Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm putting some thought into a greenhouse dome large enough to build a house within. I want a comfortable patch of grass my dog can poo poo on in relative warmth in a high alpine valley. Also a tree or two I'll have to bitch about pruning a few times a year after a decade of untended growth. Rig up something to open windows at the top and have a bunch hinged so they can open in arms' reach. Slap a little 600 sq ft cabin inside and enjoy low heating costs. I'm thinking a 60ft diameter would get me what I'm looking for, and possibly make the county scratch their heads over approving anything I bring them.

The county I'm looking at has like, 2 pages for land use permit information. 40psf snow load, 115mph wind, 2018 IBC/IRC, requisite soil survey for septic, well permit, utilities inspections, etc. Access permit is $50, mailing address permit is $50, cheap building permit as long as it's not a trailer, which carry very heavy permit fees as a means of keeping people from dragging them into the county.

No way in hell I'm getting a loan for the dome, so I'll have to piece it together after I beg the USDA for a rural development loan for the cabin first. It's a couple years away, but that's what I'm daydreaming about. It's going to be a lot of math and glass and manual labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Humidity is not really a concern at 7500 feet of elevation. Well, not as much as it is at sea level.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

kicks forts posted:

I saw a geodesic dome made of bolted together hexagonal acrylic sheets; I don't know the difference between solid acrylic and glass in heat retention other than glass will be better in every way. I don't even know if big acrylic hexes are cheaper than glass but they would be pretty hard to break.

Have you considered polythene sheeting? It's a cheaper, much worse version of glass. But it's cheaper.

Also a dome or greenhouse without "permanent" foundations counts as a temporary structure in my locale so might help avoid permits. although if they hate trailers maybe that's not much help.

Maybe just a glass walled porch facing the sun to trap heat in the house? There is an amusing trend of people in rainy England getting glasshouse/conservatories build onto their house as a connected room, and everyone wilts from the heat in the first summer and replaces the glass roof lol.

I haven't spent the most time researching window panels yet. I'll likely panel up some north facing spaces with wood for a while before eventually replacing them with some variety of acrylic or vinyl, maybe recycle some glass.

I'd probably put in concrete piles for a foundation. The counties out there are rough on trailers because they don't want to be littered with even more trailers. Lots of weird properties out there, but it's not the wild west it used to be. A dome would probably be welcome, it's more about not making yet another eyesore. It's cheap rear end land out there, so it attracts a demographic of crazy people who are probably too deep into UFOs and bigfoot. It's a high alpine valley that's a good deal of scrubland.

Those glass walled porch greenhouse things just aren't what I'm looking for, I can't grow a few thousand square feet of grass in something that small. Winters are a bit rough up there and I'm not kidding when I say I want warm grass for my dog to poo poo on in January. I'll settle for better than freezing. I'd love to do a 20 meter diameter dome, but 15 meter would probably get me what I'm looking for, though a little tight.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes I've seen domeramas' expired certificate site. I leaned more toward a 4/9 3v when I started thinking about this. If the windows wind up needing to be huge, I'll frame smaller triangle shapes together to fit. The glass doesn't need to be one constant piece, and will likely be leftover greenhouse poo poo anyhow.

Kicks, I was thinking 2x6 or 2x8 timber for the frame. It's just more cost effective than ordering a steel kit, especially if I wind up just using thin, flexible plastic poo poo for the windows. And yeah, it's cold and dry enough there that it's likely a good enough choice.

All still very preliminary. Any actual building is a minimum of a year away.

E: there's also that new transparent wood that's in development.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 8, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll be picking an engineers mind at some point, because the county is probably going to want stamped plans for it. I'll generally take their advice on this.

Going to need to talk to one about the cabin itself anyhow, since I'm planning on using cribbed 4x4s for the walls. There's current precedent for it in EZLog cabin kits, but 4x4s bought locally from a mill will be cheaper, and 3/4" thicker than the walls they provide in their premium models. I did the math at one point for 1200sqft of interior space, stacking 4x4s is more expensive than traditional stick framed walls, but stronger and easier to do with little manpower. There's amish in the area, too, and some of them do contract roofing and construction.

I would love to do a post and beam structure with hempcrete walls, the insulation value is great, but the lime used is expensive and from some part of France, so it'd absolutely murder the skin-of-my-rear end budget I'll be working on.

I might buy land this year for this project. Might. Kinda dependent on some stuff, but there's a chance I wind up throwing in on a big plot of land with a friend so we can share septic and a well. If that pans out, I'll probably be able to start the cabin next year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Baronash posted:

I'm with the person upthread who suggested an agricultural-style greenhouse. You could still build your cabin inside, but my assumption is that you would probably get more usable space out of it. Alternatively, you could get away with a smaller greenhouse that butts up against your cabin. Still gives your dog the front yard vibe.

I've thought about this too. There's a handful of failed weed greenhouses in the area and I'm sure the recycling yard is littered with good materials. It ends up being more expensive in materials to build a traditional style greenhouse than a dome, though. Usable square footage is an obvious increase but I'm not as worried about around the edges, that's grass and garden space.

I've thought about secondary greenhouses radiating from it, which is a good idea too. Like I said, all of this is very preemptive planning, there's a chance I change my mind on a lot of details based on what ends up being cost effective. If that means a smaller greenhouse over the cabin and a handful of small ones attached and around it, so be it.

That transparent wood poo poo was in the news today so it felt relevant. I'd be curious to see how it holds up to a good Colorado hail storm though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
More like this than that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zoB8Z3y3E

But with locally milled lumber instead of a shipped kit from the east coast.

kicks forts posted:

Haha wow I just realized 20m wide means a 10 metre tall dome. Wow. I know it doesn't have to be a perfect semicircle but do it anyway. one storey cabin w/a three story chimney.

County limit is 35 feet tall before variance is required.

Also why I like the 4/9 domes over 5/9 domes, so more like 9~ meters tall.