Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cockmaster posted:

The thing there is that Elon Musk's grand vision is for there to be no excuse for anyone anywhere to stick with fossil fuels. Short-range commuter cars don't really fit into that very well.

Short range commuter cars exist today as ICE cars. The range isn't truly limited on something like a ForTwo or a Mirage, but they aren't designed to be used for long haul driving. My ~ideal electric daily drive future~ for my wife and I is probably one longer range bigger EV (something like the future Model Y) and something like a purpose-buitl Fiat 500e with roughly 60 miles range. The reason to get one short range car is because it's cheap. A shorter range commuter EV will always be less expensive than a longer range EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If unrestricted by parking space, per-year usage taxes and insurance, I would totally rock a long distance barge for hauling many people long distances and an appliance that could haul me and my laptop to and from work in relative comfort. Two-seater, AC, 100km range, all fine by me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

The thing there is that Elon Musk's grand vision is for there to be no excuse for anyone anywhere to stick with fossil fuels. Short-range commuter cars don't really fit into that very well.

The "have a short-ranged car for commuting, rent a long-range one for longer trips" model still makes sense even if both vehicles are electric. Going from a 30-mile range to a 150-mile range on an electric car costs an awful lot (at the moment, anyway) and if you don't need that range regularly then that's just wasted money.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Golf-sized cars will have 60 kWh batteries and cost Golf-amounts of money quite soon, the Hyundai Kona is basically there already. Smaller/cheaper than that is perhaps what you'd properly call a city car, but then you are basically competing with not owning a car at all, which is also a sensible scenario.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slightly cheesy ad :smug: but good idea. Tesla has also mentioned expanding on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66D6spRemGk

Basically, being able to get useful amounts of electricity from the battery. Great for camping and artisanal cheese markets.

fe: is :smug: actually a cheese?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Slightly cheesy ad :smug: but good idea. Tesla has also mentioned expanding on this.

The Workhorse PHEV truck has an outlet on the side, covered by a panel kind of like the gas fueling port. The truck's target market is contractors, so basically it replaces the generator they might otherwise have to haul to the work site.

I don't know how much utility it'd give to most people though. How often do you want to run electric devices somewhere where you're taking your car, but you're not in your car, and there's no other outlets nearby? I'm sure it's amazing for a small subset of people, but how large is that subset?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Workhorse PHEV truck has an outlet on the side, covered by a panel kind of like the gas fueling port. The truck's target market is contractors, so basically it replaces the generator they might otherwise have to haul to the work site.

I don't know how much utility it'd give to most people though. How often do you want to run electric devices somewhere where you're taking your car, but you're not in your car, and there's no other outlets nearby? I'm sure it's amazing for a small subset of people, but how large is that subset?

Tailgating

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds pretty awesome to me. I'd use it camping for sure. Also, would be nice to have a tire pump that you could just plug into your car to put air in your tires.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

First thing I can think of is a cooler box on road trips. So not external to the car, but sucking power all the time anyway. Also, you often get demand after the supply. You could run a more powerful compressor while working on your car, or a pressure washer maybe. Not a massive market, you're probably right there, but quite useful nonetheless and something else that sets it apart from ICE cars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Honestly just being able to more conveniently plug in the vacuum when I'm cleaning it would be nice. It feels silly to run a cord from the house in order to vacuum the top of something holding a literal tonne of batteries.

Alternatively, an 80A vacuum connected to the HPWC. :getin:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pretty sure there's a minivan out there that has a built-in vacuum attachment point. I remember some concept vehicle from the 90s had, like, a built in dustbuster.

Going from a 30-mile range to a 150-mile range on an electric car costs an awful lot (at the moment, anyway) and if you don't need that range regularly then that's just wasted money.
I just want to add that the extra mileage is super, super useful now that we live in a doomed heatbox rock. I know that if my wife parks her EV out in the meltscape the range drops drop right quick.

Going from ~70 miles to ~45 is plenty concerning if your commute is usually a 30+ minute jump on a highway/across town. Factor in something like "work commute is 5 miles, but kid's weekend soccer club is an hour away" or having to cross town for work+errands while dealing with hills and the extra range helps.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Cute ideas, but no Ford engineer or Toyota marketing dude is going to tell their wives that they can't take the kids to the beach this weekend because they didn't reserve an extended range rental before 5:00 on Thursday.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

OldPueblo posted:

In the middle is where you don't get either and are sad.

And yet CUVs are the hottest car on the market :negative:

People always want the Thing In The Middle even though it sucks at everything.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty sure there's a minivan out there that has a built-in vacuum attachment point. I remember some concept vehicle from the 90s had, like, a built in dustbuster.

HondaVac in the Odyssey. :iia:
https://youtu.be/i35Uwct9Tkw

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

most people don't care about fun and can only afford one car, therefore compromises are popular

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And yet CUVs are the hottest car on the market :negative:

People always want the Thing In The Middle even though it sucks at everything.

I remember back when politics was centrist and boring and cars were radical and polarizing! :arghfist::corsair:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How long am I going to have to wait for what is essentially a WRX hatchback EV? That's all I really need to know.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The Mercedes EQA hatch is going to be awd and around 270 hp in late 2019. I'm sure that's where the WRX similarities end though. Not sure if its going to be sold in the US either.

