Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A coworker got his 3 a few weeks ago. Acceleration is breathtaking. I felt like the S has a better ride. I like the interior design - but I really want a heads up display and a few more hard controls. Build quality was average, nothing special one way or the other. As reported elsewhere, the back seat is not comfortable if you are above 5'9". It's mounted way too low and the cushion is too flat, short.

Would I buy one? I don't know. Coworker's was $57k, before tax credit. I just don't feel like it's a good buy at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dirty hands and an unclean heart

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Clipper Creek

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had one issue with mine - a manufacturing flaw where the rear hatch was missing internal welds, had a weird resonate rattle over bumps. I mentioned it during the first oil change, they ran my VIN and it had been flagged. Mine was one of 20-something that had the flaw. GM bent over backwards to make it right - ordered a new hatch, let me select the body shop, picked the car up, left me a rental and gas card, service manager dropped it back off repaired and let me inspect it.

Bad dealers suck, lemons suck, been there done both. Neither were my Volt.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's funny because a lot of cars now have an eco mode that makes the accelerator virtually dead unless you floor it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

But he's pretty sure :colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Charles posted:

Could you elaborate more? Do you mean they have bad customer service or reliability?

I'm also interested - I've had nothing but good experiences with Clipper Creek.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

spandexcajun posted:

The Model 3 tires have a "noise reducing foam" on the inside of the tire. IDK if this is common now in other luxury cars or how much it really helps? I changed to winter tires last week and the tire noise is notably louder (I expected this), but still not to bad.

I was surprised by how much more worn the rear tires were then the front after only 6k miles. The joy of high HP RWD I guess :)

Model 3 and Buick Regal are the only two cars I know of that are using the foam lined tires right now.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think it's easier to stay in L and modulate with the accelerator. The paddle is harder to use with precision in my experience.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

drgitlin posted:

I always found the opposite in a Bolt or Volt. Paddles 4 Lyfe.

Different flaps for different paps?

:shrug:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The whole 'free charging' concept was why my company no longer has marked EV spaces near outlets. Too many bubbas complained about employees getting 'free gas' when they had to pay to fill up their F350s. I offered to pay $25/month for what I estimated my Volt was consuming while plugged in at work, but there were concerns that would be seen as paying for parking closer to the building. Which is also why they didn't install charging stations after I practically submitted all of the needed documentation for them to get free charging stations from the state.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Subjunctive posted:

You work with children.

I don't disagree. Except it's mostly 60 year old men who (probably) wear diapers, do a lot of crying.

Aging Boomers definitely keep HR busy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

Hey thread we've got ourselves a new Sicilian!

e: was Sicilian pro- or anti-Tesla I don't remember. Doesn't matter he's either Sicilian or nega-Sicilian.

It's all Greek to me :shrug:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrYenko posted:

I’ve driven Volvo’s HUD (2018 XC90,) can confirm it’s pretty loving good.

I still wish they were more height-adjustable. I want that thing way up at the horizon so I don’t have to look down at it. I don’t think any auto manufacturer allows that, though. :(

GM's is adjustable, has the same info, not sure how to describe how high it goes but I can definitely keep it in my line of sight.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

How much for the Muskhead badge option?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Wow cool you sure showed him

he is a bird with big dick, after all

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Model Y

Because Y not

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Westy543 posted:

Look Taycans don't have Supercharging so it's fine. Right?

Waiting for parents to name their kid Taycan

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FilthyImp posted:

Cars with steering assist features are said to need glass with better optical clarity than regular cars.

Who knows if it's bunk

Confirming this as I just encountered it with my non-ev. And the cameras must be recalibrated. Mine was a GM so it only took a few days to get a replacement in hand.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Elon Musk spotted

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Styled by a 13 year old with a weed wacker

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My favorite retro Motorweek segments are the slalom and emergency lane changes where the body roll starts a spin cycle.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

I'm with Elviscat, nuclear cars now!

nu-cu-lur

or

nu-cle-ur

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a potentially dumb question that is related to my job. Is it really felt or a woven fiber composite? The best way to tell is whether it wicks/holds water or repels.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Elephanthead posted:

Sound absorption.

This. And different impact response qualities. It handles small sharp impacts (rocks, etc) better than a thermo. As noted, it doesn't have the rebound qualities when bent though.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Quick! Someone grab the trademarks for the following before Porsche does:

Baycan
Caycan
Daycan
Faycan
Gaycan
Haycan
Jaycan
Kaycan
Naycan
Paycan
Raycan
Saycan
Vaycan
Waycan
Yaycan
Zaycan

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I helped a guy with a Bolt out today. He was on the side of the road because he 'ran out of juice'.

I offered him a ride, but he said a tow was on the way.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I drove my '13 Volt though the plains one spring and confirm 50+ mpg is easily doable at 70-75 mph in that environment.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Elon paid off the EPA

:colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

stevewm posted:

I've had that happen once on my Volt, and it is parked inside a garage!

I wiggled the J1772 handle a lot and got it to break free. I had drove home in rain the night before, so I guess some water got into charge port and froze over night.

I ended up wiping some silicone lube on the outer and inner flange part of the plug. Hasn't happened again and also made the plug easier to get in and out.

I actually broke the locking tab off of my volt's charger in freezing rain. The next time I went to charge it wouldn't. The good news is it was a clean break and I kept the tab, was able to gorilla glue it back on and make it work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Plymouth Duster cocaine ad, best car ad