Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Taintrunner posted:

I watched this movie on a whim for the first time in decades last night, it's uh, really loving good. Compared to movies now it's really refreshing to see characters that don't act like idiots for the sake of a plot, a good guy who goes out of his way to be a good guy even if it's risking everything, and some genuine tension. I also don't remember seeing any CGI! Really well done classic I feel like a lot of directors could learn from. Now I can't get enough of Tommy Lee Jones movies.

I was legit amazed in the scene where Gerard and Kimbel happen to quickly pass by each other on adjacent staircases, Gerard (Jones) actually stops, checks and manages to get Kimbel to unwittingly reveal himself by calling out "Richard!" and seeing his reaction.

Like, 99 out of 100 movies would have just let them pass each other by, and even the more clever ones might've had the pursuer stop for a moment, consider, and then shake his head and continue moving. Having a character actually follow through on that is just not something that happens in movies, but it did in this one.

LesterGroans posted:

"Y'all excited for Episode 1?"

Did you hear about those college kids who disappeared filming a documentary about some haunted woods? They found the footage they left behind, it'll make you poo poo your pants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lizardman posted:

Did you hear about those college kids who disappeared filming a documentary about some haunted woods? They found the footage they left behind, it'll make you poo poo your pants!

"If Twin Peaks gets cancelled I really don't see any way that David Lynch can recover"

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
the first movie i ever saw in theaters in america, only due to the fact that they wouldn't let me in to see the new Evil Dead that came out the same weekend

a forever imprinted sentimental visual memory

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 13, 2018

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Harrison Ford is somehow an even higher level of attractive with the beard at the beginning of the movie and what's actually a crime is he's not bearded in most of his other movies.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Harrison Ford is somehow an even higher level of attractive with the beard at the beginning of the movie and what's actually a crime is he's not bearded in most of his other movies.

He probably should have had a beard in TFA.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

porfiria posted:

He probably should have had a beard in TFA.

Definitely thought this. It's wild that more movies don't have him bearded. Is it because it's....TOO powerful a look?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

vivisectvnv posted:

the first movie i ever saw in theaters in america, only due to the fact that they wouldn't let me in to see the new Evil Dead that came out the same weekend

a forever imprinted sentimental visual memory

I'm... I'm gonna be honest, Army of Darkness is a loving great movie and you sort of missed out, but at the same time you really didn't because The Fugitive rules.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Definitely thought this. It's wild that more movies don't have him bearded. Is it because it's....TOO powerful a look?

Definitely

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rewatched this weekend, and yeah the whole movie holds up, regardless of obvious special effects. It also reminded me that whenever I'm looking for something, I will frequently say "where you at, Desmondo?" From the scene where he finds Richard's fake Janitor ID. That line always cracked me up.

And it probably goes without saying but the banter among all the agents is just so fun, even if it's too witty for real life. You can tell there's respect under the bossiness and snarkiness, like when he orders Newman to do something and then says "And don't let 'em give you any poo poo about your ponytail".

Also as a fan of Justified, this was a nice little easter egg from the opening train wreck aftermath scene: A much younger Art Mullen with hair.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fart City posted:

Does anybody remember A Perfect World? It apes the cat-and-mouse element of The Fugitive, but with Clint Eastwood (who also directed) chasing down Kevin Costner, who is an escaped felon who takes an eight year old kid hostage while on the run. Both films share a lot of the same tonal DNA, and it feels like it would make a good double feature.

I remember it not being super good, but I was much younger then. It was kind of a peak-Costner sort of thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Clint Eastwood, The Fugitive came out the same year as In the Line of Fire and one of the actors who was actually up for Best Supporting Actor in the same Oscars where Tommy Lee Jones won for playing Gerard was John Malkovich, who was the villain in In the Line of Fire.

One thing I read in a few articles released for Fugitive's 25-year anniversary was how these were a very distinct kind of "adult action thriller" which used to be huge but doesn't show up in the mainstream as much any more. Does anyone have any thoughts on what happened to them and where they've all gone?

It's tempting to just say "superheroes" but the current superhero movie craze we're in now started in 2008 and movies like this must have gone out earlier than that between 1993 and 2008.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think those kinds of things just shifted more to television, which does "pseudo mysteries with action consisting of people running at a moderate clip, often with guns pointed upwards" fairly often

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the kind of rated-R thrillers that you're talking about are just one of several sub-genres that fell victim to the extinction of mid-budget films in general that began in the mid/late 90's. Personally I blame the success of Titanic more than any other single film. Studios all of the sudden wanted to hit on that next billion dollar bonanza, and Cameron showed them that big budget spectacle was the way to go. Paying Harrison Ford a third of a 40 mil budget for a chance at a paltry few hundred million in box office return started to look like small potatoes by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Once again capitalism ruins everything.

• Locked thread