Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know anything about aeroponics, but it sounds like tech bros 'disrupting' farming. What's wrong with good ole fashioned dirt? What's the supposed advantage of aeroponics vs hydroponics vs dirt?

You can grow year-round (even 24/7) and completely out of climate, since it's indoors it's much easier to keep out pests and therefore there's no need to use pesticides, it can be stacked vertically so it can take up a much smaller footprint (which means you can either grow more food per sqft or use less sqft), and depending on the plants being grown it uses vastly less water than traditional irrigation. You can also do it in existing, unused urban or suburban spaces.

Some of the things humanity could do with the amount of farmland we could potentially free up include "plant a bazillion trees and agroforestry gardens in the space, for richer soil and healthier produce while still using that land productively" or "let the farmland become completely rewilded and do massive carbon offset". On top of that, just making farming vertical means less carbon-miles burned to haul all the food around.

The roots / fungi thing is a legitimate concern, but it's sort of balanced by the water/transport costs/fertilizer issue. Dismissing it out of hand as techbro poo poo is ridiculous.

TL;DR: all the benefits of hydroponics, much less water, but a decent amount of tradeoffs.

Hexigrammus posted:

I've done hydroponics. It has its place - mainly if you're tight for space in a windowless basement and can deal with the mold, or industrial sized operations. It's fun but it ain't green - too much plastic and energy use.

This isn't an issue with hydro per se, though. The issues with plastic are just an input and their own problem to be solved, and the energy stuff is half "we need to get off fossil fuels", half "it's energy-intensive but probably less so than industrial agriculture if you factory in supply chain transportation costs" into the mix.

I think any future that's not basically survival horror is going to involve a combination of agroforestry, small-scale permaculture, industrial hydro/aero, and an ever-reducing share of the picture for industrial ag that may never actually go away entirely, but will see a rewilding or conversion to perma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Dawncloack posted:

Specially the schematic, I hadn't thought of a cloth.

For what it's worth, I only have a few air plants that are strictly ornamental so this might not work to scale or with things that have to support fruit, but my go-to method for tilsandia and the like is chicken mesh in a wood frame. Not sure how well that would do with normal terrestrial plants, though, because air plants tend to be light as gently caress and easily balanced on things, and they're pretty hardy little fuckers.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 14, 2020