Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't remember the exact order everything unlocks but I know that some of the workshop research items are gated behind others and won't show up until the prerequisite has been researched first - it's possible he just hasn't bothered to research whatever project might lead in to the second disguise unlock yet.

CIA/KGB/Mossad get different unlocks at different points. I ended CIA with 4 disguises and Mossad didn't even get 2 until the game was almost over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The real disguise unlock is the cleaner tactical support and lots of body armour.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knobb Manwich posted:

The real disguise unlock is the cleaner tactical support and lots of body armour.

I feel like cleaner must not be working correctly because it doesn't just REDUCE heat gained by agents, it eliminates it entirely. It basically renders the entire mechanic of heat and cover identities pointless. I guess if you don't get tactical recon done then you won't be able to use it but that's pretty rare, and generally on jobs where you go in guns blazing you have as much time as you want to do it (like taking down beholder cells).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
New patch is out.

Highlights (for me at least):
Interconnected now only works if you tac-recon the mission first.
Agents on support jobs will now keep their customized appearance in cutscenes, rather than reverting to their default appearance.
You can skip body disposal and agent pickup cutscenes.

Plus other minor improvements and bug-fixes.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I picked this up during the steam sale and have played all weekend. I think it's fair to say this game is good for genre fans, but more casual squad based strategy fans are better served by XCOM. Save scumming is almost required for your first campaign because of the jank and nonsense. Like your perfect escape plan being foiled by an unbreakable window that doesn't appear to be special or reinforced, or perks and status effects that give you no clue what they actually do (what does it mean to be suppressed? What does a perk like "increases range, increases health, increases speed" actually do in terms of numbers?), or story mission bullshit (if I knew freeing this prisoner instantly alerted the guards, unlike every other prisoner I've ever rescued, I would have played the mission very differently!). The UI is hot garbage and the textures look muddy even after the very noticeable pop-in after a model loads.

Still, I am having a lot of fun. Still getting a grip on combat, but I beat the story base attack mission on my second attempt on normal difficulty which was pretty difficult. Really enjoying the infiltration mechanic, something I wished xcom had done more with when I was playing that game. The story and world building is engaging as well.

One question: how do I buy and sell equipment, instead of relying on finding or building it? I earn 'trade contacts' occasionally but have no idea what they are or how to engage them.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Equipment/trade contacts pop up as you progress through the story and run PoIs on the map. If you’re not getting any thing new you should probably do your story missions.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So they're like informers, and have a chance to pop up like a little shop when an agent investigates a city?

Another question - is there any reason to not complete an analysis corkboard as soon as possible, even if you haven't received all possible intel yet? Can the results be optimized somehow, or should you just complete them as quickly as possible?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There are situations when you might want to hold off solving the corkboard analysis, like when you're getting only pretty useless information out of solving them. The game unlocks new stuff in a gated fashion, so you could benefit sometimes from waiting until you do some mission. But it comes down to your preference really, in my opinion.

Also, savescumming is not that necessary in my experience. Just roll with the punches and if you gently caress up, fight your way out. If you lose agents, remember their sacrifice and move on. Gives the game more impact when you don't reload. There should be a memorial wall or something.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 26, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah, I get that and play almost every other game ironman. If I stumble into a room I failed to adequately scout, I deserve what I get. I just object to losing due to some unforeseeable and nonsensical problem, like the aforementioned unbreakable windows, or the random balcony you can't walk on while other allow you to, or how story mission prisoners have magic alarmed handcuffs despite no such thing happening when rescuing regular informants.

Thanks for the tip on the analyses!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Does this have controller support that I could play on steam link or?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

itskage posted:

Does this have controller support that I could play on steam link or?

The store page claims "partial controller support" whatever that means. I tried since you asked, and it says the game was not designed to be played with a controller but you can play with one, just need to configure the controls. So, maybe?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I want it either way, it just would be more accessible for me with steam link right now.

Maybe I'll dust off the steam controller.

