Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh hey, poo poo I know some vague stuff about.

Off the top of my head:

There's a whole lotta total bullshit snake oil floating around, gardening books published 20 years ago probably hold more valuable info than most "Permaculture" rags shat out over the past decade. There's a few gems though, OP since you're in Virginia I suggest a copy of "Farming the Woods: an integrated permaculture approach to growing food and medicinals in temperate forests". Great book, well worth the price, total waste of $$$ to me because it focuses on the E/NE continental USA and I live in BC. Be warned: This is not a pop farming book, it's a fuckin' textbook, there is science in there.

Cultivating worms is good and essential for rich loamy soil.

Bathouses are your friend for keeping local bug levels down.

At least one beehive will significantly increase the productivity of your garden, and are relatively low maintenance once you get the hang of things.

Ehhhh I slept like crap, I'll come back and post more later.

I've been planning on escaping to a total off-grid lifestyle here in BC for the better part of a decade, but our climate is harsh and all things are not transferable to the eden-esque USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I am working my way through Ben Falks "The Risiliant Farm & Homestead" and it's a truly fantastic resource for cold-climate companion agriculture. That he can grow rice in North Vermont is simply astounding.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dawncloack posted:

Would you do a bullet points summary?

I could do the same with other permaculture booKs.

-> Lots of excellent visual aids and examples of regenerative land use planning. I can't emphasize this enough, this book is beautifully illustrated in an educational fashion which just blows many others I've read out of the water. The balance between instructional text and visuals is perfect.

-> Emphasis on applying concepts as needed to your own land, or even modifying them, rather than rigidly adhering to things in a cult-like fashion. Too many books in this field insist that you need to use systems developed for temperate Australia, which is cray-cray.

-> Endless case studies from his own experiences over the ten years of developing his land down in Vermont. What's worked, what hasn't, what he'll change in the future (a couple years back he mentioned a revised edition coming at some point which will expand on many things, the current edition is six years old)

-> Good, but short, section on concerns of the actual "home" portion of a homestead.

I'm not even close to finishing it, and find myself flipping around quite a bit to peek at new sections, so there's probably more I could write. This is some good poo poo, up there with Farming the woods (which I found to be far too focused on the deep science of commercial operations) or Edible Forest Gardens v1&2 (which I've only browsed through, and was quite overwhelmed).