pic but this is what I bought to hold the cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S7YH6P9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bum the Sad posted:

My 315 mile rated Model Y currently is really worth about 200 miles right now going 80mph with the AC blasting in this 101 degree heat. From what I’ve seen every 20 miles doing that seems to drain me 10%.

I charge to 85% everyday and come home at 65% after doing my 40 mile highway round trip. Seems pretty consistent

It’s worth noting that pretty much everyone rates their cars mileage at or about 55-60mph, not the normal-for-me 80mph...

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hell Gem

MrYenko posted:

It’s worth noting that pretty much everyone rates their cars mileage at or about 55-60mph, not the normal-for-me 80mph...

Yeah that’s what I read. But most Texas highways are 70 which means go 80.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah that’s what I read. But most Texas highways are 70 which means go 80.

During a VERY long Volt road trip last year I ended up on a road outside Killeen, TX. Dual lane, 70 mph speed limit, but no restricted access with tons of turn offs, crossovers, and no dedicated turning lanes. Cars where going 75-85 and darting/weaving around others slowing to turn off. It was... well.. terrifying. I was never more glad to get off a road than that one.

Coming from a state where dual lane highways are 55 max, and always have dedicated turning lanes, it was an rear end clencher for sure.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yuns posted:

The range is the primary reason why I have any interest in the trimotor Cybertruck. 500 miles will get me from the NYC area to Mont Tremblant in Quebec without recharging. That's pretty much the longest regular driving trip I make. It'll also let me make a round trip to Gore Mountain. That's all in theory since I would never push the limits of 500 like that in the winter but It would allow for one recharge trips with a healthy reserve.

EDIT: I think I'm so focused on range because while my spouse is the kind of person who will drive until the refuel light comes on in a gas car, I'm the sort of person who gets anxious when I have a quarter tank.

Eww, but Gore suuuucks.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I used to own a Model 3 Mid-Range, and I got rid of it in favor of a AWD Performance mainly due to my concern of more rapid battery degradation since smaller capacity batteries cycle more times overall. The added speed & range was just the icing on the cake.

Edit:

Your 240v outlet's upside-down! Flip it over, man. My electrician did this, and I did it myself rather than call him up.

This is a good idea. Thanks. And thanks for all the other options Nfcknblvbl & Bum the Sad

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

mysteryberto posted:

I've had an SR+ since Mar 2019. I don't regret going with an SR+ but the range and speed of the higher end models would be nice. At the time I couldn't justify the cost as most of my longish travel is 120 mile round trips.

Keep in mind that the 250 range isn't what you'll actually see. For day to day use the max charge recommendation is 90%. Turning the cabin heater on uses a lot of power, the AC uses some but not nearly as much. Sentry mode uses about a mile an hour. There's vampire drain if you leave your car sitting for days at a time. With that said I don't worry about range there are plenty of chargers in my area and even then I charge at home 99% of the time.

I usually charge to 80% but a buddy of mine charges to 100% every day, he has a longer commute. He just sets the charging schedule so the capacity isn't sitting unused for too long, it finishes right before he leaves. His is a 2018 and his degradation stats seem pretty good so far.

One of the first things I did after I got used to the car was just turn the battery indicator from mileage to percentage. Eased my SR+ range anxiety considerably and I realized that the car basically won't let you run out of juice, you have to ignore visual and audible warnings for that to happen. We've only done 2 long distance road trips so far but the superchargers made it a breeze. Get out and stretch your legs for 10-15 minutes or just sit in the car and watch Netflix.

I do wish I had gotten the LR for some of the silly frills like the extra speakers and whatnot but it simply wasn't worth the $16k I saved.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 13, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

The extra speed will really get you, but I get the same thing in my ICE SUV that has the aerodynamics of a brick because I usually cruise at 85mph. I don't even mind paying for the extra gas, but when you get 11 to 13mpg and only have a 23 gal gas tank it feels like you're always only a few days from needing to fill up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

stevewm posted:

During a VERY long Volt road trip last year I ended up on a road outside Killeen, TX. Dual lane, 70 mph speed limit, but no restricted access with tons of turn offs, crossovers, and no dedicated turning lanes. Cars where going 75-85 and darting/weaving around others slowing to turn off. It was... well.. terrifying. I was never more glad to get off a road than that one.

Coming from a state where dual lane highways are 55 max, and always have dedicated turning lanes, it was an rear end clencher for sure.

Probably one of my least popular opinions is that speed limits should either be enforced extremely aggressively and severely (no cops, just cameras and mail) or renamed to what society has decided they are, "Speed Minimums". Don't call it a limit if I can get pulled over or endangered by observing it. Bump the limit up or stop calling it a limit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Treading lightly here but..

quote:

Tesla’s former VP of quality explained the automaker’s unusual approach to testing vehicles in a news article that shows why you should maybe not buy the first batch of new Tesla vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/13/tesla-former-vp-quality-explains-issues/

if it's from the horse's mouth, that must count for something. It's basically what most people think it is, push out product faster, fix later, early adopters are more forgiving. In my opinion, that might have been the case with the Model S, but less so with each subsequent model.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can't imagine the coronavirus has helped anything either for the Model Y launch.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Priced/specced up a Nissan nv200 combi, just can't bring myself to drop £32k on something where battery hearing/cooling isn't fitted as standard, and motorway range would be about 120 miles. Come on vw, get that buzz out, there's basically no competition for electric mpv/minivans!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

RZA Encryption posted:

Probably one of my least popular opinions is that speed limits should either be enforced extremely aggressively and severely (no cops, just cameras and mail) or renamed to what society has decided they are, "Speed Minimums". Don't call it a limit if I can get pulled over or endangered by observing it. Bump the limit up or stop calling it a limit.

I'm the italian in a ford focus going 437 mph

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Priced/specced up a Nissan nv200 combi, just can't bring myself to drop £32k on something where battery hearing/cooling isn't fitted as standard, and motorway range would be about 120 miles. Come on vw, get that buzz out, there's basically no competition for electric mpv/minivans!

don't buy a NV

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ola posted:

Treading lightly here but..

https://electrek.co/2020/07/13/tesla-former-vp-quality-explains-issues/

if it's from the horse's mouth, that must count for something. It's basically what most people think it is, push out product faster, fix later, early adopters are more forgiving. In my opinion, that might have been the case with the Model S, but less so with each subsequent model.

I think as long as Tesla is the only viable product in some of these segments they can do basically whatever they want. Once there are a few legitimate model 3 and model y competitors it will be a lot harder to justify poor QC on a 50k car when there are other options.

Currently Tesla’s main advantage is that they simply don’t have competition for the 3 and the Y. Everything else is either downmarket or upmarket of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't buy a NV

Not going to, but reasons other than: crappy battery, crappy van-based vehicle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Made by Japan's Chrysler and a niche product so you'll get garbage support even by Nissan standards.