Thanks for checking.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Steam's got a 50% off sale on Phantom Doctrine for about a day.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also they released mod support (apparently two weeks ago and I didn’t notice). It’s a bunch of csv files on a google drive, but it works.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
so the game is dead and won't be developed anymore?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Pretty much, it didn't hit sales goals and most of the folks moved on.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah. :( Bit of a shame really, since it is a good game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hang on it just got released to Switch? Looks like there is still activity on it?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I picked this game back up recently, and I've hit a bit of a roadblock: the Tai Pan mission. It was obviously designed before the Actor perk was rebalanced to not be "disguised agents are basically invisible," and never given a look afterwards. I'm a CIA team, so I've got 2 disguised actors, but getting them in position to knock out Tai Pan and his bodyguards is impossible, since the waiter leaning against the wall is in the one square that Tai Pan's vision doesn't cover. The waiter doesn't seem to be distracted by decoy grenades, either (thrown by agents below the balcony). Any suggestions other than going loud? I know I can do that, and I'm probably going to have to, but I was just wondering if anyone else has done this mission (or played this game :v: ) since the Actor rebalance. I actually like the change, except for this one instance where it seems to make staying stealthy impossible.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
When all else fails, resort to murder. I don't remember if the actor rebalance option can be turned off mid-mission or not. It's been a while since I played this game, but I'm going to start again today.

This is such a good game, goddamn. Does anyone know if you can add your own photos to the list of mugshots by some modding magic?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Game is currently 70% off on Steam.

I see that it has some mod support, but it looks like mods that are actually available are pretty limited. Anyone played around with it, or is the community effectively dead?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Thanks for reminding me about mods; I found the mugshot modding instructions in the Phantom Doctrine modding guide. Now I can add Jason Bourne, James Bond and Ethan Hunt along with others to my game. Awesome! Just rename these pictures to 500_m_C.jpg, 501_m_C etc., like the modding guide shows. I tested these and they seem to work.

Installation path of modded portraits:

common\PhantomDoctrine\IWTB\Mods\CFG\Portraits

Modding Guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vLb9X9oFMGL18Lu7yqkSwG0PJxNZgh9Sjmp7_ALLhmI/edit

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hobo on Fire posted:

Game is currently 70% off on Steam.

I see that it has some mod support, but it looks like mods that are actually available are pretty limited. Anyone played around with it, or is the community effectively dead?

So I picked this up because it had been on my wish list forever and it's only $12. However, I played 2 hours and requested/got a refund.
There was a game-breaking bug for me where the UI on the intel analysis board doesn't scale correctly (at 4k full screen), not letting me place new information on the board in the right place.
It's too bad really, I like the game play.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

TotalLossBrain posted:

So I picked this up because it had been on my wish list forever and it's only $12. However, I played 2 hours and requested/got a refund.
There was a game-breaking bug for me where the UI on the intel analysis board doesn't scale correctly (at 4k full screen), not letting me place new information on the board in the right place.
It's too bad really, I like the game play.

That's unfortunate, I have been playing in 1920*1080 and have had no problems. Using the agents to analyse intel might still work with the bug, but the conspiracy board is a fun thing to play with. Glad your refund got through. Did you try windowed mode by any chance? If so, was there any difference?

Discount is still on until Monday, 25 hours from now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Check out the modding guide and see if you can mod the game yourself to your satisfaction. I’m dumb and I was able to DIY it, it’s just editing spreadsheets.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Getting ready to start my first game after getting it on sale a while back, any general advice for 1st time players?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Getting ready to start my first game after getting it on sale a while back, any general advice for 1st time players?

Don't try to farm because equipment is tied to story progress. All your stuff will constantly become obsolete by the next tier. Also the game is grindy enough as is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So far this game seems to be both badly designed and oddly engaging?