Edit: Have a photo

Humbug fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 21, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That looks pretty sweet, but now you've just made me sad.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I don't think anything is confirmed yet. Considering Mercedes aren't selling the normal petrol a class hatch in the US citing lack of interest, I wouldn't be too hopeful. It will probably have a well north of $50k msrp too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They don’t even make the WRX in a hatch anymore. That form factor is woefully underutilized in the US. I’d also love an EV hot hatch, maybe down the line VW will make a GTI version of the egolf.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bawfuls posted:

They don’t even make the WRX in a hatch anymore. That form factor is woefully underutilized in the US. I’d also love an EV hot hatch, maybe down the line VW will make a GTI version of the egolf.

The GTE name wasted on a plug-in hybrid is a crime.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bawfuls posted:

there are more hatches for sale in the US than ever before even ignoring the fact that all CUVs are basically lifted hatchbacks or wagons

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I love my hatchback EV Model S.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

El Grillo posted:

I dunno, my impression is that most people think Tesla's are awesome cars, although there have been some issues with QA especially with the older models and early release model 3's, but those seem largely resolved now? They also don't stack up to similarly priced vehicles in terms of quality of the interior furnishings etc.
But in terms of performance etc I'm not aware of Musk over promising and underdelivering on anything really? I may well be wrong though.

The big problem with listening to him talk about future plans for Tesla seems to be his absurdly overambitious time estimates.

14% first pass yield is a bit worse than "some issues with QA". Are they building cars or are they building T-34s?

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-hit-model-3-target-by-reworking-thousands-of-cars-2018-8

For context, a 80% first pass yield is considered good in the auto industry.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gamesguy posted:

Does that refer to a brand new line, or like... the expectation for a 2019 Ford Focus is an 80% first pass yield?

(not making any excuses for anyone or anything... just asking if we're comparing apples to Brand New Battery Powered Oranges here)

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does that refer to a brand new line, or like... the expectation for a 2019 Ford Focus is an 80% first pass yield?

(not making any excuses for anyone or anything... just asking if we're comparing apples to Brand New Battery Powered Oranges here)

80% is actually pretty low ball. From what I've been able to find most automakers range between 92 and 98%, with a couple of outliers in the 80% range.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gamesguy posted:

14% first pass yield is a bit worse than "some issues with QA". Are they building cars or are they building T-34s?

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-hit-model-3-target-by-reworking-thousands-of-cars-2018-8

That's where not having a dealer network bites them in the rear end. A *lot* of predelivery is about fixing production errors that don't get spotted at the factory. Or fixing errors the factory only becomes aware of after cars are on the way.

But hey not like other car makers can right royally gently caress up.......

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/subaru-ascent-recall-missing-welds/

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

14% is a low success rate for a first year line. The problem being Tesla thought they didn't really need (afford?) to do the pre-production runs car companies normally do to bring the yield rate up *before* the cars go to market.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Gamesguy posted:

That's certainly interesting but is a production issue, not an issue with the quality of the end products actually delivered to customers - unless I'm totally misunderstanding something?

Certainly pretty poo poo though, here's hoping things have been improving a lot in the past couple of months..

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

El Grillo posted:

That's certainly interesting but is a production issue, not an issue with the quality of the end products actually delivered to customers - unless I'm totally misunderstanding something?

Certainly pretty poo poo though, here's hoping things have been improving a lot in the past couple of months..
When 86% of the cars rolling off your line need additional work to be up to snuff, there's a higher chance of you missing something and delivering cars with quality issues to your customers.

What really matters though is that a 14% FPY is just killing them on both production cost and rate, both of which Tesla has to improve asap in order to turn a profit.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Usually if you gently caress up that bad on the production line, your QA probably isn't very good either.

Like so:
https://twitter.com/DietWrite/status/1029838596159619072/photo/1

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Because 2018 wasn't loving weird enough, Kalashnikov has an EV prototype.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/move-over-musk-kalashnikov-unveils-electric-supercar-162854131.html

Yes, that Kalashnikov.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm in love :swoon:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah that looks cool as hell

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tangentally related to "Our Unlock Car Door server is DDoS'd, so please call an Uber if you can't get in your car"

VW Developing OS for Cars

The automaker has committed €3.5 billion ($4.05 billion) through 2025 for a connected car push that not only moves the company toward a new role as a "mobility services provider," but will include the development of an in-house operating system, vw.OS, that will govern entire vehicles.

Though that concept vehicle really looks like a sporty futurized B<W i3

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/move-over-musk-kalashnikov-unveils-electric-supercar-162854131.html

Yes, that Kalashnikov.

Aerodynamics?

nah, more power.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrYenko posted:

Yes, that Kalashnikov.

Hope it has the same build quality as their other products.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
It only comes in a manual but can easily be converted to automatic

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Unlike the Model 3, the Kalashnikov drives in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh hey, Tesla's factory in Fremont caught fire and exploded.

https://twitter.com/authorgutierrez/status/1032791896593035264