Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd been aware of this for years before I watched it because it's one of my dad's (a huge Harrison Ford fan) favourite movies. I only saw it for the first time myself last year and really enjoyed it. There was a craze in the 90s for movie reboots of television series from the 60s and I think this is one of the best (along with Addams Family Values and Mission: Impossible).

It's an odd thing for Tommy Lee Jones to have won an Oscar for; never mind not nominating movies like this any more, they don't nominate performances like this any more (see also: Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElectricSheep posted:

I do like how in the final act Nichols just outright assaults Kimble out of sight of the banquet because he's desperate and realizes that he's completely backed into a corner, which also leads to him trying to take on the US Marshals as well.

I remember there was a Cracked article from about 10 years ago (if not more) listing the most hilariously mismatched fights in action movies, one of which was Kimble and Nichols in The Fugitive. It speculated that Nichols is shown leaving a squash court when he's confronted by Gerards halfway through the movie because they realised they needed to give him some sort of athletic credibility for when he was sneaking around karate chopping US marshals and breaking chairs over Harrison Ford's head.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Joey Pantoliano said he was worried about his character being killed because he was hoping he could come back in the sequel, to which Harrison Ford (probably grumpily) responded, "There ain't gonna be a sequel cuz I ain't doin' one!"

That bit in the trailer where the voice-over guy's going "NO ONE HAD SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT!" and then it cuts to bored Tommy Lee Jones going, "I have," is funnier than they probably meant it to be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an amusing piece of awards trivia for The Fugitive. You may be aware that the Edgar Awards are presented to mystery fiction by the Mystery Writers of America. They used to have an award for motion picture screenplays, which were discontinued for some reason about 10 years ago.

The Fugitive was nominated in 1994 along with In the Line of Fire and another movie which beat both of them. And that movie (and remember, this is ostensibly for mystery/crime films) was Falling Down. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

And thus began that span of a few years in the '90s when studios did their damnedest to make "Tommy Lee Jones, action movie star" a thing.

Only a year before, he'd been allowed to look halfway competent as the villain in a Steven Seagal movies (from the sameness director, even).

Sure, Seagal beat him fairly effortlessly in the end but it's the thought that counts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Clint Eastwood, The Fugitive came out the same year as In the Line of Fire and one of the actors who was actually up for Best Supporting Actor in the same Oscars where Tommy Lee Jones won for playing Gerard was John Malkovich, who was the villain in In the Line of Fire.

One thing I read in a few articles released for Fugitive's 25-year anniversary was how these were a very distinct kind of "adult action thriller" which used to be huge but doesn't show up in the mainstream as much any more. Does anyone have any thoughts on what happened to them and where they've all gone?

It's tempting to just say "superheroes" but the current superhero movie craze we're in now started in 2008 and movies like this must have gone out earlier than that between 1993 and 2008.

• Locked thread