:iiam:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Game... good?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Game good for a few nights then game tedious and i'm not quite sure how many people finished it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is a long shot but does anyone know how to mod the game so that the “kill everyone on the map” missions don’t show up in the random rotation? I tried a replay to see the other factions and man those missions just bring my enthusiasm to a screeching halt (esp since if you don’t do them in time, the waves of reinforcements get added to the kill list too)

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Got this recently on PS4. After a week of play to reach CIA chapter 4 I'm exhausted. The strategy layer is superb and addicting but the tactical layer is so bland and repetitive it makes me tremble every time a suspicious activity show up. I'm losing sanity here.

Anyone has tips for making the game more pleasant? I'm considering simply letting enemy recons roll from now on and accept the Danger.

An auto-resolve button for side-missions wouldn't make the game perfect, but would solve most of my problem right now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

lessavini posted:

Got this recently on PS4. After a week of play to reach CIA chapter 4 I'm exhausted. The strategy layer is superb and addicting but the tactical layer is so bland and repetitive it makes me tremble every time a suspicious activity show up. I'm losing sanity here.

Yeah, the turn based tactics parts suck HARD after a while IMO. I remember at least one mission fairly early was literally impossible to survive in a really cheap "All moves lead to a guy with a heavy machine gun who never misses" way.

Everything about dicking around in your hideout is fun.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I never really got tired of the sneaking-around-mugging-people simulator.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
For anyone on the fence with today's discount on Steam (8€), I personally like this game a lot and would recommend it for spy fans. The usual caveats apply; not for everyone's tastes and some people have rightly complained about repetitive gameplay aspects here and there. I play the game once in a while so that I don't get so tired of the sneaking around. For 8€ I think it's worth it. Hell, I paid a lot more than that and got my money's worth.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They've announced a sequel and it's...a third person action game? Well, I'm curious, anyway https://store.steampowered.com/app/1345450/Phantom_Doctrine_2_The_Cabal/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

They've announced a sequel and it's...a third person action game? Well, I'm curious, anyway https://store.steampowered.com/app/1345450/Phantom_Doctrine_2_The_Cabal/

Interesting - I'll have to keep an eye on it!
Your old organisation becoming the antagonists in the sequel also makes the naming choice make more sense, since I mean, whoever heard of a group of good guys named 'The Cabal'? :D

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hmm. 3rd person action does not appeal to me as much as the first game, but if they make the sequel even half as good as the original Phantom Doctrine, I will buy it no questions asked.

Btw, if you're interested in spy movies, TENET is loving spectacular. Sci-fi, spies, heists, buddy movie and action blended to a unique mix. The writer/director Nolan is a treasure. I took the liberty to add the main characters portraits to my Phantom Doctrine mods. It is easy to do for yourself with the instructions earlier in this thread, so I won't include them here. Google a jpg portrait of your favorite spy character, rename the file as instructed and add to the mods folder.

Once again, I am back playing this game. Goddamn I love it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Hey Phantom Doctrine thread, I just picked up Company of Crime, and it's pushing a lot of the same buttons PD did for me. It's an XCOM-like with short missions (at least so far, I'm still kinda early on) and it discourages killing people. You play as a crew of criminals trying to take over the London underworld in the 1960s. There's also a police campaign, where you run a crew of detectives from Scotland Yard, but I haven't touched that side yet.

There are a lot of environmental attacks, and an emphasis on positioning. Some attacks can only be done from certain positions (poke in the eye can only be done from the front, table slam can only be done if there's a table to slam someone into), and a character's zone of control (allows opportunity attacks if someone crosses through) only extends to the front and sides. I'm starting to get into the mindset that disrupting someone's turn by grabbing them or having one guy stand in a doorway to keep a roomful of enemies from joining a fight is just as good as punching them sometimes. There are 4 classes: Bouncer (throws people around), Smuggler (concealment/stealth, but doesn't seem significantly weaker than the other classes so far), Torturer (status effects, which are inflicted by doing things like Poke in the Eye to blind someone or Hit With Chair to disorient them, both of which remove their zone of control for a turn), and Brain (ranged attacks, and buffs/debuffs). Everyone can also tie someone up (grab them from behind, keeping them from doing anything for their turn and opening them up to taking bonus damage from other attacks; the Bouncer's Wrestle does basically the same thing but can be used from any position) and Kick someone back a square (which does bonus damage if you kick them into an object or another character). I think some of the abilities are repeated between classes, they just get them at different levels.

