Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you're going to already do trenching, read about geothermal heat pumps. The majority of the cost associated with installation in existing homes is the trenching.

A frames are a bitch to heat / cool / ventilate right (you can get it right, just get an expert to can prove they've designed HVAC for an A frame that worked well before). With metal roofing and EPS-insulated siding, it's not even like A frames have a maintenance advantage against a more traditional home form factor.

If I had your money, it would go into a craftsman with a white metal roof and fullback EPS vinyl siding as thick as I could buy it. No basement because gently caress pouring money into an actual hole. That's money more efficiently spent above ground or in investments.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 10, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Consider that an attached, well-insulated, climate-conditioned garage with a concrete pad pour over insulated fill can be absolute heaven in bad weather and winter.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have a cousin who installed geothermal HVAC in an artificial runoff pond. It cost him about $4k in the pumping and heat exchanger equipment itself, $1k of a licensed HVAC installer's time hooking up the traditional parts of the system, and a $1k bobcat at auction in Sacramento

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you don't want this to be a "dump ideas / experience / things you've read" thread please say so :)

Also, are you licensed to operate a nuclear reactor in the United States :jeb: