Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In the interest of seeing some actual progress I'll give you the benefit of my 35 seconds of googling extensive years of research

Rather than drilling holes in your shelf sit your plant pot misting vessel on the shelf with some fabric stretched over the top. Your plant pot misting vessel will need a drain and a misting/spray nozzle inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know anything about aeroponics, but it sounds like tech bros 'disrupting' farming. What's wrong with good ole fashioned dirt? What's the supposed advantage of aeroponics vs hydroponics vs dirt?

Sounds like another question that can only be answered by extensive years of research.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The whole interior wall as a chimney/radiator, that's a logical conclusion of the contemporary design, always neat to see something like that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Have you plugged any numbers into the dome generator calculators?

This 6v dome calculator shows a 20m diameter dome requires triangular panes over 2m a side.

Basically domes this big are monstrous constructions.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 8, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yes I've seen domeramas' expired certificate site.

It's endearingly Geocities isn't it.

quote:

I leaned more toward a 4/9 3v when I started thinking about this. If the windows wind up needing to be huge, I'll frame smaller triangle shapes together to fit. The glass doesn't need to be one constant piece, and will likely be leftover greenhouse poo poo anyhow.

Kicks, I was thinking 2x6 or 2x8 timber for the frame. It's just more cost effective than ordering a steel kit, especially if I wind up just using thin, flexible plastic poo poo for the windows. And yeah, it's cold and dry enough there that it's likely a good enough choice.

Triangular frames 4.4/4.2m per side. Even subdivided you'll need those 4.2/4.4m lengths as single pieces for strength I guess, unless they're all doubled or tripled up. Kind of feels like the higher v domes make more sense the larger you go, but I'm not a professional dome-guy.

quote:

E: there's also that new transparent wood that's in development.

Haha lol no. Wood treated and bleached then infused with clear resin, plastic or glass would be better/cheaper/infinitely easier to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean that's what that 'clear wood' was, if I understood it correctly. Bleached 1mm thick wood with hydrogen peroxide, then treated with clear epoxy. It's basically fiberglass with lignin instead of glass fibers.

Yeah sorry, I punctuated that poorly:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Haha lol no. Wood treated and bleached then infused with clear resin?

Plastic or glass would be better/cheaper/infinitely easier to get.