HP is split into Health and Stamina (with health being smaller and taking longer to recover during downtime; most of my characters have something like 6 or 7 Health and 30-40 Stamina). Most basic attacks do stamina damage, but weapons and some abilities/environmental attacks do both. For example, your fists might do 3-6 stamina damage. Using a hammer instead might do 1-2 health damage and 4-8 stamina damage. Knocking people out by dropping their stamina to 0 takes them out of the fight entirely (there may be abilities or items that can recover a downed character, but I haven't seen any yet), and almost all of my missions so far have had "Don't Kill Anyone" as an objective, so I haven't been. I'm guessing it causes cops to arrive sooner and/or generates a lot more heat. I've had one police raid so far because of high heat. The objective was to grab some evidence and escape the building, so I used crowd-control abilities to knock a couple people out of the way and only beat up the one or two people that I had to in order for everyone to make it out.

The missions tend to be short, with small maps (a single building, sometimes with an upper floor, and a bit of street/alley outside). The maps repeat themselves, but it's because you're mostly going to the same locations (pubs, laundromats, restaurants). I ran into trouble right away the one time I tried splitting up my crew to hit the back door and front door at the same time, so I haven't done that since, but most missions let you choose from 2 or 3 entry points. Mission types include Extortion (beat up the target and leave), Robbery (take all the loot and leave), and Beat Up (beat up everyone and leave). There's not a ton of variety in the objectives, but the combat itself is pretty fun, with the different environmental attacks and combos you can do with characters (one of your dudes grabs an enemy from behind, then another one kicks them in the groin from the front for a big damage bonus). It seems to be inevitable that the cops will be called once the fighting starts. I haven't been beating up civilians, though, and I have a feeling that the cops getting called is tied to them getting outside of the building and to an escape zone (even though they don't actually use it to escape). I'm not sure about that part. Reinforcements work like Phantom Doctrine, and, so far, the first wave has always been 2 cops who appear after 4 rounds. There are multiple escape zones, and your characters don't all have to use the same one.

It's got a weird Eurojank feel to it, but hasn't crashed or had any bugs so far. It's not quite Phantom Doctrine But Sixties Crime, but I'm enjoying it and thought some of you might too, seeing as how PD2 is going to be something different. After about a half hour (if that), you'll have seen pretty much everything Company of Crime has to offer (again, i'm only in the second district out of maybe a dozen or so, they might switch things up drastically later, but I doubt it). Higher level characters have more abilities, of course, but if the basic gameplay doesn't grab you, having more options for it probably won't change your mind. It's kind of a niche game, but so is Phantom Doctrine, and they play similarly enough that I figured some of you might be interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Thanks for the info. Company of crime looks somewhat interesting, the art style sure has a very classy 1960's feel to it. I am too busy at the moment to try out new games, but I will keep an eye on this one for now. I might fancy a game of cops and robbers, even though the spy genre is more my thing.

Speaking of which, Phantom Doctrine 2: The Cabal is being developed by the same company in Poland that made the original Phantom Doctrine, but because of the sales of the first one were relatively low, the company lost many of their original staff and their CEO around 2019. Unfortunate. There's been some corporate restructuring since.

It's a damned shame that PD isn't better known or more successful businesswise as a game franchise. If the second one turns up good, I will be very pleased. Judging from what information they've released so far, it's hard to say if it will be great or not. There is potential though. I will buy it on day one to try it out.

I hope we get a release date announced sometime soon. I don't think it is very close, though.

I really wish I had more time to play games. :sigh: Lately I've been only playing some of my favorites like Phantom Doctrine, Spelunky 1 & 2 and occasionally Elite Dangerous. Once the Odyssey expansion hits ED, I will be diving into that in a big way, but I will make time for PD2 when it arrives. Please be soon. If I were to have to wait until 2022 I would be even busier by then.